The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
So much this.

If there is a site that pops up in my searches that looks like it might have something of interest i'm likely to click it, if it requires me to sign up to just read a page I'm "noping" out of there as fast as I can hit the back button.
I don't think I'm at all unusual in not wanting to sign up for every random page or site on the internet to read a single item, and one of the things twitter used to be great for was the fact you could click a link, get a tweet and read it quickly (whilst being served an advert) then if it was a company's tweet potentially click through to their site, which meant Twitter got an ad view and the company got someone going to their specific page.

As it stands now I know i'm not getting stuff from half the companies and individuals I signed up to twitter to keep track of because their stuff is buried, so I'm tending to go direct to their sites when they've got one which means less time spent on twitter.
And it feels like most of the individuals I follow on twitter are only maintaining their accounts now because they've not got one on the other apps yet (several have already stated they're only cross posting to twitter from their new "main" for important stuff, others that they're effectively only using twitter until a current contract that requires they do so for promotional reasons runs out).

I think people like Musk MASSIVELY overlook the benefits of "lurkers" and people that use these websites without an account (ie people who just want to read but not engage in posting).

I think people like Musk MASSIVELY overlook the benefits of "lurkers" and people that use these websites without an account (ie people who just want to read but not engage in posting).
i'd say it's more that they massively overlook the desire for "lurkers" to sign up. when elon announced this change, he was quoted as saying about how lots of viewers are on the site without being logged in, and so they don't know any information about that user and they user gets a free experience without giving anything back. How hard is it to sign up/login after all. well it's not hard, and yet people still don't want to do it, and more so than ever due to elon being elon. imagine google deciding that to use their search engine you first have to sign up. what a whacky thought.

What are you on about? I called him getting more unstable because of his actions and interviews that I have seen him directly. Not because of anything the US government dislikes.

Ok sure

Nope not the case even remotely. Got nothing to do with the anti-musk media. Same for all my other quotes you put down to anti-musk media it has nothing to do with that.

You uniquely think rocket man bad due to reasons. Okay.

The engineer who made the changes reported it, Musk made comment about it when the change was done and everyone has seen the end results and effect which has been mentioned in this thread not only time and time again but recently. You do see all the people in this thread saying things like

“Not to mention the algorithm promoting his words to people that don't follow him.
Every morning I woke up there would be a notification on my phone regarding a tweet he made, and I was not a follower. Eventually I just deleted the X app.”

They are not making that up, it is directly related to Feb 2023 when Musk had the engineers changed the algorithm to increase his post weighting by a factor of 1000. Pushing out what Musk doesn’t want to see and pushing in what he wants to see more off. Not only for himself but all users. Completely against free speech.

You call it a borderline conspiracy theory but not only has everyone seen the end result its directly there in the source code that was leaked online. As one exmple.

images-1.fill.size_2000x1309.v1680299279.png

The source code and algorithm favours the far right leaning politics Musk prefers and pushes aside everything else. On top of that it looks like Musk’s own posts have an extra weighting of a factor of 1000 pushing them into places they don’t belong and pushing out the free speech of other users who are downgraded to make room for Musk.
Furthermore the algorithm was dividing people into Republicans and Democrats and then pushing a Republican agenda. How is that free speech?

So this article explains it.

Engineers thought it could be a legitimate bug, so deployed the "fix" you posted above.

Elon posted the following, saying they did do that briefly, but they fixed it.

I'm not sure how you're proving the source code favours "far right leaning politics" since those lines of code have no weighting in that I can see? Is there anything more to it?

Well I am telling you that as someone who works in social media that my organisation and many like us have dropped Twitter not because of any anti-musk media we have seen. But directly due to the negative changes Musk has implanted in Twitter. It got so bad the web developers we use had to contact all their client about removing Twitter integration due to Musk changes. Of which with this web developer overwhelming almost every single client choose to remove Twitter from the business/organisation website due to the changes Musk made. In fact the website I helped launch just last week started off with Twitter integrated into the front page at the start of the project and by the time the site went live last week Twitter was completely 100% removed from the website. I am seeing this time and time again.

This doesn't mean anything. You're just saying negative changes that Musk has made but not actually specifying anything. It's probably more like "Twitter is bad for our brand image because the media has told us Elon Musk is bad, so we removed Twitter integration from the platform".

You can try to write this off as anti-musk media hysterics but its what I am seeing on mass in social media from a business/organisation point of view.

Yes it is that, and I will.

As for accounts you say signing up is a minor thing but that is not what the metrics show. The vast majority of end users who would otherwise have clicked on a business/organisation Twitter feed and would have interacted with the product would instead be greeted with a sign in in page now. On seeing a sign in page the majority would just walk away where in the past they would have interacted with the business/organisation. This is the life blood of Twitter and Musk is killing that. It might be simple to sign up but the metrics are saying the majority of people don’t sign up and instead stop interacting. This is the very life blood of Twitter that is being damaged. This is why revenue; Twitter use and adverts income have plummeted and unbelievable amount.

Well we're finally at the first interesting point of the post, I'm surprised that the "vast majority" of end users don't have a Twitter account, I'd suggest it's just that they're not signed in to Twitter on the device they clicked the link on. This frequently happens if you're using a business device and don't want to log in to your personal social media account on it I've personally found. I think probably this is a bad change overall and one they should revert.

i'd say it's more that they massively overlook the desire for "lurkers" to sign up. when elon announced this change, he was quoted as saying about how lots of viewers are on the site without being logged in, and so they don't know any information about that user and they user gets a free experience without giving anything back. How hard is it to sign up/login after all. well it's not hard, and yet people still don't want to do it, and more so than ever due to elon being elon. imagine google deciding that to use their search engine you first have to sign up. what a whacky thought.

But he seems to not understand that you can still advertise to these people, so no they are not getting a free experience. He likely just doesn't like it because he can't use tailored advertising.

But honestly, i'm totally at the limit of my fatigue with the internet. i have so many accounts now that it isn't really manageable, and i would prefer to just not sign up to anything unless i absolutely have to.

Pinterest is a perfect example of this. I purposefully avoid images to that site due to this.
Same..

People are still wasting their time responding to Roarbot87 :cry:
He's fine, you need an antedote to the constant whining about every time Musk takes a dump or something..

Musk is an easy target, but when you rag on literally everything, it needs some 'balance'.. ;)

Last edited:
Pinterest is a perfect example of this. I purposefully avoid images to that site due to this.
Younger brother does a lot of image searches for his model painting to get reference pictures and see what other people have used (and hopefully information on what the actual paints used were), he's reached the point a long time ago where he's including "exclude this site" terms as muscle memory for pinterest etc.
Such sites actively make the internet worse imo, as they tend to pollute the search results with stuff you cannot access.

Younger brother does a lot of image searches for his model painting to get reference pictures and see what other people have used (and hopefully information on what the actual paints used were), he's reached the point a long time ago where he's including "exclude this site" terms as muscle memory for pinterest etc.
Such sites actively make the internet worse imo, as they tend to pollute the search results with stuff you cannot access.

Yep. Instagram too.

I hate anything that is behind an account wall (where i don't want to post/engage)

who's adverts? :D they all but gone

No, not at all
All the decent trustworthy ones have gone, now the Ads are far more scam orientated. Like the "musk has just launched a crypto coin" ad that comes up every week or so.
Or the multitude of drop shipping ads that frequently now have community notes added to them saying its a drop shipper and available cheaper or elsewhere.
Or the ones advertising things that are illegal in the uk, like the new strimmer head that is made of metal (not allowed in the UK)

100% Ads are still just as much there. You just get junk ads now and outright scam adverts rather than legit businesses.

He should have carried a toilet in when he walked in, "who let that sink in" should have been "watch me flush twitter"

No, not at all
All the decent trustworthy ones have gone, now the Ads are far more scam orientated. Like the "musk has just launched a crypto coin" ad that comes up every week or so.
Or the multitude of drop shipping ads that frequently now have community notes added to them saying its a drop shipper and available cheaper or elsewhere.
Or the ones advertising things that are illegal in the uk, like the new strimmer head that is made of metal (not allowed in the UK)

100% Ads are still just as much there. You just get junk ads now and outright scam adverts rather than legit businesses.

He should have carried a toilet in when he walked in, "who let that sink in" should have been "watch me flush twitter"
slightly ot Is that a new rule?
I ask as my old Ryobi "Expand-it" strimmers came with interchangeable "brush cutter" blades which were metal.

“You uniquely think rocket man bad due to reasons. Okay.”
Not uniquely a growing number of people both who work directly with him and external like myself are noticing and pointing it out including fans of musk and people like myself that support him and like him. The problem here is you have an extreme bias and so are incorrectly writing off valid problems and criticism as just anti-musk media and bad rocket man nonsense. Just look at how you have reacted to my posts.
First you tried to bring the government into this as a way write off my posts. When my post has nothing to do with the government. Then when you was proven wrong about that you incorrectly and falsely accused me of watching and believing hysterical anti-Musk media which is just wrong and something you made up. Then you went onto trying to push a false narrative about anti Musk bad rocket man which couldn’t be further from the truth.

I support and approve of Musk’s Rocket business same for his EV business it’s great and pushing us forward. Its only Twitter where I think he was got it badly wrong and I have experienced direct problems in my job due to Musk negative changes towards Twitter.
Not only due to the technical changes he made in the background. Impacts like cost like removing free web integration via API’s and then charging a stupid free which would cost my organization something like an increased £30,000 yearly combined with the problem even if we pay that, our end customer wouldn’t even see our posts due to the login problem Musk created. Then all the other costs like needing to be certified and paying extra to get the posts promoted and seen which didn’t used to cost us money. The costs have increased so much they outweigh any benefit we had from using Twitter.

Rather then Twitter gain money by charging stupid amounts for all these things that used to be free. Musk has driven away a large part of the user base which has driven away the add revenue and click though revenue making a massive net negative which in turn has driven away the core advertises that brought in the main money Twitter relayed upon. But you just see that as “doesn't mean anything.”

“It's probably more like "Twitter is bad for our brand image because the media has told us Elon Musk is bad, so we removed Twitter integration from the platform".
This is just another example and case of your extreme bias problem. It got nothing to do with this. As an organisation we don’t care one bit about Musk’s image and from what I can tell neither do our customers.

We care about interacting with our end users which not only no longer works on Twitter but also costs us a massive increase in cost due to the backend API changes. End result we don’t use Twitter anymore and removed website integration. Why pay £30,000 extra to get nothing back. Even if we paid the £30,000 yearly we would be worse off getting less interactions with our customer then before Musk changes. (£30,000) is just a very quick paper napkin estimation to cover all the differing API’s, certified accounts that my organisation would need to run like we did before Musk took over its not 100% accurate.
I like Twitter if it wasn’t for the stupid costs and the fact we can no longer connect with our customers due to Musks changes we would still be using Twitter. We are not alone I see wide spread organisations doing the same as we have and are abandoning Twitter. I spoke to our web developer and approx. 90% of there clients removed Twitter like we did from our websites rather then pay the new costs.

“I'm not sure how you're proving the source code favours "far right leaning politics" since those lines of code have no weighting in that I can see? Is there anything more to it?”
Yes the many reports both internal and external including directly from engineers like Luca Belli the staff machine learning researcher who came to the conclusion “In six out of seven countries — all but Germany — Tweets posted by accounts from the political right receive more algorithmic amplification than the political left when studied as a group.“ Its been an on going problem that predates Musk taking over Twitter and has only got worse once Musk took over. On top of the link I gave you before you can do a good search for Twitter bias.

I haven't got this next link right now and its to late at night to search for it. Somewhere on reddit I think it was, there was a post where they dug into the source code and found all sorts of + and - rules about what is pushed towards or away from users.

Look at the EU report I linked to before that show Twitter is the no1 worst social media site for misinformation. Misinformation that has only got worse under Musk.

“Engineers thought it could be a legitimate bug, so deployed the "fix" you posted above.”
Very clearly the fix has not been applied and the weighting for Musk posts is still there. Just look at how many people still have the problem.

Last time I logged into Twitter on my personal account 90% of my posts feed was changed to Musk himself, America Sports, American far right Politics, American Music and other areas I have zero interest. I don’t even watch or like UK sport and music let alone American style. Instead of seeing all the brands and stuff I like to see it was everything Musk seems to favour.

By the looks of it Musk got at least 48 dollars, that's what happened going by that picture.

Mind you how many he kept after the real card holders realised their cards had been skimmed/copied/stolen and done chargebacks is anyone's guess (I'm trying to remember if chargebacks incur an additional fee for the company that gets the chargeback, in which case it could be negative income).

Last edited:
You would certainly need to have balls of steel to consider riding in his space stuff.

And to think, once AI takes off, Musk will be one of our saviours. Yeah of course he holds human life in such high regard.

The idea that someone, especially an exec would be encouraging people NOT to wear high vis gear on sites with heavy plant equipment is utterly insane to me.
Most of the time such people know the basic reason for it, and know how hard the company (and themselves potentially personally) can pay the price for staff not wearing such things if needed.

5 times the industry standard of injuries* and not reporting them seems a little risky, especially given a lot of the people working in the company who are likely to get hurt are going to have skills and abilities that are going to be hard to replace, as one of the main reasons (other than the cost of insurance, or risk of being shut down due to safety) that companies tend to have to taking safety seriously isn't because they care about the staff, but because they care about the delays that follow if you end up down a skilled member of staff (not to mention the pesky OSHA investigations as to why you didn't have that bit of standard safety gear, or why you didn't replace a part you know was defective and a risk).

*So not even the excuse "this is a risky industry" when other companies and organisations in the same industry seem to be managing with far fewer injuries.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom