• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

Associate
Oh what the hell...

My RX 7900 XT was hitting 90 degrees Celsius (hotspot) with the side of my ATX case on, in games like the Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 (I've been testing these games with frame generation mods). That's with a limit of -8% on clock frequency.

Then I took the side panel of the case off and the hotspot is maxing out at around 77 Celsius, I can feel a lot of of heat coming out the side from the GPU itself (much less from the CPU cooler). With the side left on, it's hot to the touch under full load.

So, I can either run like this, or try to find a better solution.

To get a similar result to running with the side panel off, would I need to invest in an expensive case?

What case do you and how many fans do you have for intake vs exhaust.

Soldato
Oh what the hell...

My RX 7900 XT was hitting 90 degrees Celsius (hotspot) with the side of my ATX case on, in games like the Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 (I've been testing these games with frame generation mods). That's with a limit of -8% on clock frequency.

Then I took the side panel of the case off and the hotspot is maxing out at around 77 Celsius, I can feel a lot of of heat coming out the side from the GPU itself (much less from the CPU cooler). With the side left on, it's hot to the touch under full load.

To get a similar result to running with the side panel off, would I need to invest in an expensive case?

I've never seen mine go over around 75 degrees. I do have the mesh side Fractal North though and fairly aggressive intake fans at the front when temps rise which is likely forcing a lot of the warmer air out and preventing and stagnant warm air.

I got bored of glass panels, had them on cases for years, absolutely love the mesh side tbh.

Very likely you need to get some custom fan curves setup using something like fancontrol. I doubt you need to change case.

Last edited:
Associate
Oh what the hell...

My suggestion roof fans at the back of your case extracting air. Clearly have a heat build up in your case. Let us know how you get on.

Soldato
I've been using my brother's old PC case, it's been mostly OK, except for this.

The Sapphire card has been in use since June 2023, so it's not old. It's performed well but previously I have only seen it get near to 90 under extreme conditions (like ray tracing options at max, which I never do normally). Pic here:

The card can consume between 300-350w under full load depending on power config, but I've always ran it at default.

I think I set the case fans (1 on the back and 1 on the front) to run at a moderate RPM, something like 1,000 to 1,100, to keep the noise at a comfortable level, but I think they can speed up more under load, will check this.

I'm fairly sure the air is going in the right direction, but it has no where to go except into the side panel, hence the heat build up.

My brother has just bought a RX 7800 XT and seems to not have these kind of problems, it seems like cooling 300w is quite a step up.

Last edited:
Soldato
There's also designs like this, with all around mesh panels that seems like a sensible design (for airflow), and I wonder why it hasn't caught on:

1690376929336178.jpg

Nearly all the current ATX designs have tempered glass side panels, often with a metal mesh on the front.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've never seen mine go over around 75 degrees. I do have the mesh side Fractal North though and fairly aggressive intake fans at the front when temps rise which is likely forcing a lot of the warmer air out and preventing and stagnant warm air.

I got bored of glass panels, had them on cases for years, absolutely love the mesh side tbh.

Very likely you need to get some custom fan curves setup using something like fancontrol. I doubt you need to change case.
not far of you, fractel design torreet in super quiet mode (300RPM fans) sapphire 7900xtx 80-85C hotspot with 7900xtx in ultra-quiet mode

Associate
I've been using my brother's old PC case, it's been mostly OK, except for this.

The Sapphire card has been in use since June 2023, so it's not old. It's performed well but previously I have only seen it get near to 90 under extreme conditions (like ray tracing options at max, which I never do normally). Pic here:

The card can consume between 300-350w under full load depending on power config, but I've always ran it at default.

I think I set the case fans (1 on the back and 1 on the front) to run at a moderate RPM, something like 1,000 to 1,100, to keep the noise at a comfortable level, but I think they can speed up more under load, will check this.

I'm fairly sure the air is going in the right direction, but it has no where to go except into the side panel, hence the heat build up.

My brother has just bought a RX 7800 XT and seems to not have these kind of problems, it seems like cooling 300w is quite a step up.

The AMD reference cards do run hot due to the design, you can try playing about with the fan curve within the AMD software as well increasing the two case fans you have. But your best solution is a better case with more fans and adjust the airflow too keep the noise at a comfortable level. My case is a Bequiet 601 with 3 fans in the front, 3 in the roof and one rear and I am air cooling the CPU as well.

Soldato
The AMD reference cards do run hot due to the design, you can try playing about with the fan curve within the AMD software as well increasing the two case fans you have. But your best solution is a better case with more fans and adjust the airflow too keep the noise at a comfortable level. My case is a Bequiet 601 with 3 fans in the front, 3 in the roof and one rear and I am air cooling the CPU as well.
Bought a Phanteks P600S last year its been a huge turnaround in terms of design and cooling 3 fans at the top (arctic cooler) and 3 in the front, one at the back no longer have any issues with heat or noise with the XTX either as things never get hot enough to ramp up the fan speed. They're all controlled via the BIOS which adjusts the speed automatically theres a 3 fan header pickup and a sensor lead that plugs into the motherboard SYS fan socket. The 3090 I used to have roasted the old case.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Was my thoughts so thanks for confirming.

I am too on a 3090FE. The only cards worth it are the 4080/90 and the XTX. However the latter isn't a huge leap but would be considered if I had your cpu where you could squeeze a few more fps using the SAM feature together. For me it would have to be way below £900 which I cant see happening until near the launch of next gen when you will likely see some "offers" but its too little too late in the cycle for that now. Hopefully the 5070 will actually be an upgrade unlike the 4070 that was mentioned to be the unit! :)

Back
Top Bottom