The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I belive roars point is that no matter how tame the critism the companies have backed down and issued essentially grovelling apologies to China. Musk being non critical of china is no different to everyone else and yet for some reason he's held to a different standard.
It goes beyond that - he is openly courting them & bending over backwards to do so.

Soldato
Trying to tread a fine line to keep both Western consumers happy and Chinas government, and to some extent, consumers.
That's the thing though isn't it, he's got tesla to also think about, if he came out with a load of criticism regarding China and tesla stock crashed because if it he'd have a bunch of angry shareholders to deal with. Its a tightrope I wouldn't want to walk. Hell I remember a few years back john cena made the heinous mistake of calling Taiwan a country and a week later he's banging out an apology video where he looks like it's at gunpoint :p

This is all off the back of the clip posted above isnt it? I wouldn't mind seeing the minute or so before he started talking as it looks to me it's a response to a question.

Last edited:
See I have no issue with what Musks doing.

My issue is with what hes says, because it doesn't line up with reality. And the simps then
He has business interests that make any open criticism, by him or on the platform, of some regimes a problem. Some all the time, some some of the time (eg Turkey during elections)
So lets drop the "i want twitter to be the global townhall" crap. Your simply not willing to allow it to trump your other concerns and hence is a meaningless soundbite.

Then you get onto the free speech absolutionist which ends up with similar issues in what he says and reality.

IF, and this is what most people have known all along his primary concern is his money, and not what he says then its easy to see why he doesn't follow through on global townhall and actual free speech.
Because if he cared more about them than money he would call Beijings bluff. Fat chance of that, just like every other Western company as stated.

If we could all agree hes just a typical businessman, doing typical businessman stuff then it would be a hell of a lot easier to actually recognise and realise what hes doing.
Its only a problem because people keep insisting we take things he said at face value when reality proves its not true.

Soldato
"Guys, why isn't Elon Musk committing commercial suicide by criticising a notoriously hard line government :mad: :mad: :mad: I'm so angry he's not self sabotaging like I want him to"
He doesn't need to criticise but he doesn't need to praise either, you could easily say nothing and it would have the same effect.

So to be clear from roar says, what Elon said isn't what Elon thinks. Earlier roar tried to defend is as just Elon's views, now it's, Elon saying what China wants to hear but not believing it.

I think you can summarise that to mean that no matter what Elon does, roar will bend to agree it's the right move.

And the thing of this all, isn't roar now agreeing with what was originally said by users, which is that, Elon is talking nonsense to not upset China because of business interests. Roar is now actively arguing that to be the case!

Last edited:
Who is the quote from? Is it the author or someone Musk was quoting or another party? Do I think Ukraine would have lost the war in that first month without Musk? No I don't but I'm not a military expert.
From that quote, Elon is the god saviour of Ukraine now apparently they'd have lost in the first weeks and war over if not for the god Elon.

Yeah we beleive thst.

Caporegime
I thought he didn't care about money and was willing to lose billions for "free speech"? Which is it Roar?

Isn't this the same guy that both touted Elon's wealth and thinks people are jealous, whilst at the same time saying his wealth is essentially imaginary? If so, i doubt you will get an answer.

Last edited:
Soldato
He was directly asked about China though? He even said the conversation wasn't about China but the person persisted.

Imagine a journalist asking tough questions :rolleyes: remember a while back when he was doing softball interviews and I said I'd like someone to ask tough questions? He owns one of the biggest social media companies. He says he wants it to be THE town hall of the world. He is very quick to criticise the US government or EU because he knows they can't do a damned thing to him. Now we have some truly terrible governments who carry out heinous acts and not a peep because it would hurt his bottom line. In fact he praises them instead because that helps his bottom line. Atrocities like their treatment of the Uyghurs is a "both sides" comment. He has spouted Kremlin talking points like Russia keeping all the lands they stole. He chats to Putin on the phone.

Now I have zero issue with anyone doing business with China, my house is full of items that have been at least part made in China. What I have issue with is the hypocrisy and the talking out of both sides of his mouth. He's not some hero, he's not some great humanitarian. He's a very driven business man who wants to make **** loads of money and fair play to him for that, lets just not pretend its anything else though.

Caporegime
Last edited:
Soldato
It's great when he and people he retweets get fact checked on his own platform:
Hows he wrong btw? There was pretty much zero media coverage? We both know if it was 2 white guys that decided to murder a black guy randomly cycling along the road for giggles it would have been everywhere.

The amended article is still wrong btw, it's straight up murder not a hit and run.

Caporegime
Hows he wrong btw? There was pretty much zero media coverage? We both know if it was 2 white guys that decided to murder a black guy randomly cycling along the road for giggles it would have been everywhere.

The amended article is still wrong btw, it's straight up murder not a hit and run.
Conservatives basically own local news in America and more than a few national news stations, why didn't they cover it?

It's their bread and butter no?

Caporegime
Dunno if this one's been mentioned but it made me chuckle. In the 'states the United Auto Workers union went on strike, which meant that Tesla struggled for a bit. So what does Elon to? Removes the UAW's Twitter verification status temporarily :D

The best part is he's expecting companies to pay $1k a month for verification ticks, which he has now demonstrated he can just remove whenever he wants.

The joke is just writing itself at this point :cry:

Caporegime
It was a good fact check and just backed up what he said?

The news article at the time said crash, it was infact a hit and run. If anything he's agreeing with the fact check?
False, the original article states it was a hit and run in the actual article (as opposed to just the headline)

At the time they obviously didn't know who caused it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom