• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

So rumours are likely true that a XT model will not be released, and instead a 7800 and 7700 will come in due time.

7900 XTX
7900 XT
7900 (GRE)
Just makes them look like they’re following NVidias footsteps, when they’re most likely trying to make an affordable option for everyone that wants an upgrade

What are people using to overclock or undervolt their cards? With my Vega56 I always used Wattman and never had any issues with it. I tried undervolting the XT lastnight. Set 1050mV and card would boost higher and all was good, seemed stable with no crashes in games or benchmarks. But when I turn on the PC I get a black screen as Windows starts to load so I thought maybe the undervolt was too much. I tried 1075mV but the same thing happens. I get a black screen at bootup when manual tuning is selected in Wattman, even if all settings are left at default values so I'm assuming Wattman is bugged for me or atleast with the 23.7.2 drivers. Not tried any earlier drivers yet.
Other people having issues with Wattman or know of a fix?
Update to this for anyone who cares.

Removing chipset drivers and reinstalling appears to have fixed this issue. My XT is currently undervolted at 1050mV, not tried any lower yet but I'm no longer getting a black screen at boot up when manual tuning is selected in Wattman :‐)

So rumours are likely true that a XT model will not be released, and instead a 7800 and 7700 will come in due time.

7900 XTX
7900 XT
7900 (GRE)

Just makes them look like they’re following NVidias footsteps, when they’re most likely trying to make an affordable option for everyone that wants an upgrade
Yeah, I just don't see why they felt the need to add what are essentially some random letters to the 7900 GRE version. It's just a 7900 (non XT or XTX). Might as well have added OMG, lolz or whatever.

Looks interesting, but seriously “Golden Rabbit Edition”? What was the marketing bod browsing before they came up with that name? :D
Well, it was announced at a presentation in China, so there has to be something to tide the Chinese over.

It's the Chinese year of the Rabbit this year (2023) so that's the rabbit connection. Of the Five Element theory that the Chinese also link to for each year, it gives them a different adjective, so a Fire would be Crimson or Fast, Water is Dark or Black, Wood is Green or Garden, Earth is Jade or Grey and Metal is White or Golden (and so on). Although 2023 is a "Water" Rabbit, the adjective of Dark or Black (or similar) is not seen is "fortunate" to the Chinese, so the Chinese or those marketing to Chinese automatically switch to "Golden" or something along those lines, something seen as more "lucky" so they don't get looks of disapproval from "higher ups".

So yeah, pretty sure they were browsing the "How to get the Chinese buyers attention" page there, and not... *ahem* "Other" pages... ;)

Just had my first crash since installing the 7900XT and I was only playing OSRS and watching Twitch, lmao.

"Display driver amdwddmg stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

Anyone ever had this before? Discord, Twitch and OSRS all crashed/black screened.

Just had my first crash since installing the 7900XT and I was only playing OSRS and watching Twitch, lmao.

"Display driver amdwddmg stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

Anyone ever had this before? Discord, Twitch and OSRS all crashed/black screened.
Nope use discord a lot. Have you updated your bios to latest. Updated your chipset drivers. Make sure windows is updated. Any RAM or cpu overclocks you have will need to be retested as a faster gpu will put more stress on your pc. I would also check your startup and remove any unnecessary programs.

Installed my 7900XT Pulse yesterday and have very noticeable coil whine :/
Running it with an Enermax Platimax 750W (and i5-6600K at stock with 16GB). Will have a go at undervolting to see if things improve.
I'm not sure what the policy is regarding coil wine if it's really really bad, maybe if you could post a video showing how bad the coil whine is, someone here could offer you better advice?

Last edited:
Running it with an Enermax Platimax 750W (and i5-6600K at stock with 16GB). Will have a go at undervolting to see if things improve.

Looks like you got unlucky with the silicon lottery. Perhaps return it?

Coil whine is a normal feature with any card. It could be a really annoying screamer then of course you can ask the manufacturer for RMA but this is hit and miss as they will see it as normal. You are not purchasing a 1 million pound supercomputer it’s a mass produced piece of tech with fairly low quality components for longevity/endurance/acoustics etc. I went through about 4X 3090 FEs before I accepted all of them whine.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the policy is regarding coil wine if it's really really bad, maybe if you could post a video showing how bad the coil whine is, someone here could offer you better advice?
Yeah, might need to try that. Also want to be 100% sure it's not the motherboard, or a mix of both. Odds are it's the GPU, but trying to pinpoint the source is difficult. Motherboard's a Maximus VIII Hero so reasonable quality, but it is from 2015 so getting a bit long in the tooth.

Back
Top Bottom