The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato

Old Twitter did that: there was a curated timeline of well-liked tweets, a chronological timeline, and the display of replies was weighted by how many people had liked a given response. Browsing the replies to a viral meme would regularly show up lots of riffs on the theme, and be a worthwhile use of time.

Prioritising blue tick content has broken all of these. Most Twitter users barely tweet and don’t care about followers – a “heavy user” tweets on average less than three times a week. So if someone is posting regularly enough to be willing to pay $8 a month for a blue tick, but has not built up a sizeable following organically, this is a very strong signal that the posts they are producing are no good.

It is exactly that content that Twitter’s new model relies on promoting – and those newly-minted blue ticks are quickly learning that there is no magic behind the checkmarks. New followers are not magically heading their way. The problem wasn’t a biased liberal algorithm, it was that their tweets are no good.

That means lots of blue ticks stop paying – but everyone else is forced to read the low-quality content that the remaining blue ticks produce. This is what is powering the enshittification of Twitter.

Oooof, absolutely bodying blue tick buyers.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Gotta say, the signing up process for Threads coming from Insta was absolutely seamless. An object lesson for other firms in how to roll out an additional product.

Still think it's going to find it tough to compete with even an ailing Twitter though.

Suspended
lol, sign up to the company that's been busted more times than any other selling your personal information, what possible consequences could happen?
F0VRbDwaMAAHxGX

Last edited:
Suspended
Oh and decide for any reason you don't want a threads account anymore you can kiss goodbye to your IG one too as it deletes both :cry:

Same with losing messenger if you delete Facebook.

You can deactivate it and still retain it though

Soldato
Although to be fair Twitter isn't in a terrible state, Threads has to has something different really.
Maybe it's just me but it sure seems like it's in a terrible state, as someone who would never sign up to one of these social media platforms all i get now when opening a tweet is the tweet itself, half of the fun and value of reading tweets for me was in reading other peoples replies. That's basically all gone now so for a non signed in user like myself Twitter has lost any and all value, i suspect they couldn't give two hoots about people like me and I'm not expecting them to. However IMO part of the reason Twitter became popular in the first place was because even casual observers could get an impression of how well or badly what someone said was being received.

Last edited:
Mobster
Soldato
Soldato
Got my Threads set up this morning using my Insta username. I thought there would be a rush on to secure names but no need.

Also noticed that all the ads on Twitter these days are borderline scammy ads. I take it no legit company advertises on Twitter anymore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom