• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Polaris RX 480 Owners Thread.

Associate
I had only considered 980ti or 10series but with the price of these id have spare money from my 295x2. Certainly moved into a maybe category with the 980ti. I cant see myself gping 4k and wont get a new monitor for a while so its 1080 for now( i run 3 monitors but not for gaming)

Soldato
I play at higher than 1080p and it's great. 1920x1200.

tbh I think 16:10 may be a better shaped monitor for PC's, 16:9 you lose vertical size and resolution. 200 pixels less.

Yeh I think I'd agree with you, mines hooked up to 2 'monitors' but I only tend to use one at a time depending on if I'm on the sofa or sat at the desk, my big screen is 16:10 and my proper monitor, 16:9, I think I prefer 16:10.

But either way it's a very competent card.
In fact the only thing I've turned down in a game so far is the sharpness in witcher 3, not for performance but it just looks better to me with the sharpness lowerd a bit, it just looks too clinical and crystallised, kind of unnatural on max sharpness.

Soldato
Well I don't plan on upgrading any of my 1080 screens for at least 3 years, by the which time there will be newer graphics card options.

I might change my mind in the meantime but I can't see it.

Associate
Well I don't plan on upgrading any of my 1080 screens for at least 3 years, by the which time there will be newer graphics card options.

I might change my mind in the meantime but I can't see it.
Id imagine within 6months id have 2 of these and run till the point where one alone struggles on a game that doesnt support cf them ill want to move on. Really got me thinking now.

Associate
Just ordered myself an Asus Dual OC 480 4GB from OCUK. Was on sale for £165, I did some digging around the web and found that that price is very good. I also looked at some benchmarks and they seemed to indicate that the 4GB and 8GB versions of the 480 have only about 2% performance difference between them.... why is everyone buying the 8gb one for significantly more money?

Soldato
Just ordered myself an Asus Dual OC 480 4GB from OCUK. Was on sale for £165, I did some digging around the web and found that that price is very good. I also looked at some benchmarks and they seemed to indicate that the 4GB and 8GB versions of the 480 have only about 2% performance difference between them.... why is everyone buying the 8gb one for significantly more money?

Longer lifespan once games are running higher res, textures? Like GTA V being a VRAM hog

Associate
Longer lifespan once games are running higher res, textures? Like GTA V being a VRAM hog

Hmm, maybe. I guess I'm used to not necessarily being able to always use the highest settings, so I don't mind turning them down if/when it becomes necessary. Also in a few years time I'll be in a much better financial position to get a higher end card and a high res/refresh monitor. For now I'm only at 1080p 60Hz and most (though not all) of my gaming is stuff like overwatch or starcraft 2. I mainly ordered the 480 cos deus ex mankind divided and total warhammer are too much for my current card (GTX670).

Associate
I went with the 8GB MSI RX 480 Armor in the end... And I'm glad as it's actually fairly quiet under load, especially compared to the Asus Dual versions. The core usually reaches 70C when gaming and the VRMs have reached a max of 76C so far which isn't bad going at all. It doesn't have a backplate, but I don't care as the card sits vertically in my setup anyway and doesn't need extra support (that's all a backplate is good for really.. And aesthetics). No risk of sagging at all :).

Soldato
Coil whine is quite rampant on RX480's anyway, so I wouldn't be too concerned with the fan noise.

Never had any coil wine on any of my Nvidia or AMD cards and that includes my XFX 480 GTR Black edition, fans are dead quiet at 0 RPM for obvious resons, don't even hear them when they do turn on at 60C which is quite rare due to great cooling of my card and case in general, always use good quality PSU and good quality brand and coil whine will never be an issue for 99% of gamers.

Soldato
No coil whine on any of my 4 cards.

Sometimes coil whine is a reflection of the PSU.

No offence Kaap, but at your age you have significant age related hearing loss, so you may just not be able to hear high pitched coil whine.

Anyways, google "rx480 coil whine" and you'll find that many suffer from it.

Man of Honour
OP
No offence Kaap, but at your age you have significant age related hearing loss, so you may just not be able to hear high pitched coil whine.

Anyways, google "rx480 coil whine" and you'll find that many suffer from it.

I can hear coil whine ok, my watercooled 290Xs make quite a racket. I actually used to find it quite handy as depending on how loud they were I could tell how much extra voltage I was giving them !!!

The point is if one RX 480 suffers from coil whine this does not mean they all suffer from it.

Back
Top Bottom