The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one is surprised at Elon getting involved in culture wars and that white people dying gets supressed but minorities gets elevated. Thing is as soon as the news that it was actually murder came out it was all over the media so how does that fit his narrative? He just loves to stir the pot, helps get those clicks and drive the $.
My thoughts too.

This culture stuff is such a bore, and it's extra boring to see someone like Elon get involved. So boring hearing the right endlessly going on about this culture stuff. Far too obsessed about nothing.

Soldato
My thoughts too.

This culture stuff is such a bore, and it's extra boring to see someone like Elon get involved. So boring hearing the right endlessly going on about this culture stuff. Far too obsessed about nothing.

They love culture wars, it drives engagement and keeps their market be it voters or subscribers angry. Anger is the ultimate for engagement.

Soldato
Soldato
Dorsey runs Twitter for years, and keeps the bots under control. Musk sacks a bunch of people, discovers he can't control the bots anymore, and decides to penalise users instead.

What an absolute plum.

The bots were never under control. This isn't an 'X' problem, it's every social media platform out there, plus almost any online platform you can imagine. It will get far worse in the long term with AI advancements. There really is very little any company can do except a paid system because what else can counter bots?

Mobster
Soldato
The bots were never under control. This isn't an 'X' problem, it's every social media platform out there, plus almost any online platform you can imagine. It will get far worse in the long term with AI advancements. There really is very little any company can do except a paid system because what else can counter bots?

Can you give a clear example of the bots not being under control?

Man of Honour
He's not seriously going to put the whole thing behind a monthly subscription surely?

He can't be that stupid can he?

I think it is a classic case of not expecting people to do something different when you change the rules - like when Labour bangs on about getting X amount of billions from closing such and such a tax loophole like people won't either stop what they are doing or find another way around it so you'll never actually see that money or only a fraction of it.

Commissario
A pound a year won't do much if anything to stop bots, all it will do is slightly up the cost of hiring them given that just setting up a bot farm is reasonably expensive to start off with.
Remember since Musk started doing his "enter credit card for verification mark" stuff there has already been a huge surge in bots and scammers who are quite willing to pay $8/12 a month for verification, and even a fair few that are willing to pay the $1k a month for the "verified organisation or company" marks.

What a charge will do is push away a lot of users who are already getting fed up with how twitter is being run.

Soldato
£1 per year charge will help sort bots and not be off putting for western users. Good luck to poorer countries, or maybe they will get a 5p per year charge and then the bots will register there and now the bot issue continues.

I won't be giving Musk a single penny, I imagine a huge portion of the user base will be in the same boat. I hope he does it so that Twitter collapses and something else like Threads takes over instead.

A pound a year won't do much if anything to stop bots, all it will do is slightly up the cost of hiring them given that just setting up a bot farm is reasonably expensive to start off with.
Remember since Musk started doing his "enter credit card for verification mark" stuff there has already been a huge surge in bots and scammers who are quite willing to pay $8/12 a month for verification, and even a fair few that are willing to pay the $1k a month for the "verified organisation or company" marks.

What a charge will do is push away a lot of users who are already getting fed up with how twitter is being run.
I guess my thought being that bots don't last long, so if they keep having to pay £1 per year, but only get 1 week from that bot, it's going to cost them £52 per year, per bot etc.

I imagine as well there are different types of bots. Ones that are there to get money out of people, so happy to pay the price to appear authentic, and those that are designed to cause disruption, and make someone like trump appear popular, or make every polltician look bad and dirty so that those that are really the bad ones get lost in the noise. Those bots paying a small £1 per year can rack up, and on top, there surely won't be that many credit cards to keep bots alive.

Commissario
Re credit cards, IIRC Twittter/x like most places accepts "virtual" credit cards, there is practically an infinite number of virtual credit card numbers that can be used (something like a trillion combinations per card issuing company).

Even if Twitter/musk could id virtual card numbers I doubt they'd want to ban them given that a lot of people on low incomes will make use of disposable/prepaid cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom