The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla always felt like a tech type based share price rather than its value being based on any realistic basis.

The thing with pure technology based companies is that they can spin up more servers etc much more easily than ypu can spin up manufacturing plants, so it's relatively easy to suddenly be the biggest in the world, especially if you're a new idea.

It's also easier for people to switch to your product in the non physical and trivial cost world of tech, if you're offering an existing idea with a 'USP'.

Tesla always felt like a tech type based share price rather than its value being based on any realistic basis.

The thing with pure technology based companies is that they can spin up more servers etc much more easily than ypu can spin up manufacturing plants, so it's relatively easy to suddenly be the biggest in the world, especially if you're a new idea.

It's also easier for people to switch to your product in the non physical and trivial cost world of tech, if you're offering an existing idea with a 'USP'.

Apple is a tech company and very much reliant on manufacturing plants (their most successful product by far is a phone but historically it was personal computers) and they're the biggest company in the world.

And servers aren't magical abstract things, they exist in large data centers, when companies get to that scale they'll be building their own. Both building data centers and building manufacturing plants or contracting parts of your supply chain to others have plenty of challenges at scale.

Apple is a tech company and very much reliant on manufacturing plants (their most successful product by far is a phone but historically it was personal computers) and they're the biggest company in the world.

And servers aren't magical abstract things, they exist in large data centers, when companies get to that scale they'll be building their own. Both building data centers and building manufacturing plants or contracting parts of your supply chain to others have plenty of challenges at scale.
Completely off-topic for the Twitter thread but...Tesla is (currently) mostly reliant on third-party infrastructure (AWS, with a bit of GCP and Azure) although it's been rumoured they've been building, or at least trying to, their own DC's.

Few years back, Apple was one of AWS's biggest customers, so even 'the biggest company in the world' still relies on others for parts of their infrastructure - this is pretty typical given the issues and expense around running your own DC's.

Last edited:
You don't become a billionaire by paying people that work for you good/proportionate wages.

They do that at SpaceX as well. SpaceX employs volunteer student interns and even for the staff who are paid, SpaceX is well known for having the lowest salaries in the Space industry

Last edited:
Completely off-topic for the Twitter thread but...Tesla is (currently) mostly reliant on third-party infrastructure (AWS, with a bit of GCP and Azure) although it's been rumoured they've been building, or at least trying to, their own DC's.

Few years back, Apple was one of AWS's biggest customers, so even 'the biggest company in the world' still relies on others for parts of their infrastructure - this is pretty typical given the issues and expense around running your own DC's.

Exactly, at that scale they're not magical things that can just be spun up, rather they're complicated things to own and manage or you need to pay others to do the same, I think people seem to forget that because it's all abstracted away from them; software, the digital realm is seen as magical, not physical etc.

What's your take on the matter?

That there is no such thing as Great Replacement and its just another racist trope that has been used for over 100 years (maybe longer) in many countries. Elon has fallen into many right wing rabbit holes and is making himself look like an idiot who believes all kinds of nonsense. I'm sure advertisers are in no rush to come back to Twitter and will continue to spend their money elsewhere while he drags the platforms reputation through the mud.

Does the US have a problem at its southern border? Clearly it does and has done for a very long time. Much like abortion though its not a problem either side want to "fix" becuase its used to motivate the voters. The idea that Democrats want illegal immigration because it helps them win elections is laughable as only citizens get to vote. Unless of course you believe that there is huge amount of voter fraud and all these illegals are voting. I fully expect Elon to jump on that conspiracy train in before Jan 20th 2025.

That there is no such thing as Great Replacement and its just another racist trope that has been used for over 100 years (maybe longer) in many countries. Elon has fallen into many right wing rabbit holes and is making himself look like an idiot who believes all kinds of nonsense. I'm sure advertisers are in no rush to come back to Twitter and will continue to spend their money elsewhere while he drags the platforms reputation through the mud.

Does the US have a problem at its southern border? Clearly it does and has done for a very long time. Much like abortion though its not a problem either side want to "fix" becuase its used to motivate the voters. The idea that Democrats want illegal immigration because it helps them win elections is laughable as only citizens get to vote. Unless of course you believe that there is huge amount of voter fraud and all these illegals are voting. I fully expect Elon to jump on that conspiracy train in before Jan 20th 2025.

Maybe it is a conspiracy, but something does feel off, just go look at some of the auditors on Youtube, hotels up and down the country have been bought out for years by the government to handle the amount of numbers coming into the coutnry.
Three hotels in my town have been closed to the public, how many others here I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Kind of agree, although, politicians using the problem as a motivation for voters is just as crazy a conspiracy as TGR is.

They are just crap, and don't respect the job they have bestowed upon them imo.

Last edited:
Maybe it is a conspiracy, but something does feel off, just go look at some of the auditors on Youtube, hotels up and down the country have been bought out for years by the government to handle the amount of numbers coming into the coutnry.
Three hotels in my town have been closed to the public, how many others here I'm not sure.

How is the government actually looking forward a conspiracy? I was talking about the US as that is where the Great Replacement Theory is rampant but I'm sure its here as well and as we seem to be copying the loons over there in ever greater numbers I would imagine we'll start hearing it more and more here as well. Though how the right is going to blame the left when the right has been in power for 14 years is a mystery, I'm sure they'll find a way though.

Maybe they are actually looking forward because they know the boats aren't stopping. Until we find a way/reason for those men to stay in their own countries this problem isn't going anywhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom