The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I'm just seeing that Musk is determined to remove some of the last vestiges of use that companies etc have for Twitter.

In order to "fight spam" only "verified users" will be able to DM people that don't follow them.

There go the companies that use Twitter to assist in CS, as they're not going to follow everyone who needs a hand with an order query, and humans aren't going to sign up to be verified in order to solve the odd CS issue etc, bots on the other hand won't have an issue with doing it as it's just a few dollars a month more to the cost of operating them.

Of all the possibly solutions to dealing with the spam DM issues this is the most stupid possibly one, it's not going to stop the bots that are spamming for money, and it hurts Twitters usability for both individuals and companies.

I mean the more sensible way to do it would have been to, I don't know, done something like they do for email where if an account is sending a lot of messages to users that don't follow it, it treats it as spam...
Probably no harder to code, and doesn't kill off twitter as a method for companies and organisations to keep in touch with customers and the like.

Yeah journalists are already complaining. Obviously the Elon simps that pay are saying the journalists should pay and write off the cost, missing the point that sources still won't be able to DM them.

Soldato
I would brush up on those Googling skills...https://www.tesladeaths.com

Looks like a lot until you read only 33 of the deaths involved self drive, and this website lists such things as:
Nissan in front of Tesla loses control
Drunk driver strikes Tesla
Wrong way driver strikes Tesla

Guys, sometimes cars are involved in accidents, who knew?

The type of people who run this website are basically just the same type of recreational haters that post on here.

Last edited:
Associate
There go the companies that use Twitter to assist in CS, as they're not going to follow everyone who needs a hand with an order query, and humans aren't going to sign up to be verified in order to solve the odd CS issue etc, bots on the other hand won't have an issue with doing it as it's just a few dollars a month more to the cost of operating them.

To be fair that use case died with the API cost increase. Without being able to intergrate queries into a ticketing system it makes it much harder to do at scale so most companies don't bother

Soldato
I had a problem with Virgin Media last week, they just replied to the Tweet. This is hardly some giant barrier preventing companies from speaking to customers

Caporegime
That is because auto pilot turns off just before the impact. There are no shortage of videos from owners showing the car do crazy things so they then have to intervene. Would you trust one to drive you everywhere with no one sat in the drivers seat? Would you trust a professional driver to drive you everywhere every day? If the answer to the first is no, then you don't think it is safer than the human

Why do investors stick around after all this time with this blatant failure that will never get government approval?

Soldato
Looks like a lot until you read only 33 of the deaths involved self drive, and this website lists such things as:

The type of people who run this website are basically just the same type of recreational haters that post on here.

Oh its just 33 deaths, they are well worth the sacrifice for the greater good of Elon :rolleyes: Lets hope one of those Tesla doesn't plough into you or one of your loved ones huh, though its for the greater good.

Any criticism of Elon are just haters in your eyes aren't they Roar. So why would Tesla have the FSD turn itself off just before it crashes? What sense does that make? Surely it should stay engaged and try everything it can to avoid the accident. Or maybe they coded it that way so it looks like FSD wasn't in control when the accident happened. Elon is testing beta software on public roads, how many more accidents have been avoided by the driver taking control from FSD? This is information we should know. If governments had any sense they would force Tesla and all the companies that use a form of FSD to publish or at least supply regulators with the information of every time their software does something dangerous.

Caporegime
That is because auto pilot turns off just before the impact. There are no shortage of videos from owners showing the car do crazy things so they then have to intervene. Would you trust one to drive you everywhere with no one sat in the drivers seat? Would you trust a professional driver to drive you everywhere every day? If the answer to the first is no, then you don't think it is safer than the human

I don't like anyone driving, so my trust in a system/other person doesn't tell me what's better or not. Sometimes feelings aren't a good way to understand what's better or not. Now I don't disagree that FSD isn't as good as it should be, there should be zero accidents. But considering how little incidents there actually are, it's quite hard to declare one way or the other. Considering the amount of deaths yearly in motor accidents.

Even the article you linked to states the drivers didn't predict the crash.

"In 11 of the crashes, none of the drivers took any action between two and five seconds before impact, indicating they, like Autopilot, didn't detect the impending collisions, either."

There just isn't enough information to state it's worse than human drivers. If anything the information seems to pointing towards it being better?

33 deaths is too much, you're right. But realisticly it's very very little compared to the amount v human error.

Thats one of the two reasons I use twitter gone then.
I joined up to see more news in regards Ukraine but found that DM with companies was really useful.

Genius made that more risky with the blue tick thing and now hes zapping it.
100% leaving twitter once Ukraine is done now.

Its amazing how Elon always makes out stuff is easy and his genius will fix it, and then ends up like a chimp with a sledgehammer.

Soldato

So all 33 deaths were the result of others? :confused:

I had a problem with Virgin Media last week, they just replied to the Tweet. This is hardly some giant barrier preventing companies from speaking to customers
Did the same a little while ago but VM needed me to DM them. From what i understand, after this update, i wouldn't be able to do that. Although it reads that companies might be able initiate the DM rather than customers, which may work...¯\\_(ツ)_//¯

Last edited:
Soldato

Daily drivers who realise things can go wrong quickly on the road and that over confidence using self drive could loose you an edge on reaction time.

personally complain by email , but instagram seems to be king V
For example, on Instagram (which is owned by Facebook), 60 percent of users wanted a response from brands within 24 hours, and 78 percent of people reported that organizations got back with them within that window. Across all the social media platforms in the study, organizations responded the most quickly on Instagram — organizations are 25 percent more likely to respond within minutes than on the next-quickest platform, Twitter.

Caporegime
Thats one of the two reasons I use twitter gone then.
I joined up to see more news in regards Ukraine but found that DM with companies was really useful.

Genius made that more risky with the blue tick thing and now hes zapping it.
100% leaving twitter once Ukraine is done now.

Its amazing how Elon always makes out stuff is easy and his genius will fix it, and then ends up like a chimp with a sledgehammer.

Got you as a customer for another ten years or so then. Well, until the next thing you're interested in. Seems like Twitter is the only thing that suits your needs.

Soldato
Any criticism of Elon are just haters in your eyes aren't they Roar. So why would Tesla have the FSD turn itself off just before it crashes? What sense does that make? Surely it should stay engaged and try everything it can to avoid the accident. Or maybe they coded it that way so it looks like FSD wasn't in control when the accident happened. Elon is testing beta software on public roads, how many more accidents have been avoided by the driver taking control from FSD? This is information we should know. If governments had any sense they would force Tesla and all the companies that use a form of FSD to publish or at least supply regulators with the information of every time their software does something dangerous.

I am very much more towards Thunderf00t when it comes to Elon, that's somewhere between the extremes of "Daddy Elon" and "Baddy Elon", his over promising and under delivering (to me) are very much of scale and magnitude I wonder how he has endured..

However, All AP implementations across the board from all manufacturers are not autonomous and it's clearly stated the driver has to be alert, hands on wheel and is still liable as the person in control.. All AP systems will give up and turn off whenever it doesn't know what to do, even if it stayed on, the driver is still expected to be alert and hands on wheel etc.. there is no easy cop-out..
Someone tried recently saying it 'swerved' suddenly etc and lost that case (https://www.motortrend.com/news/nhtsa-tesla-autopilot-investigation-shutoff-crash/).. in reality, all other systems I've used do the same, they can swerve suddenly, turn off mid-bend, do all sorts of weird stuff, but you only have yourself to blame.. not sure why Tesla should be singled out.. The FSD is a beta but still not autonomous and requires the same driver being alert and in control, although arguably being 'beta' you pretty much have to be and it would be odd to join the program and just let it do it's thing..

When they are allowed to be autonomous, then sure, we expect transparency and of all the implementations, Tesla's is pretty robust in terms of available data, when an FSD issue is reported, I believe all video footage and diagnostics data is fed back to base.. so they probably have a great deal they could share, vs say the VW Travel Assist that has bugger all to feedback..

Soldato
I don't like anyone driving, so my trust in a system/other person doesn't tell me what's better or not. Sometimes feelings aren't a good way to understand what's better or not. Now I don't disagree that FSD isn't as good as it should be, there should be zero accidents. But considering how little incidents there actually are, it's quite hard to declare one way or the other. Considering the amount of deaths yearly in motor accidents.

Even the article you linked to states the drivers didn't predict the crash.

"In 11 of the crashes, none of the drivers took any action between two and five seconds before impact, indicating they, like Autopilot, didn't detect the impending collisions, either."

There just isn't enough information to state it's worse than human drivers. If anything the information seems to pointing towards it being better?

33 deaths is too much, you're right. But realisticly it's very very little compared to the amount v human error.

Maybe because they were idiot enough to believe Elon's hype, that it worked and was better than humans so they just sat back and surfed their phone or even fell asleep. They won't be the first or last to get sucked in by his lies.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am very much more towards Thunderf00t when it comes to Elon, that's somewhere between the extremes of "Daddy Elon" and "Baddy Elon", his over promising and under delivering (to me) are very much of scale and magnitude I wonder how he has endured..

However, All AP implementations across the board from all manufacturers are not autonomous and it's clearly stated the driver has to be alert, hands on wheel and is still liable as the person in control.. All AP systems will give up and turn off whenever it doesn't know what to do, even if it stayed on, the driver is still expected to be alert and hands on wheel etc.. there is no easy cop-out..
Someone tried recently saying it 'swerved' suddenly etc and lost that case (https://www.motortrend.com/news/nhtsa-tesla-autopilot-investigation-shutoff-crash/).. in reality, all other systems I've used do the same, they can swerve suddenly, turn off mid-bend, do all sorts of weird stuff, but you only have yourself to blame.. not sure why Tesla should be singled out.. The FSD is a beta but still not autonomous and requires the same driver being alert and in control, although arguably being 'beta' you pretty much have to be and it would be odd to join the program and just let it do it's thing..

When they are allowed to be autonomous, then sure, we expect transparency and of all the implementations, Tesla's is pretty robust in terms of available data, when an FSD issue is reported, I believe all video footage and diagnostics data is fed back to base.. so they probably have a great deal they could share, vs say the VW Travel Assist that has bugger all to feedback..

The difference is I don't hear those other manufactures telling the world that their software is better than humans. My problem with Elon isn't that he is making this product, though I'm not happy about any of them testing software on public roads, its that he makes claims that are clearly lies and people just believe him. That man is a liar but it seems people just want to believe his hype.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom