• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Polaris RX 480 Owners Thread.

Pet Northerner
Don
Yes that will be a real good test because if a £200 card can power 3440x1440 reasonably well would be very impressive.

Have Witcher 3 and GTA V downloading on the other halfs pc whilst I'm at work. Should hopefully be able to at least run the benchmark tools tonight before the footy starts :p

DHR

DHR

Soldato
How are people finding the fan noise, have the option of picking up an 8gb reference for £199, don't know whether to snap it up or wait for the AIBs

Associate
So.. my £176 4GB one is delivered today.. i'm finding it hard to choose between unwrapping... or returning and waiting for the AIBs. It would be great for others to take the plunge for me and let me know :p

Last edited:
Associate
I will join here as soon as the customs coming. Hopefully with more power connectors, so no worries for PCIE slot, and high clocks/OC capability.
I have my hopes high, as the ref 480s with custom fitted coolers already seem to clock well...just the ref cooler (and board) is poop.

Soldato
Have Witcher 3 and GTA V downloading on the other halfs pc whilst I'm at work. Should hopefully be able to at least run the benchmark tools tonight before the footy starts :p

Looking forward to this!

I will be gaming at 1080p for this year anyway and this card seems to fit in, especially being able to buy a freesync monitor and 480, cheaper than 1 1070! Question is guys, this will run everything at high on 1080p yeah?

Edit: Sorry if the question isn't fit for a owners thread. This thread's a little calmer than the main one.

Associate
Unless your running a willy wonka board from China then yes. But any decent PSU and mobo will power that with ease.

its not a question of quality of PSU. Its the amount of power going through the motherboard to the card through the PCI-E slot. (its powered also by the 6pin too)
Even quality motherboards may squeel if running 100w through PCI-E slot, Multiply that by the number of cards and yea, they may be able to take it, but would you want to put your motherboard through that?

Associate
its not a question of quality of PSU. Its the amount of power going through the motherboard to the card through the PCI-E slot. (its powered also by the 6pin too)
Even quality motherboards may squeel if running 100w through PCI-E slot, Multiply that by the number of cards and yea, they may be able to take it, but would you want to put your motherboard through that?

A quality motherboard will probably try to regulate that power and end up delivering less to the card (which causes other problems but at least protects the board). The other question is if it affects the audio experience for those using on board sound.

Soldato
Looking forward to this!

I will be gaming at 1080p for this year anyway and this card seems to fit in, especially being able to buy a freesync monitor and 480, cheaper than 1 1070! Question is guys, this will run everything at high on 1080p yeah?

Edit: Sorry if the question isn't fit for a owners thread. This thread's a little calmer than the main one.

Have a look at my post on the 1st page for bench results.

For the games I play it will run them maxed out with decent fps.

So if you're happy with high you should have no probs.

Hope this helps.:)

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Was going to take the plunge yesterday but the price went up while I had it in the basket.

It's probably done me a favour though as now I'm going to wait for an AIB OC'd card instead. Sounds like with decent power and cooling >20% OC is fairly achievable.

Strix or Twin Frozr should do the job nicely. :)

Back
Top Bottom