• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

Soldato
Ah nice! I'm going to get a block for my 7900XTX shortly, I've got two Black Ice 360 rads. I'm sure they will be fine. My 1080 used to top out at 42ºC on them!

black ice rads are pretty much some of the best rads still to this day, i used to run them a lot back in the intel build days, decent fpi too so fan choice was much easier.
the 7900xtx on water is a animal, the boost clocks go nuts and hold with not much if any drop tbh :)

Soldato
black ice rads are pretty much some of the best rads still to this day, i used to run them a lot back in the intel build days, decent fpi too so fan choice was much easier.
the 7900xtx on water is a animal, the boost clocks go nuts and hold with not much if any drop tbh :)

Yeah they seemed a good choice when I bought them, impressed with them for their size :) Currently running Corsair Maglev fans which seem to perform quite nicely. I think I might get the block ordered this evening and get this thing under water :D

Man of Honour
I run a PG42UQ on a 60cm depth and think it's a *little* bit big, thinking of one of the new 32's that are coming but the 34" AW OLED also seems a better fit atm on an arm (little closer and also the better gaming screen).

Good to know, thanks. I had a sudden brainwave that if I buy a slim wall mount I can mount it to the wall and gain about another 10cm, plus desk space, so I’ll probably go down this route.

Is there a huge difference in the various 7900XTXs available?

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah they seemed a good choice when I bought them, impressed with them for their size :) Currently running Corsair Maglev fans which seem to perform quite nicely. I think I might get the block ordered this evening and get this thing under water :D

nice, with the 7900 series, take note with thermal paste application, because of the mcm design it can be a pain to get a spread right, you want to make 100% sure the core and the 6 smaller dies are completly covered, and when you install the block pay attention to the mounting, try not to tigthen down one first, a even pattern to insure good contact, otherwise the thermal application will sploge out and your hotspot temps will be mad high.

Last edited:
Soldato
nice, with the 7900 series, take note with thermal paste application, because of the mcm design it can be a pain to get a spread right, you want to make 100% sure the core and the 6 smaller dies are completly covered, and when you install the block pay attention to the mounting, try not to tigthen down one first, a even pattern to insure good contact, otherwise the thermal application will sploge out and your hotspot temps will be mad high.

Very helpful thank you :)

Caporegime
Is there a huge difference in the various 7900XTXs available?
Yes, certain ones like the AsRock and Red Devil's are notorious for having bad junction core temps. If I was buying today I'd go for either the Sapphire Pulse or the Nitro, both seem to have good mounts (and cooling) generally speaking.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yes, certain ones like the AsRock and Red Devil's are notorious for having bad junction core temps. If I was buying today I'd go for either the Sapphire Pulse or the Nitro, both seem to have good mounts (and cooling) generally speaking.

Good to know, appreciate your help.

Ordered the LG C3, 7900XTX and a wall mount. Time to get back into PC gaming I guess then :)

Last edited:
Associate
Not sure if it has been discussed on here or on other topics but I was wondering if the upcoming Nvidia Super releases in january will affect pricing of the 7900XTX, specifically the 4080 Super release as it should push out a lead over the 7900XTX im assuming.
I've been "making do" with my 1080ti for quite a while now but it's starting to hold me back significantly.
I have the Alienware AW3423DW QD-OLED screen which is G-Sync, and i'm not sure if I would be better to get a 4080 (super) or a 7900XTX.
Was hoping the prices would drop on the 7900XTX making it more tempting.
Currently running a 3700x on an X570 Taichai and had considered a 5800x3D upgrade, but I don't think it would make any difference with my 1080ti.
I have a corsair AX1200i PSU so powering an upgrade shouldn't be an issue.
Currently playing lots of DayZ, farming simulator 22, No Mans Sky, all of them bringing the 1080ti to its knees @ 3440x1440
Don't really want to spend more than £1k
What would you do?

Edit - Limited to 330mm GPU length

Last edited:
Associate
Not sure if it has been discussed on here or on other topics but I was wondering if the upcoming Nvidia Super releases in january will affect pricing of the 7900XTX, specifically the 4080 Super release as it should push out a lead over the 7900XTX im assuming.
I've been "making do" with my 1080ti for quite a while now but it's starting to hold me back significantly.
I have the Alienware AW3423DW QD-OLED screen which is G-Sync, and i'm not sure if I would be better to get a 4080 (super) or a 7900XTX.
Was hoping the prices would drop on the 7900XTX making it more tempting.
Currently running a 3700x on an X570 Taichai and had considered a 5800x3D upgrade, but I don't think it would make any difference with my 1080ti.
I have a corsair AX1200i PSU so powering an upgrade shouldn't be an issue.
Currently playing lots of DayZ, farming simulator 22, No Mans Sky, all of them bringing the 1080ti to its knees @ 3440x1440
Don't really want to spend more than £1k
What would you do?

Edit - Limited to 330mm GPU length
The 7900xtx has already dropped in price quite a bit so I’m not sure how much is left. Knowing Nvidia the 4080 Super will not be cheap.

Soldato
The 7900xtx has already dropped in price quite a bit so I’m not sure how much is left. Knowing Nvidia the 4080 Super will not be cheap.

i have a suspision the super will drop in around £1200 and the 4080 will get a price cut to around £1000-1050, also there arnt many nvidia cards in the 330mm range, only the asus pro art versions look to be sensable sizes, the sapphire pulse 7900xtx would be my choice, at £959 at ocuk and coming in around 313mm in length, it will be a fine addition, especally if you go for the 5800x cpu upgrade.

Last edited:
Soldato
Given how little time there is until CES now, it has got to be worth the few weeks wait to see how things shuffle (unless you get a blinding deal second hand). If the 4080 does drop to £1000, there will likely be some further market shuffling.

More value for the money is never a bad thing, as everyone has to respond, look at the 7700/7800XT knocking money off the 4060TI and 4070 almost immediately.

Soldato

That's pretty much again advise for mounting any cooler
My 7900XT with Alphacool block tends to hit max core temps of around 40-45 and hot spot ~60. That's with 2 HWLabs GTS 360 rad, 1 XSPC RX360 rad and cheapo Deep Cool fans at 800rpm.

Man of Honour
What 750w PSU were you using? I was planning to use a 750w with the 7900XTX I've just ordered :(

A crappy Gigabyte PSU that was a quick fix for a previous issue anyway. I’m at least assuming it was the PSU, it felt like a PSU issue. FPS was holding at cap, power draw increased with both then falling and the system restarting.

Last edited:
Soldato
Makes sense, the Intel chips are far more power hungry than the AMD, so I can see a rather efficient 5800X3D getting by, whilst a more power hungry 9700K would push it over the limit. 9700K can use around 120-150W from memory, whilst the 5800X3D typically uses 85W or less.

My 10700K could consumer over 200W, so I don't doubt the 9700K was similar, given how similar the 9700K, 9900K and 10700K were, whereas the 5800X3D sips power by comparison, and that difference could easily trip a PSU, especially as the Superflowers are overbuilt typically, whilst the Gigabytes not so much!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom