• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

I'm still not sure which way to go - I appreciate shear performance of amd, but features and better power consumption is a plus for nvidia.

Does anyone know how much Nitro+ is pulling in idle and at full blast? Electricity is bloody crazy expensive and nvidia may be cheaper in the long run.

I'm still not sure which way to go - I appreciate shear performance of amd, but features and better power consumption is a plus for nvidia.

Does anyone know how much Nitro+ is pulling in idle and at full blast? Electricity is bloody crazy expensive and nvidia may be cheaper in the long run.
At worst my nitro pulls 440watts. Minimum mine pulls with two monitors is 30watts.

if you look a nvidia and amd .. the difference in the price of electric is pence a month depending on use a 100-150w ??

Has anyone experienced issues with their 7900xt (sapphire pulse) occasionally dropping back to the desktop during a game? Also i get a black screen for a couple of seconds after closing a game.

To be fair it’s a sample of one (World of Tanks) but it is quite irritating.

Also on a couple of occasions recently the fans on the card started to go full pelt. When i went into adrenaline i had to set the profile to quiet again to resolve that.

I set a 165hz limit in adrenaline to match my monitor and, after a quick google search, set windows to 60hz.

The game drop outs are most annoying and i was starting to wonder if i was hitting alt-tab in error but i have never had the issue before so I’m almost positive it isn’t me. Although this issue has me questioning my own sanity at this point.

Anyone able to help?

For reference my specs are: 5600x, Corsair RM650x PSU, 2tb nvme drive and an MSI mobo (can’t recall the exact model- some ridiculous name like mag mortar/bazooka etc).

I've have that card, don't think I've had that issue.

What have you Googled to set up your refresh rates like that? The only similar thing I've had is black screens with Assetto Corsa, that was resolution/refresh rate related. Running at the same res and refresh rate as windows as in game sorted that out. They were different before.

Has anyone experienced issues with their 7900xt (sapphire pulse) occasionally dropping back to the desktop during a game? Also i get a black screen for a couple of seconds after closing a game.

Also on a couple of occasions recently the fans on the card started to go full pelt. When i went into adrenaline i had to set the profile to quiet again to resolve that.

I set a 165hz limit in adrenaline to match my monitor and, after a quick google search, set windows to 60hz.

The game drop outs are most annoying and i was starting to wonder if i was hitting alt-tab in error but i have never had the issue before so I’m almost positive it isn’t me. Although this issue has me questioning my own sanity at this point.

Anyone able to help?

For reference my specs are: 5600x, Corsair RM650x PSU, 2tb nvme drive and an MSI mobo (can’t recall the exact model- some ridiculous name like mag mortar/bazooka etc).
When you say drop to desktop. Do you mean crash to desktop or your game is minimised and you simply go back in. I had drop to desktop with world of warships and in the end I had to disable all of the game overlays as something was trying to take control.

Anyone able to help?

one thing to consider rm650x is probably a push for a 7900xt & 5600x, rm series are not exactly "great psus"there good but not great. (one thing to consider)

Last edited:
one thing to consider rm650x is probably a push for a 7900xt & 5600x, rm series are not exactly "great psus"there good but not great. (one thing to consider)

It reviewed pretty well, although i had considered a potential PSU issue and can’t rule that out - despite doing several checks on the potential power draw before buying the GPU. I know there are better PSUs but it’s by no means a cheap unit.

Thinking on it I’m not sure i had these issues prior to setting frame rate limits. If anything the gpu should be using less power now as it would generally push well north of 200fps in WoT whereas now it’s capped to 165.

I’ll have another look at the frame rate caps etc but will also keep an eye on the PSU side.

Thanks for the advice :D

Last edited:
When you say drop to desktop. Do you mean crash to desktop or your game is minimised and you simply go back in. I had drop to desktop with world of warships and in the end I had to disable all of the game overlays as something was trying to take control.

No the game is still running so i can just go back in. By game overlays do you mean adrenaline specifically or something else?

Anyone able to help?

Have you got another monitor you can try it with? I've got the same GPU but never had either of those issues (fans going full pelt or dropping to desktop). What are the temps of the card if it's going full beans? I genuinely don't think I've ever heard the fans outside of the Cyberpunk benchmark.

Anyone able to help?

Which GPU did you have before the 7900xt? If it was Nvidia, do a fresh windows install. Even if it was an AMD card and the OS is not a fresh there's a very good chance that's your issue.

Have you got another monitor you can try it with? I've got the same GPU but never had either of those issues (fans going full pelt or dropping to desktop). What are the temps of the card if it's going full beans? I genuinely don't think I've ever heard the fans outside of the Cyberpunk benchmark.
I have an old dell 1080p monitor but that is DVI, however i think i have a dvi to hdmi dongle. My current monitor is the alienware 34 inch oled ultrawide (model ends in DWF).

Temps im not sure of as I tend to just drop everything to stop it sounding like a vaccum cleaner. However i do check them using argus monitor fairly regularly and they generally hover in the 60s while gaming. I’ll make a point of checking if/when it happens again though.
Which GPU did you have before the 7900xt? If it was Nvidia, do a fresh windows install. Even if it was an AMD card and the OS is not a fresh there's a very good chance that's your issue.

It was a 3070 and used ddu or whatever it’s called before installing amd drivers. To be fair this is a recent thing, the GPU was running without issue for a couple of months before this started.

Last edited:
I have an old dell 1080p monitor but that is DVI, however i think i have a dvi to hdmi dongle. My current monitor is the alienware 34 inch oled ultrawide (model ends in DWF).

Temps im not sure of as I tend to just drop everything to stop it sounding like a vaccum cleaner. However i do check them using argus monitor fairly regularly and they generally hover in the 60s while gaming. I’ll make a point of checking if/when it happens again though.

It was a 3070 and used ddu or whatever it’s called before installing amd drivers. To be fair this is a recent thing, the GPU was running without issue for a couple of months before this started.
Try a fresh install. I had the same issues with a friend just a few weeks ago. Vega 64, didn't change the OS and used DDU, same types of odd stuff. Fresh OS and issue free.

Back
Top Bottom