The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
That you're indefensibly clutching at hope that he's not giving out free subscriptions despite evidence to the contrary.

The leak said 10k organisations.

I personally expanded that to individuals, specifying LeBron James and it was discussed with... you...

Now we reached the 20th and whaddya know, Elon is paying for LeBron James's subscription.

No, you originally said 10k large accounts, you were corrected that it was actually 10k organisations. You're now changing tact it seems. Considering you've been the one going on about it, you would think you would know who it applies to

He isn't giving out free subs to individuals, just because he's done a few doesn't mean its some sort of broad policy, as evidence by the fact that ticks are disappearing from people.

I don't really care that he's giving out free subs to some people, he's following through with removing legacy ticks, which i think he should do.

Last edited:
No, you originally said 10k large accounts, you were corrected that it was actually 10k organisations. You're now changing tact it seems. Considering you've been the one going on about it, you would think you would know who it applies to

He isn't giving out free subs to individuals, just because he's done a few doesn't mean its some sort of broad policy, as evidence by the fact that ticks are disappearing from people.

I don't really care that he's giving out free subs to some people, he's following through with removing legacy ticks, which i think he should do.

Originally? So the 2nd of this month where I quote the report of the report and decided to interpret it as not just organisations but people too?

Highly amusing

Ten thousand of the most-followed organisations on Twitter will be exempt from the rules, the New York Times reports, citing an internal Twitter document.

The petty demands won't apply to organisations or people who don't need Twitter but generate massive engagement without shouting at Twitter engineers to inflate their numbers.

If you're a wannabe or just too small well you have no leverage so pay up.

See, Elon does know who creates the product on Twitter.

Then the 10th of this month I specified a person and talked about it with you because I see no difference, none at all, between a large Twitter account run by an organisation and one run by someone with a huge personal brand.

Not sure if it's true or not. My personal opinion is Musk should follow through.
Well here's the very imminent problem with the answer, much more visible than any financial problems it may cause which Elon might never confess to.

Lets take LeBron James as the example, he's absurdly rich and said he's not paying for a sub, he's also ~27th largest Twitter account.

If Joe Bloggs is looking at basketball tweetings and sees CareerGrifter39, HopefulInfluencer27, 10,000 random kids and Piers Morgan tweeting away, burying LeBron James then the user is getting a worse experience even if they are the ones paying!

If LeBron James is given a default sub status because Elon is forced to accept that BIG NAMES are the product people come to Twitter for then he will have visibly crawled right back to the starting point of giving major users special status.

Heck, we now know Elon likes following the BBC on Twitter, many accounts but @BBCBreaking is basically same size as LeBron James. If they don't cough up is he going to kneecap them too.

These big accounts are big because of their status outside Twitter and by their status outside Twitter they bring an audience. It is incredibly dodgy to make being on Twitter inconvenient for them.

I've not changed tack at all.

Then on the supposed last day of the old blue ticks lets start it by giving a sub to... LeBron James who clearly said no to subbing and Stephen King who stated that Twitter should be paying him to be there.

Early days, I expect this to head right back to giving major users special status but this time with direct interference from the owner who decides if they deserve it.

Last edited:
Hold on are you saying that they expected it to blow up then, like a failsafe?
You need to brush up on the history of space flight, and what NASA had to go through before landing a man on the moon. They went through far worse. And dozens of Dragon rockets blew up in tests and now their ferrying people and satellites all the time and haven't failed since, including William Shatner.

Rockets and cars are wildly different

Twitter is a mess right now. Saw a verified Adele account make a top comment in a thread, nope just a different paid for account, goes to check the expected Adele account, yep no blue tick. How is this platform useable now?

For every tweet made now we have to go play detective to see if it's legit or not. What a disaster this is.

Twitter is a mess right now. Saw a verified Adele account make a top comment in a thread, nope just a different paid for account, goes to check the expected Adele account, yep no blue tick. How is this platform useable now?

For every tweet made now we have to go play detective to see if it's legit or not. What a disaster this is.

It is just an absurd attempted cash grab. It doesn't actually make any sense.

...so in that respect it's pretty much like the global economy.

Always expect greed to win over any sort of sense or decency.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]
Crazy that 1960s NASA was not only able to build the most powerful functioning rocket the world has ever seen, but also keep building new ones for six straight years, with no loss of crew or payload over 13 flights.

Have I read this incorrectly, are you claiming no one has died in a rocket that nasa built?

I think my sarcasm meeter was broken during this reply :p

Last edited:

Exactly what I was coming to post

Legit accounts going down and fakes springing up with a blue tick. $8 is am absolute bargain for a scammer.
Seeing loads of US ones, like our HMRC equivalent springing up which are obvious scams.

Platform just went from trustworthy way to engage with suppliers etc to one you really need to be careful of.

6D chess it would seem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom