• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RT Related Games, Benchmarks, Software, Etc Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. It's inserting frames that gives the perception of smoother visuals, you get no benefit from double the Fps. If I went from 30 to 60 fps with frame gen, that would feel like ****.
This is incorrect. If you went from 30 to 60fps with FG then yes the experience would be crap because your baseline fps would be something like 8-12fps before DLSS upscaling was turned on, then FG would bump it up to 60fps, the latency would feel like what you're get at the base fps.

When the base fps is ~30 or more, and DLSS bumps it up to 50-60 or more, FG then doubles the fps (or more) - And Reflex handles the input latency side of things because the base fps is still decent enough for the experience to be very good, if not excellent. And for a little bit of a higher edge, can drop from DLSS Quality to Balanced if needs be to lower the input latency even further if desired but not essential in games like Cyberpunk when path tracing.

This is my direct experience with a 4090 using a 1000Hz mouse on QD-OLED 144Hz. The difference is not the same however when using a normal mouse like an MX Master 3, this is only for high performance mice otherwise you see low input latency from any mouse below 1000Hz polling rate. This is why I have two mice on my desk and switch to the XM2we when gaming.

That is the exact experience in Cyberpunk, and that is a fast paced game, I expect the generative improvements to the tech in Alan Wake to have even greater an experience with path tracing as a result and AW2 is a slower paced game too so that would aid the experience further.

Edit* From TPU's technical review:

The DLSS Frame Generation implementation in Alan Wake 2 is excellent, producing a stable and crisp image without any jittering issues on the in-game on-screen UI, the area where DLSS Frame Generation often has issues. Small particle effects, such as rain, are rendered correctly, even during fast movement. The hair rendering on the main character and NPCs also has perfect stability in motion. Also, the DLSS Frame Generation implementation in this game has the ability to use Frame Generation with DLAA. During our testing, overall gameplay felt very smooth and responsive, we haven't spotted any issues with input latency.

Last edited:
Digital foundry is happy with the performance and says it scales very well with different GPUs

People though their 3070 would be screwed but Digital Foundry shows that if you use the same settings as the PS5 uses the 3070 will get around 80fps compared to 50fps on the console

Last edited:
6hDNUyt.jpg

T4Kp9fm.png

inb4 shills

VT3XNux.gif

:p

Digital foundry is happy with the performance and says it scales very well with different GPUs

People though their 3070 would be screwed but Digital Foundry shows that if you use the same settings as the PS5 uses the 3070 will get around 80fps compared to 50fps on the console

But consoles supposedly run much better...... :p

2025 is going to be an interesting year, I have an inkling though prices will go up :(

I don't know tbh, I won't be surprised if they are but at same time, I won't be surprised to see jenson do an ampere "it's safe to upgrade" by bringing out a 5080 matching a 4090 for £1k :o

I have never seen FG double the FPS in GPU limited scenarios at 2160p - get about +50%

Seen it go to double in CPU limited scenarios though.
I just fired up Cyberpunk as definitely saw various areas of the game get doubled in the past, maybe that was before update 2.0 though as I haven't really ventured into FG on vs Off since path tracing update in 1.63, at least not to this detail anyway but out in the Badlands trying to game Panam so only this area for now, not quite double at 5160x2160, but still high enough.

FG on:
YHZaGPB.jpg

FG off:
EYUhLVR.jpg

This is incorrect. If you went from 30 to 60fps with FG then yes the experience would be crap because your baseline fps would be something like 8-12fps before DLSS upscaling was turned on, then FG would bump it up to 60fps, the latency would feel like what you're get at the base fps.

When the base fps is ~30 or more, and DLSS bumps it up to 50-60 or more, FG then doubles the fps (or more) - And Reflex handles the input latency side of things because the base fps is still decent enough for the experience to be very good, if not excellent. And for a little bit of a higher edge, can drop from DLSS Quality to Balanced if needs be to lower the input latency even further if desired but not essential in games like Cyberpunk when path tracing.

This is my direct experience with a 4090 using a 1000Hz mouse on QD-OLED 144Hz. The difference is not the same however when using a normal mouse like an MX Master 3, this is only for high performance mice otherwise you see low input latency from any mouse below 1000Hz polling rate. This is why I have two mice on my desk and switch to the XM2we when gaming.

That is the exact experience in Cyberpunk, and that is a fast paced game, I expect the generative improvements to the tech in Alan Wake to have even greater an experience with path tracing as a result and AW2 is a slower paced game too so that would aid the experience further.

Edit* From TPU's technical review:

It's not real FPS!

I just fired up Cyberpunk as definitely saw various areas of the game get doubled in the past, maybe that was before update 2.0 though as I haven't really ventured into FG on vs Off since path tracing update in 1.63, at least not to this detail anyway but out in the Badlands trying to game Panam so only this area for now, not quite double at 5160x2160, but still high enough.

FG on:
YHZaGPB.jpg

FG off:
EYUhLVR.jpg
looks about +50% :p

• Haha
Reactions: mrk
It's not real FPS!
As said earlier, if it looks and feels good and real, then who even cares? All this "fake frames" nonsense is really pushing a bad vibe on the whole technology which is actually making things that would otherwise not be possible, possible.

By that measure, every method of rendering is "fake frames", even raster, as a frame needs to be generated, just like an inserted frame is "generated" - Just with an AI training model in this context.

Again, at this level of visual quality and performance, if you removed all labels and told someone to play it, they'd never know it was actually "fake frames", at least not on a 4090 anyway lol.

Last edited:
As said earlier, if it looks and feels good and real, then who even cares? All this "fake frames" nonsense is really pushing a bad vibe on the whole technology which is actually making things that would otherwise not be possible, possible.

By that measure, every method of rendering is "fake frames", even raster, as a frame needs to be generated, just like an inserted frame is "generated" - Just with an AI training model in this context.

Again, at this level of visual quality and performance, if you rmeoved all labels and told someone to play it, they'd never know it was actually "fake frames", at least not on a 4090 anyway lol.

I don't disagree but sadly the problem with upscaling and now frame gen is that devs are 100% relying on this as a way to "optimise" games so we are naturally not getting as good of performance as what we could be and sadly the ones without frame gen suffer the most now..... AW 2 does look to be well optimised though in the sense, it is very scalable when you are using the appropriate settings for what said hardware is capable of.

Last edited:

FG on:
YHZaGPB.jpg

FG off:
EYUhLVR.jpg
You need to show more boob if you want to distract from the low res assets in the background.It looks like a tent from the original DOOM:p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom