The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Given how desperate you seem to be to rejoin the EU does it not raise any concerns that the EU haven't ratified the app? No of course not, silly me.

There is no "ratification" process.

That aside, yes, it is worrying that Threads data policies are so bad they don't dare release in the EU, isn't it? It should give you pause about signing up.

Soldato
Almost no one is leaving Twitter

5feab358ec90530a4c2434fa2365107ec1c4cb4f

Associate
On the bright side, Elon has directly helped build the successful, profitable, working social media app with an engaged efficient worforce he promised, only downside is its called Threads.

Now Twitter is rapidly heading into Myspace territory ( in less than a year !), will it just be expensive Parler, or will the frothers retreat to Parler , Gab, the Trump place ?

Last edited:
Soldato
No one who uses Instagram would disagree that it's infested with bots or ask for a source.
I use Instagram daily and asking for a source for your "observations". Either way, you can't provide any facts to the discussion so i guess we will just leave it there...

Interesting definition of personal attack
You called anyone that doesn't agree with you "...visually impaired". It's just weird behaviour and a bit hypocritical given it's you @Roar87.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think talking about the demise of Twitter is a little premature. It's still heavily entrenched in people's consciousness as the messaging app, with 'tweeting' as synonymous as 'googling' being used for any generic search, eg: you don't say 'binging'

Soldato
Crazy how entrenched people's views are on this forum.

I watched some very interesting interview with Jack Dorsey yesterday by Russell Brand

Essentially he's saying that it was impossible to run Twitter in the way he wanted to because he was beholden to the will of advertisers who would threaten to pull out if he didn't do what they wanted, on top of that he also got pressure from the US government. I don't think people realise that we're walking into a Corporatocracy in the way that your speech online will have to be aligned with what companies like Disney and Apple deem acceptable and "family friendly", and that align with the political views of their HR department basically. This is why it's important for everyone that someone who understands the importance of free speech took over Twitter and is running it in a way that allows us all to express our opinions freely.

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
Elon truly is slowly (well, not so slowly really) killing twitter. I just don't bother going on it any more because I have to be logged in. Its just going to die a death as more and more people get sick of it and it will reach its tipping point where another platform will just take over. Once that happens, the last people using it will all jump ship as well.

Caporegime

I watched some very interesting interview with Jack Dorsey yesterday by Russell Brand

Essentially he's saying that it was impossible to run Twitter in the way he wanted to because he was beholden to the will of advertisers who would threaten to pull out if he didn't do what they wanted, on top of that he also got pressure from the US government. I don't think people realise that we're walking into a Corporatocracy in the way that your speech online will have to be aligned with what companies like Disney and Apple deem acceptable and "family friendly", and that align with the political views of their HR department basically. This is why it's important for everyone that someone who understands the importance of free speech took over Twitter and is running it in a way that allows us all to express our opinions freely.
Ah yes and Elon the billionaire is definitely the savior from this 'corporatocracy'... although I question how it can be a corporatocracy when the government pressuring the company is kind of the exact opposite of that? Anyway I'm not sure stopping advertisers from carrying out their own freedom of speech (remember in America money is speech) by saying they won't purchase ad space over whatever issue they have is a particularly great argument either.

The fact is that millions of people have grown up or into a system where the product was/is free to access and use to varying degrees which put the consumer as well as the advertisers in very powerful positions, so the reason Jack couldn't do anything was because there was no room to manoeuvre between these two highly irritable positions.

Last edited:

Can't watch it because I refuse to promote Brand anymore, hes a total and utter nut job now.

So Dorsey says he couldn't make it work, but he nearly did.
Since then Muck has wrecked the advertisers revenue, or if not hes going to face the same issues.
Hes going to need a hell of a lot of blue ticks to be paid for (and no evidence that is working) in order to promote his "free speech"* platform.
Hes loaded it with debt, for an example of how that always causes business issues see any and every business that ends up loaded in debt by someone taking over. (It never works apart from drawing a load of value out)
Hes with his "management" seemingly enabled a direct competitor who is already being noticed.

* its far from that lets face it.

I am still seeing basically the same problems he has had from the start, plus a new one.

Soldato

I bet Dorsey couldnt believe his luck when some sucker came along offering way more than it was worth.

Soldato
Ah yes and Elon the billionaire is definitely the savior from this 'corporatocracy'... although I question how it can be a corporatocracy when the government pressuring the company is kind of the exact opposite of that? Anyway I'm not sure stopping advertisers from carrying out their own freedom of speech (remember in America money is speech) by saying they won't purchase ad space over whatever issue they have is a particularly great argument either.

The fact is that millions of people have grown up or into a system where the product was/is free to access and use to varying degrees which put the consumer as well as the advertisers in very powerful positions, so the reason Jack couldn't do anything was because there was no room to manoeuvre between these two highly irritable positions.

Twitter was pressured by advertisers, but also the US government. I think there isn't too much separate in the US between government and corporations though due to lobbying and probably just outright corruption, people being offered jobs before and after being in government, plus probably just straight out bribes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom