• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Polaris RX 480 Owners Thread.

Soldato
My rx 480 from asus (the strix oc model) have what i would call medium coil whine. as long as FPS usually stays below 75 its so little that i have to directly listen for it. However the second it goes north of 90 it goes bad really quick(though it depends on the specific game and the load it puts on the gpu). Its connect to a corsair ax860 plat psu so the power is pretty darn clean.

Soldato
Coil whine is quite rampant on RX480's anyway, so I wouldn't be too concerned with the fan noise.

Exactly what Crack are you on? Mine is silent.

No offence Kaap, but at your age you have significant age related hearing loss, so you may just not be able to hear high pitched coil whine.

Anyways, google "rx480 coil whine" and you'll find that many suffer from it.

As with every other card. Including my GTX 1080 which howled like a banshee, its quietened down now though. Not to mention all the 970's which even had its own thread devoted to it...

Associate
I dont think mines got any whine , tested it on Heaven and a few games etc etc , but the fan noise is a bt wooshy and can be heard , so i have capped the RPM to 1400 and it seems to be enough to keep it max 75 with full clock speed at 1342

Soldato
Not wishing to start another thread...

I have just picked up a Freesync monitor and currently have a 960 4GB.

I wish to pull the trigger on a 480 (actually probably a 580 tbh..). A 480/580 4GB would suffice at 1080p right? If I game at 1080 then is there any reason to get an 8GB card.

The only game that seems to go above 3 that I play is GTAV.

Cheers.

Associate
For anyone who doubts that the RX 480 Red Devil fits inside a Corsair Air 240:

xq24vtS.jpg

A1sf8PI.jpg

I think Corsair vastly understated the dimensions for this case. They say the max length is 290mm, whereas the Devil is 300mm with plenty of room to spare even with a front fan!

Associate
Hi, I bought the Asus dual RX480 8GB when it was on sale at £179.99 from you guys and I didn't get any voucher for Doom.

I thought maybe you didn't need a code or something so I downloaded the AMD product verification tool here https://www.amd4u.com/amdgamepromo/ but after installing the card and drivers it failed the validation test for some reason. Not sure what I'm doing wrong here...

Associate
Hi, I bought the Asus dual RX480 8GB when it was on sale at £179.99 from you guys and I didn't get any voucher for Doom.

I thought maybe you didn't need a code or something so I downloaded the AMD product verification tool here https://www.amd4u.com/amdgamepromo/ but after installing the card and drivers it failed the validation test for some reason. Not sure what I'm doing wrong here...

I got a code via email almost immediately after ordering.

Soldato

My code was printed on my receipt. The code needs to be entered into the amd rewards site and it will give you a steam code for the game

Soldato
For anyone who doubts that the RX 480 Red Devil fits inside a Corsair Air 240:

I think Corsair vastly understated the dimensions for this case. They say the max length is 290mm, whereas the Devil is 300mm with plenty of room to spare even with a front fan!

I guess they do that so people can't complain if they try and put a card in that doesn't quite fit?

Interesting they seem to have changed the orientation of the badge on the side so it's the right way up, mines upside down!

Out of interest what max gpu temperatures are you getting and are you running the gpu fans at default?

Associate
I realise we have probably been over this a few times before but...

What is the uppermost comfortable temperature limit I should be looking for these things to go to, specifically the ASUS Dual OC model?

Associate
The reference cards originally had a temperature target of 80°C. The Asus dual RX480 has a target of 65°C by default. This makes it sound like a leaf blower. I set mine to 75 and it ran much quieter. Unfortunately I noticed mine was artifacting and causing desktop freezes even at stock clocks and voltages though so I'm returning it :(

Soldato
Interesting my devil hits 80, but is very very quiet, im thinking I can afford to make the cards fans a touch more aggressive, im new to a ati, what's the best way to do it so I don't have to keep setting the fans after a reboot?

Associate
Not sure TBH as I'm also new to AMD cards. Wattman kept crashing for me and resetting the fan profile as well. Can't say I've been too impressed with the hardware or software side of things coming from a faultless GTX 770 :/

Associate
i have switched from Nvidia to AMD, i picked up a rx480 great card. also sorry if i am posting this in the wrong area.

Removed my old drivers etc with DDU but i still get a issue where games sort of flicker unless i tab out once they load and tab back in? anyone else have this sort of issue ?

GFx Card - Radeon rx 480 nitro+ OC 8gb
monitor - AOC Agon AG271qx 1440p freeysnc

Associate
i have switched from Nvidia to AMD, i picked up a rx480 great card. also sorry if i am posting this in the wrong area.

Removed my old drivers etc with DDU but i still get a issue where games sort of flicker unless i tab out once they load and tab back in? anyone else have this sort of issue ?

GFx Card - Radeon rx 480 nitro+ OC 8gb
monitor - AOC Agon AG271qx 1440p freeysnc

I had similar issues with my Asus RX480 Dual OC, solved mine by changing the cable even though it worked perfectly fine with the 7970 i had in previously. The cable i'm now using come with a spare Now TV box, but with 1440p and FreeSync you may need a Vesa certified cable.

Back
Top Bottom