The reason I love tech

Soldato
Yes, I am fully aware that originally that the law is regarding the number of transistor we can integrate onto a PCB.

Now... what powers most devices, servers, everything that is made within our world? Thats correct the CPU.

Apologies the number I said should have been a billion, however, what is two to the power of 30? = 1,073,741,824.

Therefore, the the amount of transistors we can fit on a PCB in 30 years time will be 1,073,741,824 greater. All that extra power = a lot more technology.

Thanks

Trojans post was correct.

Still an awesome amount more power to come though

Suspended
Crazy to think that when Charles Babbage first showed his friends his (entirely mechanical) adding machine they thought it was a magic trick and one guest was found trying to break it open (presumably thinking a dwarf was inside with an abacus).

That story cannot be true, since Babbage's Difference Engine was never fully built in his time and even if it had been, everyone would have seen that it was too small to house a dwarf.

Associate
that may have come off a bit more critical that I'd meant to, it's such a common misconception that I felt the need to clarify.

regarding the maths, it would be 2^15 still; the total period (30 years), divided by the interval (2 years)

but yeah, no doubt there is some amazing tech just around the corner, and no doubt a lot of what would seem impossible now will seem mundane in our lifetimes.
(I remember being told about quantum computing on my first day at uni, which was around 07, and I think it's only in the last couple of months they've got close to making it useful.....and I'm still waiting for my 2TB SD card!)

Last edited:
Permabanned
Controlling my desktop pc from my nexus 7 never gets old, now all i need is some home automation for the lights and a new av receiver that supports the yamaha app and i can control it all from my nexus 7.

GPS on the mobile with street view is amazing when you think about it.

Augmented reality glasses look awesome as well. looking forward to trying them out, same with vr.

Soldato
We're not aware of it but we're going through a technological revolution that will dwarf the Renaissance, the Industrial Revolution and any other major turning point in our history. The whole world is now connected, it's having a world wide conversation in real time, it reacts instantly to events that happen anywhere on our planet and almost instantly (limited by the speed of light) to what happens in our Solar System.

All we need now is a new, better energy source. When we find that, we will not only love tech, we will become tech.

Associate
It's quite exciting when you pick up a pen to write a letter without the use of a spell checker. :D
I can't really cope without spell checker now :( Even to the point where if I try to type ANYTHING in caps on my phone the results are bad. Very. Very. Bad.

Permabanned
Funnily enough, I was in awe, née rapture, when I got to see an actual Saturn V. Then I got morose when I then realised mankind has given up on space and become so more self centred.

You say that like the entire space program / space race wasn't one great big self centred circle jerk for no other reason than to do it before the Russians did (and the Russians to do it before the Americans), and that people don't get into it for the feel good factor of "I did that" or "I worked on that" due to id, ego and super ego.

Soldato
OP
You say that like the entire space program / space race wasn't one great big self centred circle jerk for no other reason than to do it before the Russians did (and the Russians to do it before the Americans), and that people don't get into it for the feel good factor of "I did that" or "I worked on that" due to id, ego and super ego.

Now I say this as a major lover of sci-fi, space, and the unknown frontiers, but...
I cant see a single benefit to space exploration for the human race at this moment in time. I think if we spent the money we spend on space exploration on things like renewable energy then we would get past our need to get to space (more living space, possible sources of materials etc).

In my opinion there is nothing we can find sat on another planet that we cant find on earth because all the planets in our solar system originate from the same core materials and are bombarded by the same extra solar bodies.

On top of that, logic dictates that in an infinite universe, with the timelines we are talking about from the big bang onwards, if alien life existed then somewhere in the universe there would be races advanced enough communicate with / travel to us. And logically if theres one like that there would be many, so even if several say "they're too immature, we cant talk to them" there would be others that say "stuff that, lets land and enslave them". So logically we would know about aliens by now if they existed. So no need for trying to contact someone with fantastic technology to advance us.

If you asked someone, "excuse me sir, what are the real world benefits to getting in to space", what would they say? We can put a man on the moon? People could live on mars? Why? to escape the climactic changes to earth? Would earths downfall ever make it as inhospitable as mars?

*Rant over :p*

Permabanned
Take me for example, I work from home. Fire up my 4G hotspot on my phone and connect my computer to it. I then browse and login to my work Citrix access gateway (more reliable than VPN) which sits on a dmz, once past encryption (2 factor so a radius server) and certificates, the connection then goes through to a Netscaler and Web interface where I open a connection to my PC at work that has remote PC client installed on Xen Desktop infrastructure, or I could open a desktop session in XenaApp and RDP my machine. I get apps on my work PC from XenApp (multiple farms and web interfaces) local installed and virtualised.
I tried to use the technique you mentioned above, but was not successful. In the end have to purchase a service that is good and effective in US at least. So i googled a number of VPN services and opted for the best USA VPN available, in term of price and features. I want to say that these tips and tricks of creating your own vpn or changing your gate way or IP address are not properly explained to a user. A normal user can not understand these technicality unless they are made easy to understand for layman.

Last edited:
Soldato
In my case it was putting three extension phones on house phone and they worked first time - this was before the new stuff we have today where you just bodge two wires on back of a faceplate.

Although I built my own PC tech today baffles me a bit- especially networking - no matter how much I read and try it just never sinks in.

Chap next door came round yesterday and said my network isn't locked - I had no idea so he went back and two hours later came round and said Security wasn't turned on Duh !!

Soldato
I tried to use the technique you mentioned above, but was not successful. In the end have to purchase a service that is good and effective in US at least. So i googled a number of VPN services and opted for the best USA VPN available, in term of price and features. I want to say that these tips and tricks of creating your own vpn or changing your gate way or IP address are not properly explained to a user. A normal user can not understand these technicality unless they are made easy to understand for layman.
^ who is this troll/returnee bumping 3 year old thread?

Soldato
When I was stood in the wrong car park on holiday wondering where my car was. Simply said "ok google, where did I park the car". Google opened up maps and told me which direction I should start walking.

Man of Honour
Crazy to think that when Charles Babbage first showed his friends his (entirely mechanical) adding machine they thought it was a magic trick and one guest was found trying to break it open (presumably thinking a dwarf was inside with an abacus).

Wonder what they'd make of a modern computer!

They'd probably adapt to it faster because it would be far easier to use. The people who wanted to know how it worked would have a hard time, but that wouldn't affect many people. Only a tiny percentage of people today know how a computer works despite computers being everywhere and almost everyone having at least 1 general purpose computer. Most Victorians would be able to grasp using a modern computer, same as most people today. The idea of new technology wasn't alien to them. In some ways, less so for them than for us. It was a time of dramatic increases in knowledge and technology. A large tunnel was being dug under the Thames! Wider than almost every road, wide enough for 4 vehicles. Hundreds of carts and carriages would pass through every day. Remarkable! Phone calls and text messages would be quite understandable to people who knew about telegraphy and expected huge advances in technology. A text message is just a telegram. Faster and easier to send and receive, but not fundamentally different.

I think they'd freak at the details of exactly how a computer works, but I also think most of them would adapt to using one as easily as most people adapted to using trains, cars, electricity, etc.

I didn't think Babbage ever got his difference engine built, but if he did demonstrate a prototype then a trick with a person inside was a plausible explanation. Babbage's friends would have been well aware of The Turk, which was very famous at the time. It was a machine that played chess that was widely exhibited in Europe and America for decades (including the UK), attracting a lot of attention. At least some of Babbage's friends would have seen it and all of them would have known of it. It was presented as an automaton, a moving machine. They'd existed for millenia. But one that played chess? Was that possible? Of course, everyone+dog wanted to know how it worked. The idea that it was an illusion with the device being controlled by a person inside it was of course widely suggested (and true), but nobody was allowed to examine it.

I'm assuming that the context is Babbage's friends coming forward in time. Modern computers being taken back in time in large quantities would be a different thing entirely, radically changing history.

Soldato
After 12 years working in IT, owning and working with the latest tech. I'm sick of it.

I'm only 30, but I just want to move down to the back end of nowhere in Cornwall, with a cottage with enough Internet bandwidth to stream Netflix and comfortably wait to die.

Back
Top Bottom