• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

Never buy the worst, never buy the best.

The only cards I would try and avoid completely are MSIs Ventus cards. They are horrid. Thankfully the quality of even the cheapest 7900 cards seem to be of decent quality with no major corners cut.

Sapphire make fantastic cards tbh. They are kinda like the EVGA of AMD.

I had heard complaints about MSI Ventus cards with the RTX3000 series.

Good to know, i would happily grab a Sapphire if it was an option. Powercolor seem to have, or had, a decent reputation however I’ve seen a few comments saying they dripped the ball this gen but it’s unclear why folk think that.

Last edited:
I had heard complaints about MSI Ventus cards with the RTX3000 series.

Good to know, i would happily grab a Sapphire if it was an option. Powercolor seem to have, or had, a decent reputation however I’ve seen a few comments saying they dripped the ball this gen but it’s unclear why folk think that.

Yeah some of them are clearly high. Like Asus for example. Their Strix cards are a joke. It's like they seem to think that spudging tons of money on a card that doesn't need it or is worth it would not appeal, but again it is about the epeen.

I feel sorry for the sod who paid RRP on the 6700XT Strix I got for £320 about 8 months ago. 'cause underneath it all? it's still a 6700XT. That said the 6800XT Strix I paid £700 for last October was never worth a bag of sand either !

Sapphire just seem to get it right every time tbh. They are down with the cheapest, but unlike any one else they don't skimp on quality to sell at that price. In fact, I compared them to EVGA when in all honesty even EVGA have released a few stinkers with big issues. I have never known Sapphire to make a bad card in all of the years they have been around.

They seem to have high hotspot temp issues this gen, which points to a sloppy cooler mount/production issues. Only one I've heard doesn't really have these issues atm is Sapphire but that's just off various forums/reddit.

I see, thanks for the context I’ll look into that a bit further. This is my downfall- i will spend far too long researching and the offer will be gone by the time I decide. Or the other half will find out and kybosh it :rolleyes:

Afternoon, not sure whether I'm not searching correct or it's just me.
I've noticed my card is always up to 100% utilised in games, I'm using amd overlay tk check and it always says 100% when playing occasionally goes to 99 or 99. Temps are up to 71 so not unreasonable but it's always so high is it always utilising every inch of it?? Thoughts?

Afternoon, not sure whether I'm not searching correct or it's just me.
I've noticed my card is always up to 100% utilised in games, I'm using amd overlay tk check and it always says 100% when playing occasionally goes to 99 or 99. Temps are up to 71 so not unreasonable but it's always so high is it always utilising every inch of it?? Thoughts?

Sounds like you have Vsync disabled or the game is very demanding, which is hard to tell as you haven't told us what game or what the FPS is.

In any case, 100% GPU isn't an issue.

Last edited:
I tested my aorus xtx last night after reading a post from another user here about his xtx nitro hotspot temp.

I Ran Time Spy and played a few demanding games, GPU temp max 58 to 65c but the hotspot temp 90c to 106c. I remember when I got the card back in Dec last year the delta was about 20~25c. The fan speed seems normal and no performance drop in games or benchmarks but the hotspot temp is worrying.

I tested my aorus xtx last night after reading a post from another user here about his xtx nitro hotspot temp.

I Ran Time Spy and played a few demanding games, GPU temp max 58 to 65c but the hotspot temp 90c to 106c. I remember when I got the card back in Dec last year the delta was about 20~25c. The fan speed seems normal and no performance drop in games or benchmarks but the hotspot temp is worrying.
Yeah that is a very significant difference. From what I’ve been reading repasting helps a lot but personally I would be wary of doing this to a card under warranty, not to mention you shouldn’t bloody have to.

Now I’m dithering and looking at a 4070ti but the 12gb really bothers me, as does the 192bit memory bus come to mention it. Decisions, decisions.

Last edited:
So it would seem there was an issue

Yeah that is a very significant difference. From what I’ve been reading repasting helps a lot but personally I would be wary of doing this to a card under warranty, not to mention you shouldn’t bloody have to.

Now I’m dithering and looking at a 4070ti but the 12gb really bothers me, as does the 192bit memory bus come to mention it. Decisions, decisions.
Repaste helps but have to wait for a few weeks for new paste to settle in order to see the final result. I did repaste 3090 FE before and the delta temp slowly increased every week after repasting.

I repasted with PTM7950 and my temps have only gotten *better* over time. 18C delta at worst. Max hotspot temp at 460w and 60% fan-speed now is around 78-84c depending on the game now. It's performing even better than the Thermalright TFX I replaced.
Quality stuff.

Can anyone who bought the 7900 XT Pulse tell me what max GPU hotspot temps they get while under load please?

I just put mine in a waterblock (The Alphacool one for the Nitro+ line fits fine with this by the way) and I am getting great GPU temps around 45-50C under load but hotspot is hitting 100C at stock speeds, 110C with +15% PL.

Stupidly I forgot to note down what I was getting with the stock cooler on so I'm not sure if this is normal or not - I suspect not but it's a real faff to undo the custom loop and re-seat/re-paste.

Can anyone who bought the 7900 XT Pulse tell me what max GPU hotspot temps they get while under load please?

I just put mine in a waterblock (The Alphacool one for the Nitro+ line fits fine with this by the way) and I am getting great GPU temps around 45-50C under load but hotspot is hitting 100C at stock speeds, 110C with +15% PL.

Stupidly I forgot to note down what I was getting with the stock cooler on so I'm not sure if this is normal or not - I suspect not but it's a real faff to undo the custom loop and re-seat/re-paste.
Iv'e just run unigen heaven bench mark for 20 minets with amd adrenalin juntion temp 75c gpu temp 62c fan speed at 42% my gpu power limit is set to -10 % hope this helps :p

That’s not right that delta is huge

Smells like a bad mount to me with possibly the block being at fault.

This is my TUF after an hour of CoD full-throttle oc'd for an example (LM'd)

image.png

Max temps on the right ofc.

Last edited:

here's my sapphire 7900xtx mba, using the ek amd special edition block, i would check your mount and make sure thermal paste is spread and making cntact with all of the die including the chiplets

UfcQmfL.png

just fired up cyberpunk at 4k, around 15mins in but temps dont really move much from above

Back
Top Bottom