• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RT Related Games, Benchmarks, Software, Etc Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Them 3080's, Portal was played years ago, I mean it may be pretty to look at but I bet 95% of people who try it won't finish it, lose interest.

I completed both Portal games back in the day. Might revisit, but in no rush to be honest. I would be a lot more interested in a RT Oblivion which I think I recall being shown.

Oh don't get me wrong it looks good. But when a gpu for £1700 scrapes 60fps at 4k on a game Ive completed many years ago I can't really get too excited.

IMHO I think it's the devs that are the problem not the hardware as we seem to rely on the brute force of a GPU rather than optimization. I know manually optimizing games for every GPU is impossible but I'm hoping in the not too distant future there will be a way maybe through AI to run a program on a persons system that then optimizes the games around that persons hardware for the best experience rather than just using brute force.

Last edited:
I wonder how much better the performance would have been if they didn't use nvidias remix tool ;)

All in all, this like quake, mario, doom, serious sam etc. are mostly just tech demos to show us where we are heading in terms of next gen visuals. Out of all those titles, this is the first one I'm excited for and will definitely be doing a full play through of but may wait for a patch or 2 first as like any game nowadays especially one with new tech. and also the way of implementing RT is new, there will be plenty they can do to fix/optimise/improve things but then again.... those performance charts is good PR for nvidias 40xx :cry:

In short: With active ray tracing, SER can scan the incoming rays, analyze the programs to be executed (shaders) derived from their point of occurrence and then sort them in such a way that the same shaders are always executed at the same time, even if they actually come from different rays. This should increase the utilization of the ALUs compared to the predecessor Ampere. Nvidia cited performance benefits from SER of up to 44 percent in Cyberpunk 2077 with Overdrive RT preset, up to 29 percent in Portal with RTX and up to 20 percent in Racer RTX.

In Portal with RTX, RTX 4000 owners can now see the benefit of customization for the first time. ComputerBase has determined a good 10 percent increase in performance on both an RTX 4090 and an RT 4080, while the Ampere graphics card RTX 3080 Ti was, as expected, unimpressed by the setting.

048v6IU.png

Well that's one less version of Portal to worry about, 6900 XT can barely do slideshows in power point with 2 FPS LOL.

Good job we have the original Portal.

I am still impressed with the 6900 XT, completely stomps on the competition in performance for the money, can anyone say 650 quid? ;)

Heck I have been beting 3090 / Ti owners in The Callisto Protocol with RT on for sheer perf numbers, but the devs really need to fix the CPU bottlenecking with RT on, this happens on everyone's systems.
Unsure of the settings used by TPU, considering the numbers I am likely to guess that RT is off because the 6900 XT was not this fast on the prior patch.

performance-2560-1440.png

AMD need to start gimping nvidia in their sponsored games, them benchmarks are raster as well so can't blame RT :cry: :D :p Is UE though so not too surprising that nvidia is favoured here. I'm surprised tbh, was fully expecting this one to eat vram.

Wizard said he will benchmark RT too at some point.

Game is poor regardless of performance anyway.

2022 gaming folks....

I downloaded Fortnite just to test the RT, performance is pretty brutal on a 3090 without DLSS :eek:

Haven't seen many, if any benchmarks from the usual lot on that yet, will be interesting to see though as iirc, this is the first UE 5.1 title? Given the history of EU always favouring nvidia, I suspect they will perform better on 5.1 too, especially where RT is concerned.

Wish I paid the extra £650+ for a 3080 12gb now or got a 3080ti just to get 4 fps @ 4k instead......

:cry:

But in all seriousness, just like most other demanding games, everyone will be using upscaling due to lack of grunt
:)
And for those who can, possibly enabling FG/dlss 3 too
:)

fo6xeqA.png

npjdRAB.png

xKJuHrO.png

qkZtIx2.png

UfTDYQu.png

4LiHCl1.png

So we have seen what remix is capable of, question is how many games will get this treatment now.....

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
I'd love to see the 2001 game, Alien vs Predator 2, Get the Remix treatment, That would be epic !
Games that need RT
All old Tomb Raider (Pre reboot)
All old Resident Evil games (Pre Resident Evil 4 and not remakes)
Shenmue series.
Call of Duty 4 remastered with it or maybe Modern Warfare 2. (I miss the old COD games)
Silent Hill games (All pre new one)
All Gran Turismo games (Pre 7 & have them released on PC)
Imagine this ray traced.

RT is unsuitable for most video games, old ones benefit far more and they don't require the over the top RT that Portal RTX has.

Also I found this funny, gets a 4090 sent to him to advertise Portal RTX. Nvidia are trying so hard to sell 2K 4090's.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
RT is unsuitable for most video games, old ones benefit far more and they don't require the over the top RT that Portal RTX has

Define over the top?

The hybrid RT games we have seen so far are considerably held back in RT, even cp 2077 is held back (until overdrive mode anyway)

At some point in the future, most games will be portal rtx levels of RT and be the norm but obviously that is a long way of.

Last edited:
Define over the top?

The hybrid RT games we have seen so far are considerably held back in RT, even cp 2077 is held back (until overdrive mode anyway)

At some point in the future, most games will be portal rtx levels of RT and be the norm but obviously that is a long way of.
Well we don't exactly have the hardware, the card that gets a playable FPS is the 4090 if we look at Portal RTX, so you need to be around 7k in with your PC rig including the rest.

Last edited:
Well we don't exactly have the hardware, the card that gets a playable FPS is the 4090 if we look at Portal RTX, so you need to be around 7k in with your PC rig including the rest.

TBF, this is the first full path tracing title we have had (I think even more so than quake etc., could be wrong here though) so as mentioned before, it is very much just a tech demo, think of it as like one of those benchmarks where it is designed to really punish/push current hardware but in a couple of years or so, we'll have the hardware for it. Essentially it's the new "crysis".

I do think that remix implementation has harmed performance considerably though especially for amd hardware, be that intentional or not.....

2tLloat.png

kNIvoxw.png

Interesting bit on the TAAU and dlss in this:

Since DLSS is of course not available with an AMD GPU, we also measure the graphics cards with the TAA upsampling (TAA-U), which is also available, to ensure a certain degree of comparability. Compared to DLSS, the TAA-U is noticeably demanding, and there is no anti-ghosting protection, which can only be used in combination with DLSS. Reflex also disappears from the standard menu (ALT-Insert) when TAA-U is switched on, but can also be (de)activated with TAA-U in the extended menu. Thanks to resolution scaling, the additional menu also reveals why the TAA-U is so much more expensive than Nvidia's DLSS: TAA-U with the Quality level uses a render scaling of 0.75, while DLSS Quality uses scaling with a factor of 0.67 , i.e. despite the same "quality" s designation a significantly lower rendering resolution. No wonder the TAA-U is significantly more expensive - keep an eye out for upsampling! Especially if you use it to compare graphics cards.

However, the Radeon has other problems - its 16 GiByte memory is severely limited from WQHD resolution, in Ultra HD the RX 6900 XT breaks down completely. The Geforce GPUs require significantly less video memory, but the RTX 3080 with 10 GiByte has problems in Ultra HD, reinforced with the higher-resolution TAA-U. On the RTX 4090, just under 11 GiByte memory is occupied in Ultra HD with DLSS Quality , with TAA-UQ the requirement increases to around 12 GiByte.

Apart from the high load on the Radeon memory, the RX 6900 XT is also generally far behind and has trouble asserting itself against an RTX 3060. In view of this, we'll leave it with the individual Radeon measurements, it wouldn't make much sense to test even weaker AMD GPUs in an Nvidia tech demo. However, it is very positive to note that Nvidia has tried to make Portal RTX run on Radeons at all. Portal RTX also runs on Radeons, but they don't compare very well.

Seems radeon cards vram optimisation is very poor, hence why amd need more vram..... :p I jest.

Hoping nvidia work to improve this across the board including amd big time as want to see this be very successful in order to see more RT games like this and I imagine they will have to improve it otherwise not many developers will want to use this but then again, suppose given nvidia have 88% of the market, amds 8% of the market won't be that much of an issue, however, chances are they are going to claw back a significant amount going forward so be foolish of nvidia to look at this from just their POV and the short term path rather than what this could mean long term.

Last edited:
That's quite bad, it's not abnormal to see games use more vram on amd cards, but I have surprised to see that 16gb vram isn't enough on the amd cards at 4k, that's several gb more than the 12GB cutoff on Nvidia

These issues are likely down just to the game mod being developed directly by Nvidia, who doesn't give a crap how it runs on amd and has likely never tested amd cards

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom