• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

Will still be an upgrade! I’m happy having gone from a 6950 to a 7900 for the reasons I outlined above :)

I think a grand is enough, wow a grand for a GPU... can't believe I'm saying it. 7900XT is my limit, noticed 4080 is slowly coming down too. I'll sit on that fence till mid January, then take the plunge.

6900/6950 being half the cost of a xtx aib has me a trippin s bit.. I’ve seen OC also just reduced the price of some 4080s to under 1200… there is no middle ground!

The Sapphire Nitro+ Vapor X looks like a really lovely card. I couldn't help get bored looking at most of the cards for the 4090, Sapphire have done a really good job to make a premium card.

I think the small size of the mbn cards is a massive perk in my mind for me, I have two smaller ish cases in the meshify and the 400d. My cpus are t the strongest so I don’t even know how well they’d drive. 7900xt vs a 6900xt (5800x & 12400)

How does that compare to your 6900xt performance? I’m less worried about the £££ and more worried about actually using it’s capability! Also with the prices on 6950xt/6900xt now it’s attractive
on my settings its a jump in warzone of about 50% i think. I play Civ (poorly) WH3 and Stardew valley, but in those fps wasn't really an issue anyway

I run 160 fps ultrawide so going from my 6900 xt to 7900 xtx is 0 difference but I had to get my son a gpu this Christmas so it had to be done. The raw rasta performance in 3dmark shows how much grunt the 7000 cards have so at least I have peace of mind if I go 4k its going to hack it.

Cyberpunk ultra no RT preset and no fsr, on Linux, sapphire reference xtx
IMG-20221224-221955.jpg

Last edited:
throughout the day i've noticed my mba junction temp getting hotter and hotter to the point i'm at 110c no matter what i do, the card sounds like a jet engine, so i pulled the card apart just and found this horror show under the heatsink

vzB3PAf.jpg.png

top right mcd has no paste, and tbh the whole die is covered in a very very thin application of TIM (its like cement) :(, gonna have to box up card now until my waterblock arrives, around a month to go :(

Last edited:
throughout the day i've noticed my mba junction temp getting hotter and hotter to the point i'm at 110c no matter what i do, the card sounds like a jet engine, so i pulled the card apart just and found this horror show under the heatsink

top right mcd has no paste, and tbh the whole die is covered in a very very thin application of TIM (its like cement) :(, gonna have to box up card now until my waterblock arrives, around a month to go :(
That is not good. I have a feeling once your waterblock comes temps will drop and performance will rise

That is not good. I have a feeling once your waterblock comes temps will drop and performance will rise

i'd planned to watercool it just means my schedule has changed, i'd have liked to use it until the block arrived, just one of those things i guess, the card will be safe and not at those stupid temps all the time

The quality control on the reference cards is not upto scratch and too many of them have issues. I see to be lucky and my Saphire MBA seems ok , at least long enough for a waterblock to be available.

Is the Ek block the only option for the reference cards or has there been others announced? The Alphacool versions seem to be only for the AIB cards.

I run 160 fps ultrawide so going from my 6900 xt to 7900 xtx is 0 difference but I had to get my son a gpu this Christmas so it had to be done. The raw rasta performance in 3dmark shows how much grunt the 7000 cards have so at least I have peace of mind if I go 4k its going to hack it.
After reading this I just realized that my monitor resolution isn't 4k. 3440x1440, 21:9 WQHD is my max res. :rolleyes:

4k is 3840 × 2160 or 4096 × 2160.

I guess I won't be able to tell much either going from a 6900xt to a 7900xtx? Perhaps only in RT games?

After reading this I just realized that my monitor resolution isn't 4k. 3440x1440, 21:9 WQHD is my max res. :rolleyes:

4k is 3840 × 2160 or 4096 × 2160.

I guess I won't be able to tell much either going from a 6900xt to a 7900xtx? Perhaps only in RT games?
You get a good jump in certain titles, depends how much your willing to spend, I'm in a similar predicament myself at 3440, I either go 6950XT but lack RT or go XTX and get better performance in everything but at a decent price increase

vzB3PAf.jpg.png

Although I did not have any temp issues, I took mine apart and put liquid metal on it. Temps got 5c+ better. If you have some thermal paste, just put that on and remount it, should tide you over until your block arrives.

Back
Top Bottom