The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most are paying it seems, if Elon is paying for a few.

He isn't paying, he just thought he could get away with handing out check marks and hoped no one would question it. People have now noticed. That could still be seen as fraud though, people will think they've paid, it says they've paid but they haven't. Would be funny if they sued him.

No, out of the people paying so far, most are doing it themselves. Unless 'a few' is different to Elon than me.
King has stated he has neither paid for his account, nor supplied a phone number.

Musk meanwhile has stated that "he is paying for some accounts himself"

So it looks like Musk has applied the check mark to some accounts where the high profile user has refused to pay and is trying to make it look like they've caved.

He isn't paying, he just thought he could get away with handing out check marks and hoped no one would question it. People have now noticed. That could still be seen as fraud though, people will think they've paid, it says they've paid but they haven't. Would be funny if they sued him.
King has stated he has neither paid for his account, nor supplied a phone number.

Musk meanwhile has stated that "he is paying for some accounts himself"

So it looks like Musk has applied the check mark to some accounts where the high profile user has refused to pay and is trying to make it look like they've caved.

He isn't paying for thousands of accounts, is he. A few is a few...

No, out of the people paying so far, most are doing it themselves. Unless 'a few' is different to Elon than me.

And Musk has started following through with removing legacy which Klink was adamant he wouldn't.

When did I say he wouldn't follow though? I said he is walking into a world of pain with impersonation. Even more so now with people who refuse to pay as there are no checks to stop people impersonating them. It could be argued he hasn't followed though if he's handing out free checks.

Last edited:
He isn't paying for thousands of accounts, is he. A few is a few...

Errr...

We talked about this earlier, there was a leak that 10,000 large accounts are going to have their subscription "paid for"/free.

Now we see evidence that this leak was based in fact.

I don't think all 10,000 of them are going to volunteer the fact they're one of the chosen, maybe it even gets withdrawn if they complain about it.

Errr...

We talked about this earlier, there was a leak that 10,000 large accounts are going to have their subscription "paid for"/free.

Now we see evidence that this leak was based in fact.

I don't think all 10,000 of them are going to volunteer the fact they're one of the chosen, maybe it even gets withdrawn if they complain about it.

Easy to check...

Now go to their profiles...

How many in the top 20 have check marks?

Easy to check...

Now go to their profiles...

How many in the top 20 have check marks?

Easy to look at a lack of evidence of anything... ?

There was no mention of guarantee about who was getting on the leaked list of 10,000 free subscriptions and they have been removing legacy checkmarks for weeks now.

I expect Elon will personally vet every single free subscription to decide if they deserve it.

Seeing him visibly hand out free subscriptions at all is evidence that he's willing to give out free subscriptions for his own/Twitter's purposes. Which aligns with the leak of giving out free subscriptions.

Whilst I doubt King would even bother I do wonder how close Twitter's prank comes to libel?
If one of those celebs wanted to I can quite see how a competent lawyer argue that paying for a blue tick now being seen as an endorsement of the company and how it is run.
Celebs tend to get quite annoyed when companies pretend they've been endorsed by them when they haven't.
[edit] and before someone says "but before they must have been happy to have that tick that implied endorsement", it's again worth noting the pre musk blue tick was not an endorsement of Twitter, it was Twitter doing the minimum it needed to do to avoid being successfully sued by people whose likenesses/names were used in scams etc by saying "this account really is X"[/edit]

I somehow suspect Musk may not have run this past a lawyer who is an expert in this field.

Meanwhile the likes of law enforcement, state agencies etc in the US are all finding they're not only no longer blue ticked, but in many instances don't have a "verified" tag, and the impersonators seem to be coming out already.
And it's even worse for agencies from outside the US.

[edit 2]
Apparently at least one high profile tick was emailed by a twitter employee to say Musk could "comp him", when he did not accept the offer Musk did it anyway.

Last edited:
Easy to look at a lack of evidence of anything... ?

There was no mention of guarantee about who was getting on the leaked list of 10,000 free subscriptions and they have been removing legacy checkmarks for weeks now.

I expect Elon will personally vet every single free subscription to decide if they deserve it.

Seeing him visibly hand out free subscriptions at all is evidence that he's willing to give out free subscriptions for his own/Twitter's purposes. Which aligns with the leak of giving out free subscriptions.

Lol...

It's literally the opposite, the leak was obviously a load of horse ****

Edit. Reading again what the 10k thing actually was, it was 10k most followed companies. So i'm not how your point is relevant, i was talking about individual accounts originally.

Last edited:
Lol...

It's literally the opposite, the leak was obviously a load of horse ****

Edit. Reading again what the 10k thing actually was, it was 10k most followed companies. So i'm not how your point is relevant, i was talking about individual accounts originally.

Lol indeed.

You've been in this thread the entire time and saw me post it for weeks.

Now on the 20th where I said we'd see what would happen you get round to reading it like it sneaked up on you.

Lol indeed.

You've been in this thread the entire time and saw me post it for weeks.

Now on the 20th where I said we'd see what would happen you get round to reading it like it sneaked up on you.

What are you on about? I'm genuinely confused what your point is. You quoted my post where i was talking about individual accounts paying for Twitter and Musk removing blue ticks. You've then started talking about 10k company accounts.

Do you just want to reiterate what your point is? Because i don't really know what it is.

Last edited:
What are you on about? I'm genuinely confused what your point is. You quoted my post where i was talking about individual accounts paying for Twitter and Musk removing blue ticks. You've then started talking about 10k company accounts.

Do you just want to reiterate what your point is? Because i don't really know what it is.

That you're indefensibly clutching at hope that he's not giving out free subscriptions despite evidence to the contrary.

The leak said 10k organisations.

I personally expanded that to individuals, specifying LeBron James and it was discussed with... you...

Now we reached the 20th and whaddya know, Elon is paying for LeBron James's subscription.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom