The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am no programmer but I struggle to see that there can be much true IP in twitter that would be deemed unique rather than simple code to do simple tasks.

I did wonder if it would end up that a lot of ex twitter employees would be there working on this.
Maybe if Melon Husk hadn't sacked them all they would still be gainfully employed at twitter right now.

Presume if I don't want my threads username to be the same as instagram I'm out of luck for the timebeing?
Seems that way.

Bummer but I get why.

You could easily sign up to Instagram with another account, and then that gives you the threads name too. There's really no difference as it's one account to create.

I have to IG accounts on my phone, and can make 2 threads accounts and it lets me swap between the 2 easily. Create another ig account, get the new threads name, sign out of ig on the ig app, and remain with the old ig account in ig, and the new ig/threads name in threads? Might work?

No desktop is a shame as at home I much prefer twitter through desktop. Hopefully they will see sense and change that.
you'd expect them to have used a UI toolkit common between windows and android for immediate windows availibility - it seems incongruous -
maybe they decided to spurn microsoft - does Mark have beef with them - hate triangle

.... did chatgpt write the letter from twitter.

you'd expect them to have used a UI toolkit common between windows and android for immediate windows availibility - it seems incongruous -
maybe they decided to spurn microsoft - does Mark have beef with them - hate triangle

.... did chatgpt write the letter from twitter.

Lets hope its just that its not being rolled out yet.

Oh the irony of twitter firing huge swathes of staff only for facebook to pick them up to work on threads. It's just too delightful.
And the stupid thing about Musk's letter is that nothing twitter does is really particularly special, yes some of the code might be "unique" but that's likely going to be down to the Twitter specific back end, most of the rest of it is likely to be different ways, as Twitter is basically a way to display messages in an app or on website with storage for messages and images, and "friends" and "ban" lists.

That describes at it's heart basically any forum software, let alone the likes of ICQ, Skype etc.

I suspect it even describes existing functionality of various Meta owned properties, just that threads is a new standalone skin for them.

As much as I dislike Facebook and Zuckerberg, I very strongly suspect that Meta has far better lawyers than Twitter at this point, and management who understand the law and the risks AND are willing to listen to those lawyers, so the chances are they've been exceptionally careful to avoid doing anything that could be seen to infringe on Twitters IP.
Of course the fun bit will be when it turns out that some of Twitters "trade secrets" are based on open source software, or software that Meta already uses/licences/owns and that Musk in his hurry to get rid of anyone who didn't code enough, got rid of employees who had been tasked with looking at turning out non open source versions or simply adapting that software (and depending on the version of the open source licence of the original software could have been required to publish that new code).

Last edited:
So is Bluesky dead in the water then?

I do find it amazing that seemingly no one cares about what Threads has access to when you sign up, guess the musk 'hate' is that strong :confused:

I do find it amazing that seemingly no one cares about what Threads has access to when you sign up, guess the musk 'hate' is that strong :confused:
We could tell you, but your eyes are so closed you'd not see the answer.

Perhaps rather than just add your own answer, you ask the question, does anyone worry about the information that threads may have access to, and if not, why?

You see how that may lead to an actual answer where you learn something. Instead you answered the question yourself, with the lowest iq answer you could come up with.

But yeah, Musk personally made this opportunity for threads. Have you not read the thread over the last year where people are essentially saying "musk. do better"?

Remember when roar was telling us all it was simply because we didn't like that Trump was unbanned. Not that he will learn, but look how stupid that is now, given trump can have a threads account, and trump is allowed on Facebook. Maybe it was nothing to do with trump, but some minds need simple answers to ever so slightly complex situations.

Edit.. From my understanding, BlueSky is not a competitor to twitter directly, but instead supposed to be a language used by competitors to create their own platform. I'm simplifying it but essentially, BlueSky was never going to be a direct twitter copy.

Last edited:
We could tell you, but your eyes are so closed you'd not see the answer.

Perhaps rather than just add your own answer, you ask the question, does anyone worry about the information that threads may have access to, and if not, why?

You see how that may lead to an actual answer where you learn something. Instead you answered the question yourself, with the lowest iq answer you could come up with.

But yeah, Musk personally made this opportunity for threads. Have you not read the thread over the last year where people are essentially saying "musk. do better"?

Remember when roar was telling us all it was simply because we didn't like that Trump was unbanned. Not that he will learn, but look how stupid that is now, given trump can have a threads account, and trump is allowed on Facebook. Maybe it was nothing to do with trump, but some minds need simple answers to ever so slightly complex situations.
The usual unwashed potato post, a couple of ad-hominem attacks and nothing of substance. cheers buddy

The usual unwashed potato post, a couple of ad-hominem attacks and nothing of substance. cheers buddy
Ahh poor you, you didn't get the answer to your silly question.

Well let's add to it.

Last week Elon stopped users from having any real access to twitter unless they are signed in. I have a work twitter account (I don't use, given twitter is dying I'm unlikely to change that). I don't want twitter to think that that account only views twitter content that is negative about elon/twitter/trump, as that is all I ever see as I don't view twitter other than what gets shared in this and the trump thread.

Now what may twitter/Elon do with that? He's a big baby, he may decide that accounts like mine should be punished and background hidden so that we don't have much prominence on twitter, while Elon loving accounts are background pushed up. I don't know what he will do with that information, but I know, 2 weeks ago twitter was fine without it, but now it requires me to be logged in.

So why weren't you asking the exact same question, how you weren't concerned about the information twitter now has about you. You cannot even view twitter in any real amount without giving twitter your information. "I guess the Elon love is strong from you"

Never change ckent.

Last edited:

It looks like it's exactly the same sort of information that twitter wants when you sign up, and I get similar messages from all sorts of apps - IIRC it's partly because of the way the access permissions are done and how you use it.
For example it needs access to the camera to post pictures taken with the camera in the app, it needs access to various other media on the phone because oddly if you're going to post a meme or an image you've already got on the phone it'll need to access it, same for sound, mic etc.

What Android (not sure about IOS) does in addition to those "at install" permissions is let you select when the app has access, so for example "just this once" or "only whilst using the app" which limits it to asking every time, or only gaining access when you have the app open and to the front.

In many ways it's no different to the cookie pop up you get accessing a website, which if you actually look at what it asks for will as "functional" ask to "access and store data" on your PC (as it needs it do things like store your login details and authentication tokens in a cookie).

In short the list of permissions is exactly what you expect from any app that lets you do what Twitter, Skype, Threads etc does.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom