The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twitter was pressured by advertisers, but also the US government. I think there isn't too much separate in the US between government and corporations though due to lobbying and probably just outright corruption, people being offered jobs before and after being in government, plus probably just straight out bribes.

You still seem to be struggling after all this time and so many posts as to WHY Twitter was pressurised by advertisers.

Advertisers love a popular platform that drives views. They don't want one that may advertise their products alongside nut jobs, actual racism etc.

Advertisers love a popular platform that drives views. They don't want one that may advertise their products alongside nut jobs, actual racism etc.
I think this is an old way of looking at it. It is from the days when businesses didn't have an opinion and only cared about their products being seen by as many people as possible.

But we now have evidence that companies don't mind taking massive financial hits by discouraging people who don't agree with their views of the company are not welcome.

So they don't care about losing potential customers.

I think this is an old way of looking at it. It is from the days when businesses didn't have an opinion and only cared about their products being seen by as many people as possible.

But we now have evidence that companies don't mind taking massive financial hits by discouraging people who don't agree with their views of the company are not welcome.

So they don't care about losing potential customers.

Yes the world has changed.
My point specifically recognises that.

They do worry about massive financial effects. They don't care about a vocal minority who mistaken think their anti woke (etc) protests make any noticeable difference.

So yes they do care about losing the majority of potential customers, hence why they do not want to be alongside toxic posters.

You still seem to be struggling after all this time and so many posts as to WHY Twitter was pressurised by advertisers.

I'm always a bit puzzled why a platform like Twitter or YT, etc. would be under pressure from advertisers it isn't like there is a shortage of large companies wanting to advertise and little has the reach like these platforms. Maybe some are offering significant financial motivation above others though to conform to their expectations.

You still seem to be struggling...
You should have left it at that to be honest, given the 'rich man good, rich man can do no wrong' drum they keep banging.

I'm always a bit puzzled why a platform like Twitter or YT, etc. would be under pressure from advertisers...
I guess where platforms are largely supported by advertising revenue.

Last edited:
I'm always a bit puzzled why a platform like Twitter or YT, etc. would be under pressure from advertisers it isn't like there is a shortage of large companies wanting to advertise and little has the reach like these platforms. Maybe some are offering significant financial motivation above others though to conform to their expectations.

I suspect its pressure is really just the sorts of conversation that take place between large businesses with actual marketing experts who want to manage their profile, and the platform.
Yes there are plenty about, but as we saw Twitter pre Musk could not attract enough revenue from them to break even (all the time).

I am sure they would all have still advertised on Twitter, but then it did need as much revenue as possible.

Yes the world has changed.
My point specifically recognises that.

They do worry about massive financial effects. They don't care about a vocal minority who mistaken think their anti woke (etc) protests make any noticeable difference.

So yes they do care about losing the majority of potential customers, hence why they do not want to be alongside toxic posters.
I agree with most of your post.

I think now it's more Musk himself is deemed toxic. Which I can understand to a degree as instead of making twitter a neutral place he's pulled it to the right.

I personally think a subscription platform structure is the future of social media. Because then it makes people more individually accountable, as well as not relying on advertisers.

I don't really understand how making money through advertising became the number 1 model. I can understand it with pron as it was always competing against a free market. But when I first started online (in the 90s) most business platforms of any worth were subscription based.

It's like businesses followed the pron model rather than previous business history.

I think it's very much a case of a certain group seems to think their views are the "silent majority" and are exceptionally vocal about it, when in reality the advertisers know that they are really very much a vocal minority.

If the "alt right" etc were anything like as big and popular as they seem to think they are, the advertisers would generally flock to them, the reality is that they're not and for many brands that try to be as "widespread" in appeal as popular they're toxic because those brands know their customer base to a very good degree.

I saw a clip of a school board meeting from the US the other day that summed it up very nicely, one of the parents from that district made the point that she and most of her ilk don't have the time to go to every school board meeting and spend the time campaigning, whilst the "anti woke" book banners are exceptionally vocal and are making it pretty much their entire lives (IIRC it turns out that across multiple states the requests for banning loads of books are coming from what is often a very small number of people, many of whom are taking advantage of the fact the book "review" laws don't usually require you have to be a parent or person in the district, or even the state, let alone actually have looked at the book and know what is in it).

Advertisers and companies tend to be fairly flexible morally, they don't usually care about the ideology of people, except where it actively hurts them or their carefully cultivate image to have their products shown next to say someone talking about how slavery wasn't bad, or that the globalists should be "dealt with" etc.

Basically the pressure the advertisers put on the platforms is pretty much "just don't make us look terrible" or "don't cause us to have to issue an apology to a signifcant part of of customer base" (or "don't put us next to flat out illegal content").

Last edited:
I agree with most of your post.

I think now it's more Musk himself is deemed toxic. Which I can understand to a degree as instead of making twitter a neutral place he's pulled it to the right.

I personally think a subscription platform structure is the future of social media. Because then it makes people more individually accountable, as well as not relying on advertisers.

I don't really understand how making money through advertising became the number 1 model. I can understand it with pron as it was always competing against a free market. But when I first started online (in the 90s) most business platforms of any worth were subscription based.

It's like businesses followed the pron model rather than previous business history.

Businesses go free for fast and significant market penetration.

Advertising really has mainly been the online model since interwebz began.
Subscriptions being unusual since as businesses (legacy) switched they saw large savings so fees unnecessary.

Its not the pron model. Its the capitalism model.
Did the banks adopt the pron model when they stopped charging for current accounts and created free banking? Of course they didn't.

I suspect its pressure is really just the sorts of conversation that take place between large businesses with actual marketing experts who want to manage their profile, and the platform.
Yes there are plenty about, but as we saw Twitter pre Musk could not attract enough revenue from them to break even (all the time).

I am sure they would all have still advertised on Twitter, but then it did need as much revenue as possible.

That is another thing which puzzled me - I don't use adblock unless sites are taking the mick or unusable - especially autoplay video ads, or possibly a security thing, Twitter was always relatively lite on ads - there was tons of opportunity to make money from it they weren't utilising. Then under Elon it got stupid with low brow ads crammed in amongst regular posts, etc. etc. while still not making the most effective use of advertising potential, more nickel and diming kind of thing as a certain YouTuber likes to bang on about lately.

If Russell Brand cared about money he would've sold his soul to Hollywood like a lot of other people did.

Have you ever actually met anyone with serious wealth?

I haven't met a single one ever who is not motivated by money.
IMO the more you have the more you seem to be motivated by it.

Admittedly all the millionaires and up I have met/know are business related and not media types though.

Yeah, I think you're actually so clueless it would shock you to learn what is considered acceptable or not by the advertisers. Have you ever heard Youtubers speak about their videos being demonetised on Youtube? They aren't demonetised for racism or conspiracy theories, they're demonitised for incredibly obscure things.

You're talking about violent video games being demonetised from Youtube.

You're talking about profanity that includes words like "hell" and "damn" - sorry, not advertiser friendly.

You are making the naive assumption that the advertisers are reasonable and don't want their adverts shown alongside someone expressing racism, that would be reasonable, except that is absolutely not the case. The advertisers basically want social media platforms to look like the Disney channel because they don't give a **** about anything except their brand image, that is what they're paid to do. I don't think advertisers like that are compatible with social media in the West. I think they're turning us into something like we see in China with the social credit system, which is incidentally also a large profitable growing market for them.

Here's 2 Youtubers who do a lot of travelling content speaking about their videos being demonetised, I watched this earlier today. Put it at the correct time stamp.

Last edited:
Have you ever actually met anyone with serious wealth?

I haven't met a single one ever who is not motivated by money.
IMO the more you have the more you seem to be motivated by it.

Admittedly all the millionaires and up I have met/know are business related and not media types though.

You're not arguing any point here. Why don't you try and actually get to the truth of things instead of trying to win an argument?

Yeah, I think you're actually so clueless it would shock you to learn what is considered acceptable or not by the advertisers. Have you ever heard Youtubers speak about their videos being demonetised on Youtube? They aren't demonetised for racism or conspiracy theories, they're demonitised for incredibly obscure things.

You're talking about violent video games being demonetised from Youtube.

You're talking about profanity that includes words like "hell" and "damn" - sorry, not advertiser friendly.

You are making the naive assumption that the advertisers are reasonable and don't want their adverts shown alongside someone expressing racism, that would be reasonable, except that is absolutely not the case. The advertisers basically want social media platforms to look like the Disney channel because they don't give a **** about anything except their brand image, that is what they're paid to do. I don't think advertisers like that are compatible with social media in the West. I think they're turning us into something like we see in China with the social credit system, which is incidentally also a large profitable growing market for them.

Here's 2 Youtubers who do a lot of travelling content speaking about their videos being demonetised, I watched this earlier today. Put it at the correct time stamp.

We were talking Twitter not youtube you clown.

Yes I know youtube demonitises for all sorts of obscure reasons. Some of the channels specifically mention at times who they need to do or say something different to avoid it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom