The Razer Phone

Soldato
Why do you need 120hz display? I'd rather have have an OLED display, doesn't have to be the newest.

Don't see the point, surely it would just create more heat and kill your battery life if the framerate was that high..... I don't get it.

Smoothness, if this becomes the new "thing" then oled are stuck for a while as i don't think they can do that refresh rate can they?

Soldato
Smoothness, if this becomes the new "thing" then oled are stuck for a while as i don't think they can do that refresh rate can they?
I think OLED does 90hz in the oculus rift.

I'd still take oled for now, but will continue dreaming of 120hz oled until it comes true.

Permabanned
Moving away from OLED is to much of a compromise, the interface already feels perfectly smooth at 60hz so it seems like a bit of a hard sell to me. Plus I don't like the idea of any games running at 120fps, say goodbye to your battery life and say hello to increased heat.

Yeah, the OLED displays in Oculus do 90hz and that was released early 2016, if they needed to produce displays with higher refreshrates I'm sure they could.

Soldato
I know OLED is better in terms of colours and contrast, but the burn-in issues I got on my 6P bugged me enough to go back to LCD for now. Why did Google decide to go with white status/navigation buttons :p?

You can still limit the framerate to 60Hz if you feel 120Hz is draining too much. There's no proper reviews yet so we don't even know the average battery time for the phone.

Soldato
Had a play with one in the three store. It was along side the s8 and note 8. The screen it’s self is nice if it was oled it would have been much much better. The response time of the screen is blistering fast and so smooth. I couldn’t tell the smoothness apart from my ip6s and the razer. Seemed more fluid launching apps against the Samsung devices.

The design it’s self is nice but the corners are a bit too sharp for my liking but I could live with it. There doesn’t seem to be much bloat on the standard os. Os is also super snappy which is nice.

My only grip is the camera zoom does lag a little guessing when it changes between the lenses. Overall I do think it’s a nice package for the price.

Permabanned
I know OLED is better in terms of colours and contrast, but the burn-in issues I got on my 6P bugged me enough to go back to LCD for now. Why did Google decide to go with white status/navigation buttons :p?

You can still limit the framerate to 60Hz if you feel 120Hz is draining too much. There's no proper reviews yet so we don't even know the average battery time for the phone.

I haven't seen burn in on an OLED display since the Galaxy S2 (2011), granted I never did try the Nexus 6P.

It's not a concern.

Associate
Dont know why some people are so hung up on OLED. Plenty of LCD screens look very nearly as good anyway, and are as said less likely to burn in (although I've not had any problems with my S7E). Anyone who doesn't believe 120Hz displays make a big difference to the smoothness / responsiveness have never tried one. My 60Hz iPad felt like a horrible choppy mess after playing with an iPad Pro for just a few minutes.

Soldato

Samsung have 120Hz OLED in the works: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/57677/samsung-3-5-inch-120hz-oled-next-gen-vr-panels/index.html

I checked out the Razer Phone today in store. My thoughts: it's bloody awesome. I'd give up OLED every day of the week for 120HZ. It makes doing EVERYTHING on the phone so much nicer! If the software can stand the test of time, and Razer add in 4K EIS it'll be a cracking device. (And cheaper than competitors!!)

Permabanned
Sorry, been a busy couple of days. Here's a photo of the Mrs S7
It's difficult to capture it in a photo, but yes that's the keyboard permanently burned in and it's so bad you can even see it on a white screen.

Well it is an OLED screen at the end of the day, they will burn in if you leave a static image on the screen long enough, but that still doesn't change the fact I haven't seen any on my devices since the Galaxy S2 and I keep them for a 12-18 months usually, so it's not a concern at all for me.

Soldato

It must be to do with the quality of the screen rather than the tech. My original nexus 6 has been used heavily everyday for three years and has just the slightest hint of screen burn if I get he colours and angle just right to see it.

Back
Top Bottom