The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
No desktop support for Threads either currently so won't see it embedded on sites any time soon, etc.

EDIT: Actually might support previewing it like Telegram not checked that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Slightly tripping me out that it shows people in the feed you don't follow
Biggest gripe with it is the fact the feed is getting populated with random (arguably, a lot of the accounts seem to be ones that you follow on IG) verified and sponsored accounts rather than just your Threads followers; hopefully that changes soon otherwise it's going to get annoying fairly quickly.

Gotta say Threads is a good app.
Seems relatively decent given it's in the early stages, although there's definitely a lot to improve on.

Mobster
Soldato
Biggest gripe with it is the fact the feed is getting populated with random (arguably, a lot of the accounts seem to be ones that you follow on IG) verified and sponsored accounts rather than just your Threads followers; hopefully that changes soon otherwise it's going to get annoying fairly quickly.

Seems relatively decent given it's in the early stages, although there's definitely a lot to improve on.

Apparently it's coming soon.

Commissario
It was a very canny idea to import all your users and followers from Instagram, it instantly shuts down the biggest problem with these new social media platforms and that is the user base.
Yup

Pretty much the instant it opened up in the US it seemed like a lot of creators were on it within an hour or so and pointing their followers to it.

I think after the weekend an awful lot of Twitters more active userbase started looking to actively move away from it, as opposed to trying to maintain an equal usage on twitter as well as other services.

I'm not into phone apps or insta, so I'll never see Threads. Shocked there's no web version. Not that I care particularly.
I suspect the web version will come fairly soon, by doing it on the phones they're probably making it easier for the initial launch.

Last edited:
No one who uses Instagram would disagree that it's infested with bots or ask for a source. Interesting definition of personal attack
OK let's pretend you're right. 50 percent are bots. And let's say 5 percent on twitter are bots.

That's still now 1 billion IG users v.s 320 million twitter.

The initial point of that user still stands.

Threads in a couple days is 10 percent of the user base of twitter. Edit: it already is 10 percent!

BBC News - Threads: Thirty million join Meta's Twitter rival, Zuckerberg says

The twitter user base has seen twitter get worse and worse in the last 6 months. Nothing has happened for the better.

The twitter readers that don't have accounts/aren't logged in, have seen twitter get worse.

What will happen now is creators will see a platform with currently a bigger reach (twitter), but it's shrinking v.s a new platform (threads) with, though less, a stupidly fast growing reach by a company that has a history of being the biggest social platform with the biggest reach.

Creators won't be looking at "how can I be most reached today" only, they will also think, what is worth my time today, so that is has the biggest impact and improvement in 6 months, a year etc.

Many may now see threads as being the platform to put their time into today in the expectation that it is the future.

Twitter continues to look like a sinking ship and that will only cause it to get worse as big names jump across, possibly being paid by meta to do so as they actually have the money to back their creators and get them to switch, twitter will look worse and worse each day.

When we will next get a valuation from twitter? I wonder if it's now sub 10 billion in value.

And in all seriousness, what can be done to save twitter if people on mass leave? What is elon going to do to save it? I can't see it. I can't see him learning or doing anything to bring it back. Does he reban those on the right? He will anger the few users left. He will turn into trump. Where he will only have his base left, and put of fear of being irrelevant, he will pander more and more to them.

I'm looking ahead seeing another time where Elon tells us some stupid conspiracy, and roar is telling us how we don't get it as twitter has another record number of views, while ignoring that twitter has a record number of users leaving for genuine alternatives now there is a big one out.

My expectations for threads is that soon there will be desktop view, you can sign up without Instagram, and features it doesn't yet have that tietter does, it'll get them in good time.

It feels like they rushed threads out perhaps slightly ahead of schedule due to the perfect opportunity Elon gave them last week by shutting out users to "stop bots" rather than just adding a line of code that says "if bot in name, do something basic/block, else real user so show content"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom