The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I would say so, he spoke about how governments would need to introduce a universal basic income for people, however he called it universal high income because he said resources would be so abundant due to AI that everyone would have a very high standard of living, the PM spoke about how governments would need to support people through the transition due to AI making a lot of jobs obsolete. He spoke about how open source AI and closed source AI is about 18 months apart, so we're seeing tech that is 18 months old, however AI is developing so fast that AI that's 18 months ahead is 10 times more powerful. So according to that I'd expect AI to radically change the job market in the next 2-5 years.

So do you think UBI is a good thing?

I don't think removing incentive to work and progress is good for society. There's a lot of people who would be perfectly happy to sit at home playing on their Xbox and getting **** faced on a weekend with their UBI money who currently are actually forced to contribute to the economy. The social implications are quite radical, not everyone is a good actor who will use their UBI money to start a small business or spend more time raising their children, people will also take UBI while selling drugs on the side or shop lifting to supplement their UBI money.

I watched the whole talk he did with Rishi. Crazy how a room full of people in the technology and AI field went to hear him speak to the PM, yet according to most people in this thread he's an idiot.
You couldn't make it more simple and still get it wrong could you.

Do you still think trump won the election because trump got bigger crows than Biden got at pre election events?

Last edited:
Because like him, you have failed to explain HOW this happens. How does AI make resources plentiful? It's not going to be true AI anyway - if it was, then forcing it to do manual labour would be slavery.

I mean, there's a 50 minute interview where he's explaining to a room full of people working in this industry, of which London is one of the leading areas, how AI makes resources plentiful. I'm really not quite sure how you don't understand how AI driven robots replacing all manner of jobs would make resources plentiful though. If a robot can do the job of 5 people because it works 5 times more efficiently, then you multiply that across the entire economy, then the price of everything becomes incredibly cheap. Also, a robot isn't just an artificial human, it's anything that can perform a task and be connected to the internet.

So do you think UBI is a good thing?

Why did you take a post from years ago and try to make out like it conflicted with something I posted above, which it didn't? Why are you posting in a thread to try and "catch me out"? Do you think I've ever even clicked on your profile or remembered a single thing you've posted? I haven't and I don't.

No need to get so salty, it was literally a question as to what you think of UBI now and a quote from 3 years ago which was easily found by using the search function.

I didn't post it to catch you out, I posted it to remind you of a previous position you had that indicates you don't think it's a great concept because Humans are lazy.

I mean, there's a 50 minute interview where he's explaining to a room full of people working in this industry, of which London is one of the leading areas, how AI makes resources plentiful. I'm really not quite sure how you don't understand how AI driven robots replacing all manner of jobs would make resources plentiful though. If a robot can do the job of 5 people because it works 5 times more efficiently, then you multiply that across the entire economy, then the price of everything becomes incredibly cheap. Also, a robot isn't just an artificial human, it's anything that can perform a task and be connected to the internet.

I understand that economics might not be your strong point but are you even reading what you're writing?
I'm really not quite sure how you don't understand how AI driven robots replacing all manner of jobs would make resources plentiful though.
That's a legitimate question and responding with "Elon is in a video" doesn't provide an answer of any substance.

the price of everything becomes incredibly cheap

See above.

If a robot can do the job of 5 people because it works 5 times more efficiently, then you multiply that across the entire economy, then the price of everything becomes incredibly cheap. Also, a robot isn't just an artificial human, it's anything that can perform a task and be connected to the internet.

If the history of capitalism through the industrial revolution and beyond has taught us anything, it is that automation and technology simply helps increase corporate profits. You can be damn sure it wont be used to make people's lives actually better.

You are far more optimistic than I am if you think AI is in anyway going to make life better for people, everything cheaper and make resources plentiful. It will just be harnessed to make the rich even more money.

On the subject of AI, it might be prudent to not listen to one of the people who will exploit AI to extract more and more profit from everyone and everything.

Last edited:
Do you think I've ever even clicked on your profile or remembered a single thing you've posted? I haven't and I don't.
I won't answer your point because... I don't know who you are so your point is invalid lol.

Sounds almost like a coping mechanism to me.

"everyone laughs at me on OCUK forum, but that's good because now they know who I am and therefore my points that they laugh at are no valid.

What Vincent said seemed to really hit a nerve. You could, you know, just answer it.

I understand that economics might not be your strong point but are you even reading what you're writing?

This isn't something that difficult to understand, fundamentally AI will be an exponential multiplier to productivity across the whole economy. This will reduce the price of everything because we will have more of everything. Supply will outstrip demand. A robot can work 168 hours per week and will likely also work much faster and with far fewer errors than a human.

If the history of capitalism through the industrial revolution and beyond has taught us anything, it is that automation and technology simply helps increase corporate profits. You can be damn sure it wont be used to make people's lives actually better.

You are far more optimistic than I am if you think AI is in anyway going to make life better for people, everything cheaper and make resources plentiful. It will just be harnessed to make the rich even more money.

On the subject of AI, it might be prudent to not listen to one of the people who will exploit AI to extract more and more profit from everyone and everything.

Our quality of life is VASTLY improved since the industrial revolution, our quality of life will VASTLY improve again with AI. Is this even a serious post?

This isn't something that difficult to understand, fundamentally AI will be an exponential multiplier to productivity across the whole economy. This will reduce the price of everything because we will have more of everything. Supply will outstrip demand. A robot can work 168 hours per week and will likely also work much faster and with far fewer errors than a human.

BUT WHAT WILL ROBOTS BE DOING THAT THEY AREN'T ALREADY DOING? WHY WILL AI MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE TO THIS?

Last edited:
Our quality of life is VASTLY improved since the industrial revolution, our quality of life will VASTLY improve again with AI. Is this even a serious post?

The massive increase in depression and mental health disorders in recent decades says otherwise.

Ok, we have fancy phones and fancy cars, but we are all realising that is not what makes humans happy.

The increase in internet usage and AI will just lead us further into the abyss.

This isn't something that difficult to understand,

It seems it is for at least one of us.

fundamentally AI will be an exponential multiplier to productivity across the whole economy.

But how?

This will reduce the price of everything because we will have more of everything.

Oh.

Supply will outstrip demand.

I imagine you mean this as a positive and unlinked to any downsides? C'mon dude, this is Economics 101.

A robot can work 168 hours per week and will likely also work much faster and with far fewer errors than a human.

Efficiency is something I'd probably agree with you on. It ignores the much larger, inherent problems of the approach and actually seems to be the 'Yes but ..!' tech vs social argument

The massive increase in depression and mental health disorders in recent decades says otherwise.

Ok, we have fancy phones and fancy cars, but we are all realising that is not what makes humans happy.

Wait, you think depression has increased in 2023? Yes, I'm sure no one was depressed as they were waking up hungry, cold, and suffering from preventable illnesses every day. Depression is a recent illness caused by mobile phones.

It's almost like the last 40 years of society goes against the grain of millions of years of evolution that came before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom