• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

Nope, nothing showing a driver crash. Checked the event log and there's nothing related either. I've already disabled windows fast boot when I was doing my 'try everything to find a fix' attempts...

It's a proper peculiar one because I've just booted my PC now to have another look and this time the 'default' profile is applied and things are working fine!
Looks like you have two options. 1. Reinstall windows. 2. Call an exorcist :D

Last edited:
Alright, appreciate this is turning into a monologue of my fan curve issues but it looks like I'm not alone and it's tied to 'FanControl'. It looks like there's a bit of chat on GitHub issues page that is essentially exactly what I'm experiencing (https://github.com/Rem0o/FanControl.Releases/issues/2652) and it's now even more obvious when I 'trigger' it to happen.

Lovely video to demo this, you can see as soon as I launch FanControl it triggers the manual tuning custom fan curve.

I think I'll try to completely remove any link between FanControl and Adrenalin and see how that plays out!

@t2na if you post in the driver thread tagging AMD_Vik might be able to help.
To be fair I don't think it's an AMD query, it definitely seems like it's the way FanControl is interacting with the AMD gpu. It's never been an issue since owning the 7900XT (which I've had for over a year now) and I've always used FanControl, it just seems that with the latest FanControl update they're supporting the AMD sensor/sources.

I've disabled it now and everything is playing nice!

MyMxMzX.png

To be fair I don't think it's an AMD query, it definitely seems like it's the way FanControl is interacting with the AMD gpu. It's never been an issue since owning the 7900XT (which I've had for over a year now) and I've always used FanControl, it just seems that with the latest FanControl update they're supporting the AMD sensor/sources.

I've disabled it now and everything is playing nice!

MyMxMzX.png
You learn something new every day.

Funnily enough I had this exact issue. I only found out about FanControl recently, so thought I'd give it a go. But every time I booted a game my 7900 XT would ramp up to 100%, tried different curves, settings etc but couldn't stop it happening. But I was also having issues on the latest Adrenaline driver, would get freezes, driver crashes, black screens and some instability, so was unsure if it was FC or the AMD driver.

So uninstalled FanControl in the end, but also installed the latest Adrenaline preview driver (also to test AFMF 2) and all been well so far.

Might have to give FanControl another go though, if it's that setting that was causing the issue.

I'm having an issue and I'm wondering if anyone else has the same issue or a solution?
So I've got the Sapphire 7900XT Pulse and one of the reasons I got it was that it has 2 HDMI ports rather than the usual 1. However the issue I'm getting is that I can't seem to use both at the same time. Individually they both work but when using them both it does not. It's been a while since I tried it so I can't remember if only 1 monitor works or if they both don't.

Any one else had this and found a solution?

I'm having an issue and I'm wondering if anyone else has the same issue or a solution?
So I've got the Sapphire 7900XT Pulse and one of the reasons I got it was that it has 2 HDMI ports rather than the usual 1. However the issue I'm getting is that I can't seem to use both at the same time. Individually they both work but when using them both it does not. It's been a while since I tried it so I can't remember if only 1 monitor works or if they both don't.

My Nitro has only one hdmi. However I have used two display port ports at the same time with no problem. Does windows not see both ports plugged in.

Just realised I post this in the thread before, sorry about that forgot (only found it when doing a Google search): here

Just looking online and there are a few others who have mentioned the same issue. What refresh rate/resolution are you trying to connect the two HDMI ports to?

A few have said it hasn't got the throughput to support high res/high refresh via HDMI - but 4k 144hz and 1440p 60hz worked fine.

Just looking online and there are a few others who have mentioned the same issue. What refresh rate/resolution are you trying to connect the two HDMI ports to?

A few have said it hasn't got the throughput to support high res/high refresh via HDMI - but 4k 144hz and 1440p 60hz worked fine.
I think last time I tried it was 2 x 4K@144hz.
I was actually wondering if it might be the resolutions and refresh rates were too high and that the 2 ports were somehow sharing bandwidth (had a similar issue with a work laptop).

I think last time I tried it was 2 x 4K@144hz.
I was actually wondering if it might be the resolutions and refresh rates were too high and that the 2 ports were somehow sharing bandwidth (had a similar issue with a work laptop).
Had a quick chance to check this morning as I've got the same GPU as you but I don't have any high res/high refresh monitors to check on.

Tested using 1440p360hz and 1080p120hz monitors and both worked fine at the same time via HDMI but I haven't got anything higher res (our TV in the lounge is 4k60) so can't check if it's related to the the higher res / bandwidth.

1440p360hz seems to require a similar amount of bandwidth as 4k @ 144hz (35Gbps vs 36Gbps) - but I don't have two of those monitors to check whether it's related to that.

HDMI 2.1 can support 48Gbps of bandwidth can't it? If they potentially are sharing then that'll be the issue, are you able to lower the res/refresh on one of the monitors to see if that helps? Is using DisplayPort completely out of the question?

Had a quick chance to check this morning as I've got the same GPU as you but I don't have any high res/high refresh monitors to check on.

Tested using 1440p360hz and 1080p120hz monitors and both worked fine at the same time via HDMI but I haven't got anything higher res (our TV in the lounge is 4k60) so can't check if it's related to the the higher res / bandwidth.

1440p360hz seems to require a similar amount of bandwidth as 4k @ 144hz (35Gbps vs 36Gbps) - but I don't have two of those monitors to check whether it's related to that.

HDMI 2.1 can support 48Gbps of bandwidth can't it? If they potentially are sharing then that'll be the issue, are you able to lower the res/refresh on one of the monitors to see if that helps? Is using DisplayPort completely out of the question?
No, I'm using the display port at the minute. It's not a huge deal, but it was annoying as it was a very small part of the reason I got that card over the others. I have multiple PCs connected to the monitors and wanted to do one that was 2 x DP and one that was 2 x HDMI (to keep things the same on both), but I've had to go DP + HDMI on one and HDMI + DP on the other. I think there are slight differences in the signal or at least how Windows see the display based on the connection type.

Anyone water cooling their MBA 7900XT? And is it worth it? Sorry but I can't get the search function to work and don't fancy reading 234 pages
Thanks
Scott

I just did a TIM swap from the stock thermal compound on my 7900XTX Nitro+ to 1 of those Honeywell PTM7950 thermal pads, Lowered temps by 8'c.

Did a lot of before and after tests and 8'c is correct. Guessing it does a better job levelling out the minute height differences between the chiplets than what appeared to be pretty bog standard thermal paste.

Well worth the money.

I just did a TIM swap from the stock thermal compound on my 7900XTX Nitro+ to 1 of those Honeywell PTM7950 thermal pads, Lowered temps by 8'c.

Did a lot of before and after tests and 8'c is correct. Guessing it does a better job levelling out the minute height differences between the chiplets than what appeared to be pretty bog standard thermal paste.

Well worth the money.

Did you use new thermal pads for the mem/vrm etc? or leave the old ones on?

Back
Top Bottom