The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why on earth are celebrities even moaning? It's absolutely hilarious, either pay it or don't and shut up.

It's not a right for your status to be shown on someone's social media website.

The whole thing is absolutely nonsense, and then everyone else moaning for them. Hilarious.

Tell me you don't understand what Verification was actually for without explicitly saying that you don't understand what Verification was actually for.

Tell me you don't understand what Verification was actually for without explicitly saying that you don't understand what Verification was actually for.

Tell me you want to cry over a blue tick without telling me you don't want to cry over a blue tick.

Hmm

But I guess you'll dismiss that as the fake news media, so I wonder what the guy says himself

I'm sure he's changed his tune when it suits him, but to say he hasn't presented himself as a free speech absolutist, before he got into the mire of Twitter, is just lying.

Yeah i mean you're linking articles that say his position is that he will follow the law on speech, he isn't a free speech absolutist, you know he isn't.

Tell me you want to cry over a blue tick without telling me you don't want to cry over a blue tick.

... fascinating.

Meanwhile, I missed this one the other day - Twitter requiring all advertisers to buy a blue tick unless they spend at least $1k p/m on the platform.

Variety said:
If you want to run ads on Elon Musk’s Twitter from here on out, you apparently will need to pay for verified status — or buy at least $1,000 worth of advertising each month.

Twitter said advertisers must subscribe to either Twitter Blue ($8/month and up) or Verified Organizations ($1,000/month) to be eligible to buy ads on the service, according to a notice titled “Building a better Twitter through verification,” shared by social media consultant Matt Navarra early Friday. A request for comment sent Friday to Twitter’s press email account received no response.

Yeah i mean you're linking articles that say his position is that he will follow the law on speech, he isn't a free speech absolutist, you know he isn't.

So when Musk described himself as a free speech absolutist, he was lying? Mistaken?

So when Musk described himself as a free speech absolutist, he was lying? Mistaken?

He says sorry to be a free speech absolutist, on that issue, back in March '22. Since then he bought Twitter and banned Kanye West for anti-semitism and has said his position is that he'll follow the law on speech. In general he would like as much free speech as possible, but obviously there are lines such as how Kanye acted that go beyond what is reasonable.

He says sorry to be a free speech absolutist, on that issue, back in March '22. Since then he bought Twitter and banned Kanye West for anti-semitism and has said his position is that he'll follow the law on speech. In general he would like as much free speech as possible, but obviously there are lines such as how Kanye acted that go beyond what is reasonable.

So Kanye anti semitic tweets are worse than Russian state media calling for genocide?

Welp, there's the 'well, ackshually...' that we could all guess was coming :D

the dictionary said:
absolutist - noun - a person who holds absolute principles in political, philosophical, or theological matters.
I highlighted what I reckon might be a key word there. Absolute, in this context meaning "not qualified or diminished in any way; total". As in, you can't be a free speech absolutist and then qualify that by placing limits on it. So Musk either is not a very good free speech absolutist, or lies about being one. Which is it? ;)

I mean that is his position on free speech. You seem to want him to adopt absolute positions on complex issues and stick to them no matter what, otherwise he's lying.

That would be fitting with the definition of absolutist, yes.

But I will correct you on one thing - I don't want Musk to do anything much in particular other than concentrate on SpaceX :)

That would be fitting with the definition of absolutist, yes.

But I will correct you on one thing - I don't want Musk to do anything much in particular other than concentrate on SpaceX :)

His position on free speech is that he will follow the countries law, he ideologically supports free speech, but that isn't an absolute position - despite that one tweet where he said "sorry to be a free speech absolutist", I don't think he was setting out his official position for life on free speech based on that single tweet on that issue, but you're free to interpret it like that if you wish to misrepresent his actual views. Personally I think his position is that he doesn't like one sided speech.

His position on free speech is that he will follow the countries law, he ideologically supports free speech, but that isn't an absolute position - despite that one tweet where he said "sorry to be a free speech absolutist", I don't think he was setting out his official position for life on free speech based on that single tweet on that issue, but you're free to interpret it like that if you wish to misrepresent his actual views. Personally I think his position is that he doesn't like one sided speech.

Your right he's just using the sorry to be a free speech absolutist as a weak defence about being spineless and on the wrong side of something.
He's absolutely not a free speech absolutist apart from when claiming he is he thinks it is a valid defence.

Yet again his tweets catch him out lying, good point.

His position on free speech is that he will follow the countries law, he ideologically supports free speech, but that isn't an absolute position

Nooo too much nuance there, we must take snippets of what he's said and interpret them in the most uncharitable way possible.

Your right he's just using the sorry to be a free speech absolutist as a weak defence about being spineless and on the wrong side of something.
He's absolutely not a free speech absolutist apart from when claiming he is he thinks it is a valid defence.

Yet again his tweets catch him out lying, good point.

He's on Ukraine's side, that's why he's donated $100m to them.

I mean you're talking about someone using extremely antisemitic language on twitter vs blocking all Russian news on Starlink. Not the same.

Kanye's tweets were perfectly legal and protected speech under US law. Russian state media is calling for genocide to be committed in Ukraine. I don't see a problem blocking Russian state media channels. Twitter has only blocked RT on Twitter in the EU because they were forced to legally.

Just seeing it looks like Musk has now blue ticked pretty much every account that had over a million followers.
Including accounts that were never previously verified

Can someone remind me again what the blue tick is meant to show:
So far it seems it's gone:
Someone who has proven who they are, and it was given because they were notable (original)
Someone who has paid musk
Someone who has not paid musk but Musk doesn't want their accounts not to be verified because that looks bad and so he's "comping them" (against their wishes)
Any popular account including those that don't pay musk and were never previously verified.
Accounts belonging to people who are dead.

How soon till you get a blue tick token in your shreddies? At least when you buy a packet of shreddies you get to eat the packet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom