• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

It will work with two i used a daisy chain for a month or so with the same model. But if you have 3 i would definitely use them.
Thanks Henry .

Just looking at my cablesnow and i have 2x 8 pin to 8 pin pcie and one that is 8 pin that splits into 2x 8 pin ?

Am i using
8 pin to 8 pin
8pin to 8 pin
8 pin thats splits into 8 pin and leave one unplugged .

Or
8 pin to 8 pin
8 pin that splist onto 2x 8 pins .

or do i need a third 8 pin to 8 pin ?

Thanks Henry .

Just looking at my cablesnow and i have 2x 8 pin to 8 pin pcie and one that is 8 pin that splits into 2x 8 pin ?

Am i using
8 pin to 8 pin
8pin to 8 pin
8 pin thats splits into 8 pin and leave one unplugged .

Or
8 pin to 8 pin
8 pin that splist onto 2x 8 pins .

or do i need a third 8 pin to 8 pin ?

Im not 100% sure so I don’t want to say yes plug it in and something gets fried.

Hi, I bought the 7900 XTX Nitro+ a few days ago and coming from a Red Devil I'm pretty amazed by its cooling performance. The card also stays very quiet until the fans reach around 45 - 50% max speed. At this point a faint high pitched zooming sound starts to be audible only getting louder as the fan speed increases. I've never heard this particular sound on any of my previous cards when ramping up the fan speed and its pretty distracting. I'm almost certain its not coil whine from videos I've seen.
I'm not very knowledgeable regarding this so I've tried looking for video reviews of the card where they demonstrate fan noise to compare mine to but all I can seem to find are videos of people showing coil whine on their cards with the fans themselves being relatively quiet.
Are there other Nitro+ owners that could clear this up by perhaps sharing their experience with their cards fan noise? Because at this moment I'm not sure if the fans sound like this by design or something isn't working as its supposed to. I've added a video of my card where I increase the fan speed with jumps of 10%. I'd really appreciate if someone could compare that with their own card and tell me if I should be worried or if its normal like that.

Hi, I bought the 7900 XTX Nitro+ a few days ago and coming from a Red Devil I'm pretty amazed by its cooling performance. The card also stays very quiet until the fans reach around 45 - 50% max speed. At this point a faint high pitched zooming sound starts to be audible only getting louder as the fan speed increases. I've never heard this particular sound on any of my previous cards when ramping up the fan speed and its pretty distracting. I'm almost certain its not coil whine from videos I've seen.
I'm not very knowledgeable regarding this so I've tried looking for video reviews of the card where they demonstrate fan noise to compare mine to but all I can seem to find are videos of people showing coil whine on their cards with the fans themselves being relatively quiet.
Are there other Nitro+ owners that could clear this up by perhaps sharing their experience with their cards fan noise? Because at this moment I'm not sure if the fans sound like this by design or something isn't working as its supposed to. I've added a video of my card where I increase the fan speed with jumps of 10%. I'd really appreciate if someone could compare that with their own card and tell me if I should be worried or if its normal like that.

I think it's normal, the fans get noisy at full speed. Although I don't recall mine sounding quite that bad, however that could be due to the recording from your phone or something.

I think it's normal, the fans get noisy at full speed. Although I don't recall mine sounding quite that bad, however that could be due to the recording from your phone or something.
Yeah Im used to loud fans but the high pitch of this one seemed kinda off because i never heard that on a gpu before so I wanted to be sure everything was ok

pretty much lottery , everyones tolerance levels are different , I had coil whine on 3080fe which was very annoying sent it back the replacement was much better much lower coil whine mostly gets drowned out when fans start kicking in during gaming

I dont like the fact its such a lottery and someone else paying the exact same and has less of it doesnt seem fair, if its very bad its likely the replacement should be better

In my testing, most XTXs will have coil whine so you'll just have to accept it. What you will find is that some are much worse than others. Try to cap or limit FPS, lower voltage and or power limit, that will help.

Funnily enough, the current XTX (TUF OC) I am currently using has the least coil whine of any XTX I've tried (well over 10), it almost has none. Almost.

If you've ever had a 4090 though it's not as bad as those. I've had a few (well over 10) and they all sound like various beard trimmers on full speed. :cry:

If it’s that’s bad I would return it get another.
There’s not been too many coil whine reports on this thread. You may have been just unlucky.

Generally only an issue at higher FPS like over 100.

Coil whine has been around for years. The big but is I don’t think I’ve ever seen it this bad before on these forums. I still think both camps could do a lot more to get rid of it.

Thank you guys for responding, as well as many others.
I couldn't limit the frames because it would do it from 60/70fps upwards which is not ideal and would make the upgrade pointless. As a have a 144hz monitor it running at 60fps isn't ideal.
It would whine scrolling through Chrome and could hear it through the top of a Corsair Obsidian 900D. I've gone ahead and sent it back as part of the RMA, just waiting for an answer once they look at it and test it etc so I'll wait and see what happens :D

Thank you guys for responding, as well as many others.
I couldn't limit the frames because it would do it from 60/70fps upwards which is not ideal and would make the upgrade pointless. As a have a 144hz monitor it running at 60fps isn't ideal.
It would whine scrolling through Chrome and could hear it through the top of a Corsair Obsidian 900D. I've gone ahead and sent it back as part of the RMA, just waiting for an answer once they look at it and test it etc so I'll wait and see what happens :D
Before you send it back, try disabling hardware acceleration (in the browser) and see if that helps. :)

Last edited:
Coil whine is something all the high end cards have unfortunately.
Does yours do it too? Curious as I've heard this does help, but what PSU do you currently have?
I had a 7970 that had it but not like this. Then the 2080ti I upgraded to is silent, absolutely nothing. Now back on AMD it's doing it again :confused:

Does yours do it too? Curious as I've heard this does help, but what PSU do you currently have?
I had a 7970 that had it but not like this. Then the 2080ti I upgraded to is silent, absolutely nothing. Now back on AMD it's doing it again :confused:
I think I mentioned a few pages back I’ve tested over 10 4090s and 7900 XTXs and they all had similar levels of coil whine. The 4090/ were generally worse though tbf, probably due to the higher FPS. My current 7900 XTX TUF has the least coil whine out of any of them it’s almost got none. Almost.

I think I mentioned a few pages back I’ve tested over 10 4090s and 7900 XTXs and they all had similar levels of coil whine. The 4090/ were generally worse though tbf, probably due to the higher FPS. My current 7900 XTX TUF has the least coil whine out of any of them it’s almost got none. Almost.
Sorry, I might've missed it.
I'll see what they say once received and tested, and if possible to change to another manufacturer instead of the current one (PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX Hellhound Spectral).
Like mentioned before, seems to be hit and miss, I'll keep trying till I get something bearable.

Back
Top Bottom