• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

The top SMD wasnt damaged at all, I did however take it off to measure it in order to find a suitable replacement. Also because your picture shows the bottom smd pushing up against it I wanted to measure out the line and make sure it looked good, hence the scraped test point above it to allow me to take some measurements. Pretty slammed day today work wise but once I finish up ill throw it in my spare machine and see what she does.

Ah i see, I'm sure the card will be fine, nothing else was a worry, when it was blocked it ran stupid cool and clocked to high heaven, back on the air cooler core and vram temps are gonna be hot :(, but within design limits (hopefully) XD, Anyhow when tested and your happy drop me a pm to discuss further details :)

Very much appreciate the help Vince!

Slightly odd one but hoping someone can offer some help/guidance.

It's a recent issue (only noticed in the last 10 days or so) but my 7900XT fans have started going absolutely hell for leather whenever I launch a game. Fans are at 2300+ RPM - but the temps are cool. It's at 99% utilisation and sitting at 53 deg because the fans are working overtime.

When I look in Adrenalin, under tuning it looks like it's applying a manual custom tuning and that's where it's coming from. If I change it to default (which is what I typically have had it always set to) everything goes back to normal.

I've re-installed drivers, not sure what else I'm missing here.

It's a Sapphire Pulse 7900XT, not had any issues or anything until now so it's a little peculiar.

Slightly odd one but hoping someone can offer some help/guidance.

It's a recent issue (only noticed in the last 10 days or so) but my 7900XT fans have started going absolutely hell for leather whenever I launch a game. Fans are at 2300+ RPM - but the temps are cool. It's at 99% utilisation and sitting at 53 deg because the fans are working overtime.

When I look in Adrenalin, under tuning it looks like it's applying a manual custom tuning and that's where it's coming from. If I change it to default (which is what I typically have had it always set to) everything goes back to normal.

I've re-installed drivers, not sure what else I'm missing here.

It's a Sapphire Pulse 7900XT, not had any issues or anything until now so it's a little peculiar.

Did you ddu? Possible remnants of older drivers may be installed still, if you haven't ddu'd I would recommend doing this and see if the issue resolves it's self.

If you still have problems after, check your chipset drivers and windows updates.

Did you ddu? Possible remnants of older drivers may be installed still, if you haven't ddu'd I would recommend doing this and see if the issue resolves it's self.

If you still have problems after, check your chipset drivers and windows updates.
Yeah, I did. Tend to DDU anytime I need to resolve any driver related issue but might do it again and potentially run a fresh windows install.

Funnily enough, on my boot just now I got an alert from Adrenalin saying my 'manual tuning profile' couldn't be loaded. I check Adrenalin and once again it's applied a custom 'manual' tuning.

Yeah, I did. Tend to DDU anytime I need to resolve any driver related issue but might do it again and potentially run a fresh windows install.

Funnily enough, on my boot just now I got an alert from Adrenalin saying my 'manual tuning profile' couldn't be loaded. I check Adrenalin and once again it's applied a custom 'manual' tuning.

If it gets too bad as you say a fresh install of windows may be needed, bit drastic but sometimes the only way to know old files are gone, usually ddu does the trick though.

If it gets too bad as you say a fresh install of windows may be needed, bit drastic but sometimes the only way to know old files are gone, usually ddu does the trick though.
Updated my motherboard BIOS (it was only 2 versions out so not a huge change but figured I'd rule as much as out as possible), ran DDU again and then installed one driver version back of Adrenalin and opted for the minimal install and that looks to have done the trick.

I'll keep an eye on it to make sure things don't suddenly go a bit haywire again but cheers for the help.

Edit: Annnnnd it's started again. I think a full Windows reinstall is going to be the move here.

Last edited:
Updated my motherboard BIOS (it was only 2 versions out so not a huge change but figured I'd rule as much as out as possible), ran DDU again and then installed one driver version back of Adrenalin and opted for the minimal install and that looks to have done the trick.

I'll keep an eye on it to make sure things don't suddenly go a bit haywire again but cheers for the help.

Edit: Annnnnd it's started again. I think a full Windows reinstall is going to be the move here.
Is it possible to create a custom profile with your fan settings. I had to turn off windows fast boot to make my default profile stuck.

Last edited:
Is it possible to create a custom profile with your fan settings.
I create a game profile in Tuning and you can make a custom one there if that's what you mean?

I have to use AB though as I have a locking issue in Wattman when using Chill and reduced PL (that works for me).

AB with my XTX Nitro;

image.png

Last edited:
Ah i see, I'm sure the card will be fine, nothing else was a worry, when it was blocked it ran stupid cool and clocked to high heaven, back on the air cooler core and vram temps are gonna be hot :(, but within design limits (hopefully) XD, Anyhow when tested and your happy drop me a pm to discuss further details :)

Very much appreciate the help Vince!

OK so mixed news, the card boots fine and now detects 16x PCI-e so this is good...

I can bench heaven at 720p and 1080p windowed just fine but if I push the card at full screen native my test system crashes now I am not sure if this is my psu or if it is the card but if I pop in my radeon 7 back into my test bench and run the same tests it's fine. I took the card apart again and I don't see any other damage or other issues... The only thing I'm thinking is I could rip apart my personal TRX40 rig and test it in there but that's my work rig and is generally out of bounds for testing...

280 watt tdp on the 7 and 355 watt on the 7900... it could be a bit much for the supply in the test bench but it also could still be a card issue... hmmm

Last edited:
Oh! What wattage is your test PSU? I ran the card before on a 1kw and a 1.5kw unit.

And at 4k too

So my test bench is an 850w but... it's a kolink continuum platinum thing I've never fully trusted (but equally its never failed and has been fine with the 7) My main rig is a seasonic platinum supply.

Last edited:
Is it possible to create a custom profile with your fan settings. I had to turn off windows fast boot to make my default profile stuck.
So I can create a custom profile, I’ll do that and see if it sticks. If I create a game override to use a different tuning it’ll follow that too, it just seems that whenever I boot something is telling Adrenalin to launch a custom tuning profile rather than default.

So I can create a custom profile, I’ll do that and see if it sticks. If I create a game override to use a different tuning it’ll follow that too, it just seems that whenever I boot something is telling Adrenalin to launch a custom tuning profile rather than default.
Alright - so I can create a custom profile and apply a fan curve and then save. On the next boot, it loads of 'manual tuning - custom' again, but instead uses a different curve, not the one I set (I set a very basic test curve so it was easy to spot a change).

Something is definitely telling Adrenalin to launch a custom tuning profile with it's own settings and I haven't got a clue what it could be.

I do use FanControl - so my other thought is possibly FanControl is having some impact on Adrenalin? Or alternatively I set a curve in FanControl, select 'force apply' and hope that deals with the fan speeds. There's no change to clock speed or power limits or anything else happening by this custom tuning that's being set, just fan speed.

@Vince Tried reducing the power limit to -10 to help the supply a bit, you can use Afterburner if you have it installed.

Its been running some what stable if the core clocks are set around the 1200mhz range, anymore and the program locks up or the test system with it installed in shuts down. can see rebar is disabled, not sure what effect that will make if any though

Last edited:
Alright - so I can create a custom profile and apply a fan curve and then save. On the next boot, it loads of 'manual tuning - custom' again, but instead uses a different curve, not the one I set (I set a very basic test curve so it was easy to spot a change).

Something is definitely telling Adrenalin to launch a custom tuning profile with it's own settings and I haven't got a clue what it could be.

I do use FanControl - so my other thought is possibly FanControl is having some impact on Adrenalin? Or alternatively I set a curve in FanControl, select 'force apply' and hope that deals with the fan speeds. There's no change to clock speed or power limits or anything else happening by this custom tuning that's being set, just fan speed.
Do you have afterburner and have you saved any fan profiles in that program.

Do you have afterburner and have you saved any fan profiles in that program.
Nope, haven't used Afterburner since swapping from my 3070 to the 7900XT.

I disabled FanControl to see if that had any impact but it's still applying this custom tuning on each boot - and it applies it's own fan curve every time as well. No matter what I change it to and save, it always goes back to this one...

yAbui7L.png

Nope, haven't used Afterburner since swapping from my 3070 to the 7900XT.

I disabled FanControl to see if that had any impact but it's still applying this custom tuning on each boot - and it applies it's own fan curve every time as well. No matter what I change it to and save, it always goes back to this one...

yAbui7L.png
That looks like standard to me. Are you getting any alarms saying the driver has detected a crash. I was getting this a lot until I turned off windows fast boot.

Last edited:
That looks like standard to me. Are you getting any alarms saying the driver has detected a crash. I was getting this a lot until I turned off windows fast boot.
Nope, nothing showing a driver crash. Checked the event log and there's nothing related either. I've already disabled windows fast boot when I was doing my 'try everything to find a fix' attempts...

It's a proper peculiar one because I've just booted my PC now to have another look and this time the 'default' profile is applied and things are working fine!

Back
Top Bottom