The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. Bring back the jaquar and Mercedes stiff logo on the bonet. If the person gets hit they are already dead, and if not, why was their body in the way of that poor person's vehicle.

Well I mean if your going to have a manufacturers bonnet ornament punched into your forehead as you die, you at least wanna go out with style right? ;)

Even you must realise that with Collision Avoidance Assist a Cybertruck is just going to be much safer than other vehicles on the road for the driver and pedestrians, irrespective of the shape or material, it will simply be far less likely to hit a pedestrian.

Really? Come on, you can't possibly be this thick :D

Should have gone to Specsavers: "Yes, we are highly confident that Cybertruck will be much safer per mile than other trucks, both for occupants and pedestrians"

]

You appear to be correct, but I'm curious what "safer" means to Elon, as he's been a snakey boy it seems, so when he means "it's safer for padestrians" does he just mean "they are less likely to be hit (if the driver uses self driving), but then if they are hit, it's found to be less safe to actually be hit by a Cybertruck.

Though either way I feel it's some what irrelevant as all vehicles are dangerous one way or another, and a truck especially

Really? Come on, you can't possibly be this thick :D

Teslas are some of the safest cars, if not the safest on the road, and the Cybertruck incorporates all of the same technology. It's fine to just admit you're wrong guys, just take the L here. If you're in a Cybertruck you'll be less likely to kill a pedestrian or be killed yourself than basically anything else on the road.

a truck especially

I've got and had many American neighbours who have brought their trucks over. (live near 2x US airbases)
Some are truly staggering by UK terms. The big ones seem to vary between stomach and throat/head height, I am saying that as someone at 6 foot tall.

I saw an interview (that I was referring to above) where Elon was going on about how the occupants of his truck would be far less likely to receive injury in a vehicle accident, inferring that the energy would be passed elsewhere...

The pedestrian side is somewhat different, but this gives an good example

Elon has always, like always, over hyped this sort of thing on his vehicles when numerous videos will show the cars literally ignoring things like people in front of them.
The question is in regards stuff like pedestrian vs truck/car impacts is is Ai really going to be game changing here by enough to exceed the retrograde of using cameras as opposed to simple sensors like many cars already have in regards frontal detection.

If you have driven a car with frontal detection down a country lane with occasional obstacles that come right up to the edge of the verge you will know precisely what I mean!

I hope hes right tbh, because if he is than all cars will potentially get the same level of pedestrian avoidance. At that point the truck will go to the bottom of the list as the passive and active stuff like (as mentioned above bonnets that move further away from the engine block) will mean lower risk to the pedestrians that do get hit.
Some will always be hit, physics will ensure it.

Actually, just posting about the stuff they bring over has raised a thought.
Some of the stuff they bring over has never been sold in the UK, so no way it would have UK type approval.

So they must be grandfathering some other test (my assumption).

I will try to remember to ask one when I see something funky parked about.
Some retain US plates, some (probably most in reality) get a UK plate.
I wonder if the ones on US plates do so because of a problem in getting a UK plate on that vehicle...

Even you must realise that with Collision Avoidance Assist a Cybertruck is just going to be much safer than other vehicles on the road for the driver and pedestrians, irrespective of the shape or material, it will simply be far less likely to hit a pedestrian.

Ah so we've gone from - how would a head hit the bonnet to - but the vehicle wouldn't hit the person anyway :rolleyes: You think Tesla are the only new vehicles with anti collision systems? Many others use more than just cameras, so how you consider Tesla to be safer than any other vehicle is a mystery. Is it safer with the vehicle being able to act if the driver doesn't compared to older car with no systems? Obviously yes. It is far from infallible though, there is no shortage of footage of Tesla doing crazy stuff that endangers the driver and other road users. The point is that the materials the truck is built from makes it more dangerous than a similar vehicle just made from normal 0.6mm standard steel or composites if it hits a pedestrian.

Teslas are some of the safest cars, if not the safest on the road, and the Cybertruck incorporates all of the same technology. It's fine to just admit you're wrong guys, just take the L here. If you're in a Cybertruck you'll be less likely to kill a pedestrian or be killed yourself than basically anything else on the road.

My god man can you stop kissing his arse for 10 seconds? That bolded part is just sycophantic nonsense.

...with Collision Avoidance Assist a Cybertruck is just going to be much safer than other vehicles on the road for the driver and pedestrians.
Can you post reliable source(s), preferably some actual data, that show the Cybertruck is "much safer than other vehicles on the road" for pedestrians? Thanks :)

Last edited:
Can you post reliable source(s), preferably some actual data, that show the Cybertruck is "much safer than other vehicles on the road" for pedestrians? Thanks :)

No there isn't any yet as you know, it's only just been released. Logically though given it has the same technology that's in a Tesla it's extremely likely this will be the case. I wonder when the Elon haters will just have a day off hating

Problem is Musk and Tesla are claiming the they safer and yet the stats are starting to say the opposite

Eg "Former NHTSA senior safety adviser Missy Cummings, a professor at George Mason University’s College of Engineering and Computing, said the surge in Tesla crashes is troubling.
“Tesla is having more severe — and fatal — crashes than people in a normal data set,” she said in response to the figures analyzed by The Post. One likely cause, she said, is the expanded rollout over the past year and a half of Full Self-Driving, which brings driver-assistance to city and residential streets. “The fact that … anybody and everybody can have it. … Is it reasonable to expect that might be leading to increased accident rates? Sure, absolutely.”"

I think the jury is to all extents still out in regards this one.

Yep, deffo safer...
"Since the reporting requirements were introduced, the vast majority of the 807 automation-related crashes have involved Teslas, the data shows. Tesla — which has experimented more aggressively with automation than other automakers have — also is linked to almost all of the deaths."

No there isn't any yet as you know, it's only just been released. Logically though given it has the same technology that's in a Tesla it's extremely likely this will be the case. I wonder when the Elon haters will just have a day off hating

You think I am some elon hater? Don't get me wrong, his decline since his purchase of Twitter has been spectacular to watch, but I don't hate the guy. In fact I kindasorta hope this Twitter thing fizzles out and he goes back to making cool stuff but I think he's too far gone.

Your comment about Cybertrucks being safer than other cars is absolutely ridiculous though. Ignoring the lack of scientific data and your hilarious assumptions, I'd rather get hit by a sedan or a hatchback than a truck. Any truck.

No there isn't any yet
Lol it's been a while since I spit my drink out

8bsvcl.jpg

Last edited:
You appear to be correct, but I'm curious what "safer" means to Elon, as he's been a snakey boy it seems, so when he means "it's safer for padestrians" does he just mean "they are less likely to be hit (if the driver uses self driving), but then if they are hit, it's found to be less safe to actually be hit by a Cybertruck.

Though either way I feel it's some what irrelevant as all vehicles are dangerous one way or another, and a truck especially

Yep I think you're spot on and that's exactly what he means, obvs the truck (in terms of shape etc..) is less safe, but they believe that the AI safety features (which come into play even without autopilot or FSD) negate that to the point where it's still safer overall. I don't think that's sneaky, so long as it works well then that would seem to be true, better to not hit people in the first place in a bunch of accidents that would otherwise occur vs hitting them all those times but mitigating it a bit with the shape/design of the truck.

Last edited:
Your comment about Cybertrucks being safer than other cars is absolutely ridiculous though. Ignoring the lack of scientific data and your hilarious assumptions, I'd rather get hit by a sedan or a hatchback than a truck. Any truck.

Wouldn't you rather not get hit though, which is the other rather relevant factor here re: safety.

Personally, I'd rather a near miss with a cyber truck thanks to AI than ending up on the bonnet of a hatchback driven by some idiot.

Last edited:
that's sneaky, so long as it works well then that would seem to be...

Sorry I meant in the past he has been, so the trust I used to blindly give Elon has gone and now it's worth a double take. Not that he's been sneaky with that comment

Watch any of these Elon and Joe rogan clips on YouTube shorts and see how much stuff he makes up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom