The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
No I just gave 1 example. And that life and the others it has cost mean something. We aren't talking about systems that apply the brakes for you when they sense a vehicle too close in front, we are talking about full self driving. And its not just the life of the driver who you could argue was happy to risk their life by trusting a beta system, its the innocent lives of the 3rd parties the car hits or the passengers in that car.

You realise by virtue of there being less accidents per mile, autopilot has also saved lives?

It's kind of like a vaccine, you'll get some people who have severe adverse affects and die, but then you save many more lives than that.

You realise by virtue of there being less accidents per mile, autopilot has also saved lives?

It's kind of like a vaccine, you'll get some people who have severe adverse affects and die, but then you save many more lives than that.

You cannot really say that for sure, just make an assumption that there is some case to be made thats true.

The accident and deaths stats are interesting with way more (per mile driven) on back country roads etc and the main roads far less risk.
I would personally make the assumption that way more people would buy teslas who do higher mileage and hence spend far more time on main roads.

You know the old correlation and causation thing ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
A Tesla is currently statistically safer than a human driver, I don't know how you can't grasp that lol. You just keep saying he's lying but the data shows he's not.

Wait, what? :confused:

How can you possibly know that?

The sample size of journeys made by self-driving Tesla's must be inconceivably smaller than the sample size of data we have on traditionally made journeys.

What cars were used in the comparison? Old bangers from the 80's or recent ones with modern safety features, airbags, ABS brakes, traction control etc?

What countries were compared? What roads? What age demographic of human drivers? What was the previous road accident history of drivers used in the sample?

Are you absolutely certain that it's other people who don't understand data analysis and statistics?

Regardless, it very well may be true, and if it isn't now then I expect it will be one day, but I really don't see how you or anyone could make that kind of claim with any level of certainty whatsoever right now, based upon what surely must be such incredibly limited data, all of which might have been collected without any real concern for rigorous controls in the comparison.

Who knows? Maybe I'm doing the data a disservice and it's actually extremely robust, but if so would you mind pointing me to it, because I would genuinely love to take a look, thanks.

Last edited:
Commissario
I was seeing earlier that it appears a number of twitter accounts belonging to lawyers seem to have been suspended in the last day or two.
Oddly enough the thing they have in common is that the people they belong to are involved in legal action against Tesla/Twitter holding and have been mean to Musk's lawyers by requiring they abide by their duty to the court and act in the required good faith. They objected to Musk's lawyers after hours attempt to bypass procedure as part of his effort to hide the names of investors.

The whole free speech thing is really going well.

Caporegime
I was seeing earlier that it appears a number of twitter accounts belonging to lawyers seem to have been suspended in the last day or two.
Oddly enough the thing they have in common is that the people they belong to are involved in legal action against Tesla/Twitter holding and have been mean to Musk's lawyers by requiring they abide by their duty to the court and act in the required good faith. They objected to Musk's lawyers after hours attempt to bypass procedure as part of his effort to hide the names of investors.

The whole free speech thing is really going well.

What accounts?

Commissario
I'll try and find more, but IIRC several accounts linked to action being taken against x holdings/tesla suddenly got banned/suspended including one that was simply reposting the public court documents.
Basically it sounds like a repeat of his ban of reporters who posted about his banning of the plane guy, but this time involving lawyers and court reporters.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wait, what? :confused:

How can you possibly know that?

The sample size of journeys made by self-driving Tesla's must be inconceivably smaller than the sample size of data we have on traditionally made journeys.

What cars were used in the comparison? Old bangers from the 80's or recent ones with modern safety features, airbags, ABS brakes, traction control etc?

What countries were compared? What roads? What age demographic of human drivers? What was the previous road accident history of drivers used in the sample?

Are you absolutely certain that it's other people who don't understand data analysis and statistics?

Regardless, it very well may be true, and if it isn't now then I expect it will be one day, but I really don't see how you or anyone could make that kind of claim with any level of certainty whatsoever right now, based upon what surely must be such incredibly limited data, all of which might have been collected without any real concern for rigorous controls in the comparison.

Who knows? Maybe I'm doing the data a disservice and it's actually extremely robust, but if so would you mind pointing me to it, because I would genuinely love to take a look, thanks.

It's probably largely based around their own published stats:
This is comparing Tesla cars for miles with AP vs without AP before an accident.

At one point they claimed the MHTSA had reviewed these, but I think we can all agree that drawing firm conclusions from such a thousand foot up view of the data is potentially problematic.

They are currently under flak over the last year for two key issues, although they are related
1. Their stats for Level 2 assistive system crashes have fallen behind some of their competitors
2. The reason for this is being attributed to their softening of mechanisms used to enforce the driver monitoring (i.e. alert, hands on wheel, etc)..

Soldato
It's probably largely based around their own published stats:
This is comparing Tesla cars for miles with AP vs without AP before an accident.

At one point they claimed the MHTSA had reviewed these, but I think we can all agree that drawing firm conclusions from such a thousand foot up view of the data is potentially problematic.

They are currently under flak over the last year for two key issues, although they are related
1. Their stats for Level 2 assistive system crashes have fallen behind some of their competitors
2. The reason for this is being attributed to their softening of mechanisms used to enforce the driver monitoring (i.e. alert, hands on wheel, etc)..

Thanks at least that gives me something to digest.

I'll take a peek when I get a chance.

Last edited:
Soldato
So last year when I brought up all Musks over hyping: (https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...demographic-melts-down.18950820/post-35604551)

You responded by crossing most of them out, including the TESLA AP/FSD one with:

Why are you suddenly interested? you seemed fairly dismissive of Thunderf00t in that exchange, but now using his videos to pile on Musk.

Hey I admit I was wrong. Hands up, no excuses, I was wrong. The more I read and heard about him the more I came to realise I was wrong. Once your eyes have been opened though you can't unsee it.

Soldato
Hey I admit I was wrong. Hands up, no excuses, I was wrong. The more I read and heard about him the more I came to realise I was wrong. Once your eyes have been opened though you can't unsee it.
Fair play, and a credit to you for changing your mind..

I may often be slightly right centre, but I just don't like his business practices and as you point out, once you see it you just flip..

:)

Soldato
Fair play, and a credit to you for changing your mind..

I may often be slightly right centre, but I just don't like his business practices and as you point out, once you see it you just flip..

:)

I consider myself a centrist who leans left and right on certain issues. I love space tech and as such I love what SpaceX has done and it has done some great stuff, I think my opinion of Elon came from that but like I said the more i read and heard about him the more I realised he can be a massive douche and some of his claims are just lies and outright fraud.

Associate
It can be a tricky one because you can’t deny that Tesla have made successful cars and SpaceX have made a masterpiece of rocketry in the Falcon 9.

Then you see what his other projects have achieved and what his decade of interviews and claims have resulted in and you can’t help but feel those two companies have achieved DESPITE having Musk involved.

I like Thunderf00t and Common Sense Skeptic, but I always watch them with the knowledge they have hate boners for Musk and it may be that some nuance is missing from their arguements. At the other end of the scale you have Tim Dodd who (having managed to get a chance to actually go to Space) now has no choice but to worship Musk on his knees and take whatever is presented with a smile on his face. I had to unsubscribe from him as it was just so awful to watch.

At the end of the day I don’t need a rocket, don’t need a tunnel, don’t use Twitter and I’m not going to buy a Tesla so really none of it effects me and I’m happy to sit back and see how everything pans out. I definitely had my eyes opened a few years ago though.

Soldato
Just a bit more news about the Tesla self driving.
their article is vague on saying where Musk had claimed a low fsd fatality rate -

but if you watch some of their fsd advertising from investor day - fsd is pretty Gung ho

I'd prefer if the car braked in that situation like a human would.

NHSTA seems prertty partisan in allowing tesla crash data statistics to remain confidential, surprising that ford/bm/vw aren't protesting.
I suppose they wouldn't reveal if someone was killed whilst distracted using twitter in their car;

Soldato
their article is vague on saying where Musk had claimed a low fsd fatality rate -

but if you watch some of their fsd advertising from investor day - fsd is pretty Gung ho

I'd prefer if the car braked in that situation like a human would.

NHSTA seems prertty partisan in allowing tesla crash data statistics to remain confidential, surprising that ford/bm/vw aren't protesting.
I suppose they wouldn't reveal if someone was killed whilst distracted using twitter in their car;

All such info should be publicly available. Road users should know how safe or dangerous these systems are that authorities are allowing to be beta tested on the roads.

All such info should be publicly available. Road users should know how safe or dangerous these systems are that authorities are allowing to be beta tested on the roads.

I disagree.
IMO its that legislation is behind and legislation should prescribe how the systems should function.
Prescribing when for example the system would be allowed to disengage, what reaction times are required to common events, such as people stepping into the road.
Probably prescribing what action should be taken to someone stepping out into the road, you wouldn't want the car doing an emergency stop for someone 2-3x braking distance away for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom