• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

In my testing, most XTXs will have coil whine so you'll just have to accept it. What you will find is that some are much worse than others. Try to cap or limit FPS, lower voltage and or power limit, that will help.

Funnily enough, the current XTX (TUF OC) I am currently using has the least coil whine of any XTX I've tried (well over 10), it almost has none. Almost.

If you've ever had a 4090 though it's not as bad as those. I've had a few (well over 10) and they all sound like various beard trimmers on full speed. :cry:

So the two tops cards have a reputation for bad whine? Is that because they push high FPS more?

Coil whine has been around for years. The big but is I don’t think I’ve ever seen it this bad before on these forums. I still think both camps could do a lot more to get rid of it.

I've just recently bought a 7900 XT Pulse after selling my 4090. As I'm running a SFF system, I like to undervolt to keep the temps in check. I can run my card at 1075 and it seems stable. Can certainly play games for hours without any crashes. Everything else I leave at stock.

I've just recently bought a 7900 XT Pulse after selling my 4090. As I'm running a SFF system, I like to undervolt to keep the temps in check. I can run my card at 1075 and it seems stable. Can certainly play games for hours without any crashes. Everything else I leave at stock.
Nice one. Why the switch back Mark? I know you were using an AMD GPU prior to the 4090.

What case are you rocking for the SFF system?

I moved my entire build to a mid tower at the end of last year and I'm getting the itch to go back to SFF... I miss my Ncase M1 a lot.

Nice one. Why the switch back Mark? I know you were using an AMD GPU prior to the 4090.
For the games I play, the 4090 was overkill. I fancied a switch from the 13700K to a 7800X3D. Selling the 13700K, mobo and 4090 allowed me to do that and still have money left over.
What case are you rocking for the SFF system?

I moved my entire build to a mid tower at the end of last year and I'm getting the itch to go back to SFF... I miss my Ncase M1 a lot.
I did fancy going back into the Meshlicious as I like the small footprint of the vertical cases but I gave that case to my daughter for a PC I built her so I just bought the Corsair 2000D. Not that SFF but still vertical and allows for a 360mm AIO for the CPU.

For the games I play, the 4090 was overkill. I fancied a switch from the 13700K to a 7800X3D. Selling the 13700K, mobo and 4090 allowed me to do that and still have money left over.
Same, the 4090 is a card for 4/5yrs easy and I switch too much for that. How have you found the switch to a 3D chip? I've half-thought about doing the same ([email protected] atm, DDR4) but the only half is wait til Zen 5 3D's.

Last edited:

I did fancy going back into the Meshlicious as I like the small footprint of the vertical cases but I gave that case to my daughter for a PC I built her so I just bought the Corsair 2000D. Not that SFF but still vertical and allows for a 360mm AIO for the CPU.

How have you found the XT drivers and RT? What res do you game at?

Same, the 4090 is a card for 4/5yrs easy and I switch too much for that. How have you found the switch to a 3D chip? I've half-thought about doing the same ([email protected] atm, DDR4) but the only half is wait til Zen 5 3D's.

Do you not expect the XT to last 4-5 years?

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm the same, a tinkerer and switch components way more than I should. But its a hobby right?!

Not had any issues other than the coil whine on the Asus B650E-I motherboard. System doesn't really get stressed too much playing Rust @ 1440p UW but I'm sure Starfield will when it comes along!

Yeah, I'm the same, a tinkerer and switch components way more than I should. But its a hobby right?!
Yeah that's the thing, this has given me absolutely no issues (Asus Z690 Strix D4) and I'm loath to switch from a fast stable system to something that's just a similar speed!

I'm gonna stick for now and hopefully make it last me another 18 months til the next 3D chips are out :)

Last edited:
Yeah that's the thing, this has given me absolutely no issues (Asus Z690 Strix D4) and I'm loath to switch from a fast stable system to something that's just a similar speed!

I'm gonna stick for now and hopefully make it last me another 18 months til the next 3D chips are out :)
Note to self, keep an eye out for Jedi selling in the MM :D

Back
Top Bottom