• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

How is your German?

I am sure Derbauer will release an English language vid at some point with his findings but until then spracken zie deutch (sorry if that is not even close).

Yeah. This is worrying alone that you have to strip a card and apply new paste and pads. We wouldn’t know where to start. If I bought a £1000 appliance I wouldn’t expect to strip it open and apply new anything to be honest. Think he’s going to send it back and purchase a 4080 FE instead. AMD really have dropped the ball here and worst part is They haven’t even released a statement saying there is issues with thermal paste and pads and recalled any cards.

I totally agree. If you spend £1k+ on a product you should expect it to have been put together correctly.

If you watch the Derbauer EN video (guy has too many channels to keep track of) that Raven nicely posted it will show that the issue is fixable but you should not have to do that.

i just repasted my card after getting to 110c, in the process of driver install will run a few games and report back as to wether its better or not
I totally agree. If you spend £1k+ on a product you should expect it to have been put together correctly.

If you watch the Derbauer EN video (guy has too many channels to keep track of) that Raven nicely posted it will show that the issue is fixable but you should not have to do that.
Just watched the video. Issue is he was testing the card in a vertical position and not on the horizontal position. Loads of people on the Reddit forums are seeing improvement in changing the case orientation and seeing better temps.

tested a few of my games, ran each game around 10-15mins and allowed the card to get upto temps, check the right side as i have a logger up, all games maxed out at 4k and gpu was stock no fan tuning or power limit adjustments, gpu is vertically mounted in my 7000d

cyberpunk 2077

onxjdlL.jpg.png

Horizon Zero Dawn

JkgGD7U.jpg.png

Destiny 2

BmLzGpz.jpg.png

Callisto Protocol

aFwNqHp.jpg.png

Death Stranding

y4WWjl8.jpg.png

depending on what game i have seen a reduction in junction temp not too bad and the gpu core temp is very low tbh, i bet under water this thing will scream :)

Last edited:
Just watched the video. Issue is he was testing the card in a vertical position and not on the horizontal position. Loads of people on the Reddit forums are seeing improvement in changing the case orientation and seeing better temps.

I had also heard about the issue with the temps when horizontally mounted. It makes little sense that there would be a huge difference just by that change. It makes no difference electronically or thermal conductively what orientation it is and little in a a convection or vapour chamber scenario. Unless something is loose or not making correct contact it should not matter. Bit of a mystery at the moment.

If he is not happy with the product then send it back and get refund, it is his right and choice to do so.

@wookiee87 You still seem to have a relatively high temp delta between gpu core and junc but as long as the card is not throttling it should be ok.

You still seem to have a relatively high temp delta between gpu core and junc but as long as the card is not throttling it should be ok.

i know right a bit odd, when i repasted i made sure to get a even spread of thermal paste (thermal grizzy paste, was included with my ek cpu block), i used a old card and covered the core and mcd's evenly, whats more impressive is the card was silent and hitting 350w, which i think is quite good, before this i limied the card to -10% power and even at 302w i saw 110c in no time.

i did notice before that if the core clock goes past 2500mhz then the junction temp skyrockets, seems to be the same thing after, 2300-2400mhz seems the sweet spot to keep everything in check on mba's at least

Last edited:
so Santa brought my 7900xtx yesterday, so far, no problems at all. It makes less noise that my reference 6950xt, that has serious coil wind. treated myself to a 4k Monitor too, however am not that impressed, prefer 1440p. Can't really tell the difference!

I'd take a picture but sick at the moment

i know right a bit odd, when i repasted i made sure to get a even spread of thermal paste (thermal grizzy paste, was included with my ek cpu block), i used a old card and covered the core and mcd's evenly, whats more impressive is the card was silent and hitting 350w, which i think is quite good, before this i limied the card to -10% power and even at 302w i saw 110c in no time.

i did notice before that if the core clock goes past 2500mhz then the junction temp skyrockets, seems to be the same thing after, 2300-2400mhz seems the sweet spot to keep everything in check on mba's at least
Yeah the temps not matching up and still seem on the higher end even after a re paste. Plus that is at stock speeds people who got no issues are overclocking these card past 2500mhz. All this enough for me. 4080 FE is in stock. So I’ll cancel my OC order and my bro is going to send his back. Such a shame these cards do compete with the 4080. With a lower price point.

Yeah the temps not matching up and still seem on the higher end even after a re paste. Plus that is at stock speeds people who got no issues are overclocking these card past 2500mhz. All this enough for me. 4080 FE is in stock. So I’ll cancel my OC order and my bro is going to send his back. Such a shame these cards do compete with the 4080. With a lower price point.

i wouldn't right off the 7900 series, from what i read aib cards do not suffer this junction temp issue, only the mba cards do, the 40 series are good cards too but if you go that route make sure the power adaptor is plugged in right or else it'll get super hot and potentially melt

i wouldn't right off the 7900 series, from what i read aib cards do not suffer this junction temp issue, only the mba cards do, the 40 series are good cards too but if you go that route make sure the power adaptor is plugged in right or else it'll get super hot and potentially melt
if it plays your games well why are people bothered about the temp? its only heat

if it plays your games well why are people bothered about the temp? its only heat

The issue is when the junc temp hits 110C the card will throttle clocks and you lose performance. If you have a card that is not effected by this odd issue then the temps generally stay under 90C and there is no problem. In general it is nice to have your components run cool because then they will on average last longer. Sometimes memory needs to be a touch hotter to help them reach high clocks but even then there are limits and some 3090s had issues with memory modules on the backsides of cards overheating and causing performance issues.

Outside of the specific 7900 issue - because it’s seriously uncomfortable sitting in a room with a heater on full blast. Plus it impacts other components.

Last edited:
I have this weird issue that has just started. 7900xtx MBA.
Long underscroll pause before award bios screen shows.
Then windows boots into OS on low res.
Basic Win driver shows instead of Adrenaline drivers.
Fans spinning on gpu and obs I have a display.
Possible re-seat on Pci-e slot maybe?? (I have a vertical riser).
Strange one, as only been on pc a handful of times since installing the new card, and all worked fine until today.

Strange one, as only been on pc a handful of times since installing the new card, and all worked fine until today.

check your riser cable, make sure its seated on the motherboard side and gpu right, use ddu and wipe anything gpu driver related, head to amd and get the latest 7900 series driver 22.12.2 and try again

Riser cables are usually aids, look there first.

Back
Top Bottom