• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

Man of Honour
So I’m new to frame generation and fsr. Should I have them on? Avatar seems to have defaulted to FSR and some associated quality setting. X4 seemed to start with it off.

Soldato
So I’m new to frame generation and fsr. Should I have them on? Avatar seems to have defaulted to FSR and some associated quality setting. X4 seemed to start with it off.
I would try play with both off, Then turn FG on replay. see how you go as last resort turn FSR ON if you want Qaulity

been using AMD FG this week, & with No FSR i can now max out lot of games with no upscaling & some running 25% more than natove res

eg RDR2 ultra - 1600P UW 165FPS no FSR!, no FG is like 60..

Last edited:
Soldato
Got the upgrade itch again, but not sure I'd see much improvement (for the £) over my current setup, 5700X -20 CO / 16Gb 3600/16. Using Cyberpunk 2077 Ultra no RT or FSR etc. @ 1440p I get the following, anyone got a 7900XTX with say a 7800X3D with a similar benchmark run to see what the uptick might be?

I set ingame settings to Ultra and only turned off FSR hence the custom preset.

Just to be clear, the upgrade isn't for Cyberpunk, it's just what I have installed currently to use as an easy gaming benchmark :)

7PVYynRh.png

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Still have a tiny bit of headroom in my i7 9700k at 4k. I know I’ll be losing a bit and I can see in Avatar that it’s using about 60-80% of the cpu, but it should keep me going a little longer, at least until I’m willing to spend another grand. I guess the real test will be the Universim end of this month that could well bog down later in the game. Either way, I’m pleased to be back with AMD, great card, much improved software than when I was last with them. Money well spent. Glad I went for the XTX. Not sure I’ll touch my consoles for a while :p

Suspended
Don't really want to spend more than £1k
What would you do?
Probably get a 4070 or 7800XT as they will be a solid upgrade over a 1080ti then flip it for a higher end card when the new generation releases, pointless buying a 1k gpu halfway through the generation as it will be outperformed by a card at half the cost come the start of next year and will lose over half its resale value whereas a 7800XT / 4070 would only be losing £150 of what you paid for them.

Last edited:
Associate
Probably get a 4070 or 7800XT as they will be a solid upgrade over a 1080ti then flip it for a higher end card when the new generation releases, pointless buying a 1k gpu halfway through the generation as it will be outperformed by a card at half the cost come the start of next year and will lose over half its resale value whereas a 7800XT / 4070 would only be losing £150 of what you paid for them.
Thanks for the input. I have been playing the waiting game for quite a while and waiting another year doesn't seem like an option anymore. I did look at the 7800XT when a friend got a 6800XT and seems to be much smoother in the same games as me, but as usual I end up thinking "but for £200 more, or for £300 more" etc etc. 4070 never been on my radar due to poor reviews on release, but if the new 4070 Super is as big of a jump as the leaks suggest, that might bring it back into consideration depending on price.

Soldato
Oh what the hell...

My RX 7900 XT was hitting 90 degrees Celsius (hotspot) with the side of my ATX case on, in games like the Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 (I've been testing these games with frame generation mods). That's with a limit of -8% on clock frequency.

Then I took the side panel of the case off and the hotspot is maxing out at around 77 Celsius, I can feel a lot of heat coming out the side from the GPU itself (much less from the CPU cooler). With the side left on, it's hot to the touch under full load.

So, I can either run like this, or try to find a better solution.

To get a similar result to running with the side panel off, would I need to invest in an expensive case?

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh what the hell...

My RX 7900 XT was hitting 90 degrees Celsius (hotspot) with the side of my ATX case on, in games like the Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 (I've been testing these games with frame generation mods). That's with a limit of -8% on clock frequency.

Then I took the side panel of the case off and the hotspot is maxing out at around 77 Celsius, I can feel a lot of of heat coming out the side from the GPU itself (much less from the CPU cooler). With the side left on, it's hot to the touch under full load.

To get a similar result to running with the side panel off, would I need to invest in an expensive case?

What case do you have currently? You need to improve the airflow in your case if possible or get a case with better airflow :)

Associate
Oh what the hell...

Then I took the side panel of the case off and the hotspot is maxing out at around 77 Celsius, I can feel a lot of of heat coming out the side from the GPU itself (much less from the CPU cooler). With the side left on, it's hot to the touch under full load.

How long have you had the card has it just started to run very hot now?

Permabanned
Oh what the hell...

turn your case fans up ... or get a bigger case .. simples

Back
Top Bottom