• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

Soldato
I may eventually upgrade to a more pokey PSU, looking at SF750 reviews it's good for 850w spikes - my CPU is very unlikely to spike to any more than 100w so feel confident.

No mechanical drives, just M.2 NVME, and no additional lighting should help keep power draw in check too.

Last edited:
Associate
I may eventually upgrade to a more pokey PSU, looking at SF750 reviews it's good for 850w spikes - my CPU is very unlikely to spike to any more than 100w so feel confident.

No mechanical drives, just M.2 NVME, and no additional lighting should help keep power draw in check too.
Yeah give it a go and see what happens.

Associate
20231229-132525.jpg

I am a little late to the game, but it's better late than never. I am super happy with this purchase and the performance compared to my previous 680Ti is night and day!

Last edited:
Soldato
20231229-132525.jpg

I am a little late to the game, but it's better late than never. I am super happy with this purchase and the performance compared to my previous 680Ti is night and day!
Small headsup, try and move the radiator from the bottom to the side. The way you have it setup now, the pump is the highest part of the loop, and that actually means air will collect in the pump and over time can damage the pump, and impact the cooling, or plain stop working. You always want the top of the rad/part of the loop to be above the pump.

Doesn't matter if the pipes out the radiator are at the top or the bottom (bottom is technically best), as long as part of it is above the pump so air collects there instead.

It'll probably improve the temps in your GPU slightly as well, assuming you're running bottom as intake.

Last edited:
Soldato
The new PSU has solved my problem. Working like a charm now. Downloading BG3 :)
Glad to hear, I generally have a very soft spot for Gigabyte as they've been good to me over the years and the RMA centre has treated me well (not sure if it's still based in MK like it used to be!); their PSUs unfortunately however are the weakspot in what has traditionally been a good line up.

Associate
Small headsup, try and move the radiator from the bottom to the side. The way you have it setup now, the pump is the highest part of the loop, and that actually means air will collect in the pump and over time can damage the pump, and impact the cooling, or plain stop working. You always want the top of the rad/part of the loop to be above the pump.

Doesn't matter if the pipes out the radiator are at the top or the bottom (bottom is technically best), as long as part of it is above the pump so air collects there instead.

It'll probably improve the temps in your GPU slightly as well, assuming you're running bottom as intake.
Thanks buddy, I did some research before setting it up that way. I built the pc inside the Lian Li Vision, so my only choice is to side mount a 360 to the side or the rare using a 240 AIO. Then it's what you said about the orientation of the pump/radiator. The highest point of the rad is action higher than the pump, so should permeation occur overtime, the air pocket will be trapped at the top of the rad and it won't get pushed back into the pump.

20231229-150601.jpg

Soldato
Great, as long as your rad is side mounted that's great. From your picture it LOOKED like the rad might be bottom mounted, and didn't want you to get caught out.
Your rig overall is very similar to my wife's new build and the Phanteks NV5 she has is definately a Lian-Li 'inspired' design, cousins! :D
Hers (Adlink and MX500 lifted from the old build):

7800x3D /w Artic Liquid Cooler ARGB 360MM
Gigabyte B650 Gaming X AX
64GB Corsair Dominators 6000 CL30 (32GB x2 DIMM Kit)
2TB Corsair P5+ (OS)
4TB WD SN850
2TB Adlink S70
4TB Crucial MX500 SATA
Sapphire 7900XT Nitro+
4x Phanteks D30 RGB Fans in Phanteks NV5 Case
Corsair RMe1000W PSU

I'm NOT a big RGB guy, but once I'd got the RGB playing nice (either one of the Phanteks case cables, or the mobo's second RGB header is kaput) the entire thing looks excellent, and the strobe across everything is almost perfectly synchronised (which is great as it isn't lol). She loves it as it really is a lot of RGB lol and glass all around the side and front.

It's a beast, actually surprisingly quiet even under full load, and even with a graphics card upgrade a generation or two down the line, I think the system as a whole should be good for a number of years now! There should be newer AM5 options coming also if she wants more CPU headroom for anything later on.

She is NOT missing her old 10700k/3080 rig.

Last edited:
Associate
Great, as long as your rad is side mounted that's great. From your picture it LOOKED like the rad might be bottom mounted, and didn't want you to get caught out.
Your rig overall is very similar to my wife's new build and the Phanteks NV5 she has is definately a Lian-Li 'inspired' design! :)
I did wonder in the beginning about the which way the tubes should go, but I watched several YouTube videos and checked the EK manual and ultimately ended up installing it this way. The high point of the radiator should be at a higher point when side mounted so when the air pocket develops, it will not travel back up, down the tube and back into the pump. This is the second best configuration. The best configuration was not an option for me, because my top panel is glass. I originally wanted the Lian Li Evo RGB, but I couldn't wait anymore so I ended up with what I have now. Your wife must be super chuffed with the pc! :D

Soldato
I did wonder in the beginning about the which way the tubes should go, but I watched several YouTube videos and checked the EK manual and ultimately ended up installing it this way. The high point of the radiator should be at a higher point when side mounted so when the air pocket develops, it will not travel back up, down the tube and back into the pump. This is the second best configuration. The best configuration was not an option for me, because my top panel is glass. I originally wanted the Lian Li Evo RGB, but I couldn't wait anymore so I ended up with what I have now. Your wife must be super chuffed with the pc! :D

I saw some videos in the past which mentioned side/front mounted rad is actually better for overall case ambient temps and GPU temps than top mounted rad intake/outake, and CPU temps tend to be lower than using top mounted exhaust, although it'll depend on case/airflow directions and a whole host of things, so you've not done wrong going for side over top mount, even if your case did allow it!

And oh she is! She has commented on how fast and quiet the new build is; and that it's a much bigger upgrade than she had anticipated. She also hadn't initially appreciated I'd managed to get her pretty much top of the line gaming performance under the £2k mark so she was happier when she realised that too hehe
Given she isn't the sort to upgrade for no reason, unless something's not running right etc, the fact she has commented on there being improvements and the machine runs really nicely, that is about as high praise as I'm going to get. It just WORKS. She even had raytracing on in some games by accident (as she just switched everything up) and it was still running better than the old 3080, which is great.

She has a 3840x1600 160Hz screen too, so she can put the additional horsepower to great use.

It's definately faster than mine too, but she was in need of an upgrade more than me!
I used to have a 10700K rig as well, and this 12400 I've got now, thanks to the 5GHz all core OC, actually manages to beat it by around 20-25% in single core IPC/performance, the 10700K with all its extra cores and threads is actually being matched in multithread by this 12400; her new rig is a step up again in every way from what I've got lol, I'll maybe get one next BF hahah

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Turning down the ‘recommended’ desktop scaling from 300% has certainly improved my desktop experience.

New GPU is running well and I’m liking the AMD app, much more so than Nvidias offering actually.

Permabanned
Yup, I’m sure a good 750W would be fine, mine was downgraded for the second revision to about 105% over power to stop it exploding :p.

At least I’m hoping the PSU is the issue. It did look like as the power draw peaked (it was about 400w reported on the overlay) it quickly dropped and then the PC restarted. Will report back tomorrow.
you see i'm not the one who thinks as long as it works fine ... if it does go boom .. whats it going to take with it ? board gpu ?? all of it .. yes there are fuses but would take an rma to fix ..

Associate
you see i'm not the one who thinks as long as it works fine ... if it does go boom .. whats it going to take with it ? board gpu ?? all of it .. yes there are fuses but would take an rma to fix ..
It won’t go boom it will simply turn itself off very quickly. Unlike the old days.

Back
Top Bottom