• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

Hey guys I was hoping that maybe someone here has a solution or a suggestion as to what might be the issue I'm experiencing at the moment.

So lost ark is one of my staple games at the moment but I've been racking my brain as to why my fps is way lower than I really think it should be for a 7900xtx + 5900x. It's not exactly a difficult game to run even at 1440P or higher but it seems at least to me that my 7900 xtx is performing worse at 1440P than a 4080 does at 4k... And by a significant amount I might add.

Here is the video of the 4080 running lost ark in a chaos dungeon scenario (Lots of mobs, effects etc) and you can see that even at 4K the average fps is over 200, and over 300+ at 1440p which is what I would expect from this current generation of cards running a game made in Unreal Engine 3.

Below is a video I made just now of my performance in a similar scenario and you can see my fps sometimes dips below 100... and this is at 1440P.

first of all I'm wondering; if anybody else with a 7900 xtx is having similar problems with lost ark? Of course if anybody has any ideas as to what might be causing my low fps (relatively speaking).

I've tried:

- Fresh driver install
- Fresh game install
- Disabling 2nd monitor
- Stock card settings
- UV/OC settings

I just don't know what it is about this game in particular. My fps with regards to other benchmarks and other games seem to be in line with what I'm expecting which is why I'm really stumped.

Last edited:
Hey guys I was hoping that maybe someone here has a solution or a suggestion as to what might be the issue I'm experiencing at the moment.

So lost ark is one of my staple games at the moment but I've been racking my brain as to why my fps is way lower than I really think it should be for a 7900xtx + 5900x. It's not exactly a difficult game to run even at 1440P or higher but it seems at least to me that my 7900 xtx is performing worse at 1440P than a 4080 does at 4k... And by a significant amount I might add.

Here is the video of the 4080 running lost ark in a chaos dungeon scenario (Lots of mobs, effects etc) and you can see that even at 4K the average fps is over 200, and over 300+ at 1440p which is what I would expect from this current generation of cards running a game made in Unreal Engine 3.

Below is a video I made just now of my performance in a similar scenario and you can see my fps sometimes dips below 100... and this is at 1440P.

first of all I'm wondering; if anybody else with a 7900 xtx is having similar problems with lost ark? Of course if anybody has any ideas as to what might be causing my low fps (relatively speaking).

I've tried:

- Fresh driver install
- Fresh game install
- Disabling 2nd monitor
- Stock card settings
- UV/OC settings

I just don't know what it is about this game in particular. My fps with regards to other benchmarks and other games seem to be in line with what I'm expecting which is why I'm really stumped.
Are you sure it isn't simple as lost ark loving the 3D cache?

I've tried:

- Fresh driver install
- Fresh game install
- Disabling 2nd monitor
- Stock card settings
- UV/OC settings

At 1440P both the 7900XTX and 4080 seem to be cpu limited since the gpu load is hanging around 60-75% and both cards are not fully utilized. Even with lots of action onscreen both gpu's are not hitting 99% usage so they are not the issue. The 5800X3D is much better at handling certain types of games so I suspect that is the reason why the game is running better in the 4080 video.

At 1440P both the 7900XTX and 4080 seem to be cpu limited since the gpu load is hanging around 60-75% and both cards are not fully utilized. Even with lots of action onscreen both gpu's are not hitting 99% usage so they are not the issue. The 5800X3D is much better at handling certain types of games so I suspect that is the reason why the game is running better in the 4080 video.
hmm CPU util is low though, and an fps difference of 150 from a 5800x3d seems... a lot....

The 13900K/7950X bottleneck the 7900 XTX. Will need a 7000 VCache CPU to help alleviate that bottleneck. The 4090 of course is held back too in this regard.
Yeap, tho if I'm honest I might just keep with intel, I'm having serious performance problems on the xtx when paired with my zen4 system

That's not normal, sounds like local system issues. What's happening?
When I pair xtx with it I get less FPS then 6900XT in HZD, Kingdom come etc, when compared to the same card running on intel it's actually kinda insane the difference, phoronix had same issue and advised lowering soc voltage which did help a little but it's not where it should be currently on my system

When I pair xtx with it I get less FPS then 6900XT in HZD, Kingdom come etc, when compared to the same card running on intel it's actually kinda insane the difference, phoronix had same issue and advised lowering soc voltage which did help a little but it's not where it should be currently on my system
Oh wait, you're on Linux aren't you. Fair, thought you were on Windows. Can't really speak to Linux at all, but maybe @pete910 can offer an olive branch.

To be fair it was actually worse on windows in some games, like cyberpunk was like 35fps slower in benchmark
I was thinking about getting Horizon Zero Dawn, so could test that and let you know what I see on Zen 4 and a 7900 XTX if that would help.

Are your figures from the built in benchmark or the game itself? What res/settings do you use?

I was thinking about getting Horizon Zero Dawn, so could test that and let you know what I see on Zen 4 and a 7900 XTX if that would help.

Are your figures from the built in benchmark or the game itself? What res/settings do you use?
Built in bench for cyberpunk cause I remember, figures for HZD and Kingdom come are from in-game, for benchmarking to see how I compare I usually use 1440p (cause everybody and there mother lists it on site/YouTube), but I game at 3440, HZD and Kingdom come I've only tested at 3440, but I can retest at 1440

Last edited:
You get a good jump in certain titles, depends how much your willing to spend, I'm in a similar predicament myself at 3440, I either go 6950XT but lack RT or go XTX and get better performance in everything but at a decent price increase
My 55" OLED TV runs 3840 x 2160 @120Hz so that's good if I want to try it out. I'm sure I'm going to love it dude. It's just after all this research I can't believe I let some of the finer details slip by. Easily done though. Lesson learnt.

Merry Christmas everyone.. :)

Built in bench for cyberpunk cause I remember, figures for HZD and Kingdom come are from in-game, for benchmarking to see how I compare I usually use 1440p (cause everybody and there mother lists it on site/YouTube), but I game at 3440
Will let you know how it goes. Just bought it (HZD) for £9.99 so will test it at 1440P/4K and share my findings.

Will let you know how it goes. Just bought it (HZD) for £9.99 so will test it at 1440P/4K and share my findings.
Thanks mate, HZD is a game that does perform worse on Linux no matter GPU but I roughly remember what I got under windows (why can't windows be a 2min install like Linux :( )

Back
Top Bottom