*** The Official Xbox One Thread ***

Soldato
Horizon didn't take too long, depends how quick you can dl a 2gb patch tbh

As folk suggested to me earlier, if you put your xbox one in offline mode before firing a disc in, you'll at least get that installed in 5-10 mins, if not it'll download the patch as it is installing from the disc. It's a bit of a cluster **** imo

Associate
Install times is such a non-issue. Is it really so bad to wait an hour for the game to install before you play it the first time. It only needs installing once.

Anyway, surely install time from disc is largely limited by the read time of the optical drive. How anyone would think a next-gen console could somehow install a game faster than any other system with a disc drive, I do not know. :confused:

Edit: As for patches, I downloaded the Destiny demo last week and it probably took around 90 minutes to d/l 20GB. I was happy with that and if I weren't, again, I wouldn't be blaming the console.

Last edited:
Soldato
Install times is such a non-issue. Is it really so bad to wait an hour for the game to install before you play it the first time. It only needs installing once.

Anyway, surely install time from disc is largely limited by the read time of the optical drive. How anyone would think a next-gen console could somehow install a game faster than any other system with a disc drive, I do not know. :confused:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-install-times-should-be-faster-microsoft-/1100-6423131/

Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
Install times is such a non-issue. Is it really so bad to wait an hour for the game to install before you play it the first time.

Yes, it is. Even the PS3 didn't take that long and it got crucified all the time for long install times.

Anyway, surely install time from disc is largely limited by the read time of the optical drive. How anyone would think a next-gen console could somehow install a game faster than any other system with a disc drive, I do not know.

Probably because the other next-gen console doesn't take nearly as long, opting to install most of the data in the background instead.

MS seem to be working on it though so there's hope yet.

Associate
I'm with Bobby, I really have no issues with install times. I usually make a brew in that time. I'm all for improvement but I'll be just as happy if it remains the way it is. My sister's got the PS4 and when I put the GTA V disk in first time and it began installing the game I felt that was a quite slow. Are you saying that the XB1 would be twice as slow? I don't have GTAV on XB1 so I cannot make a comparison.

Last edited:
Soldato
Woke up only got at 42% install the forza 5 that being downloaded from live. Should it really take that long. Had Xbox on standby or should I've left it on as when on standby there wasn't any internet activity according to my router stats

Soldato
I'm with Bobby, I really have no issues with install times. I usually make a brew in that time. I'm all for improvement but I'll be just as happy if it remains the way it is. My sister's got the PS4 and when I put the GTA V disk in first time and it began installing the game I felt that was a quite slow. Are you saying that the XB1 would be twice as slow? I don't have GTAV on XB1 so I cannot make a comparison.

The XB1 install times can be MUCH, MUCH slower. This video is fairly amusing.

Yes they are actually playing the PS4 version using the HDMI input for a long, long time, whilst the XB1 version is still installing.

Installtion times haven't improved since a year ago so it's still valid.

Soldato
And the big cheese has already officially said its on his top priorities list. Why are people banging on about it still? :p

Are you saying microsoft are working on it?

I suppose it only a one time install. I love the machine and the controller just came shock how long it take install coming from a 360

Soldato
I don't think the install times are the problem, it's the ridiculously large updates. On my broadband (6mb), it takes an absolute age for anything to download. Huge day one updates shouldn't be allowed.

Caporegime
Thought the main reason the XB1 has slower installs is that the PS4 has dedicated hardware with a small 256mg buffer of ram to help?

Read the IGN link. The reason why the install times are slower is due to their decision to not make it an 'online only' console. As they changed this last minute it threw a lot of developers.

Back
Top Bottom