• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RT Related Games, Benchmarks, Software, Etc Thread.

Caporegime
PCGH looks like they are updating their results now too, although only a couple of gpus atm.

Did some more testing and definitely seems that there is an issue when changing settings in game on the fly, in order to avoid this, make sure to set settings before launching the game and don't change anything during game, as I originally thought lowering a couple of settings helped with performance but in fact, it didn't really make much difference once the game relaunched.

New video with max settings and dlss quality @ 3440x1440, seems this is the first game where my 5600x is the bottleneck as gpu usage is dropping and cpu is pegged at nearly 100%. Roll on zen 4 :p Suspect a couple more patches could improve/fix it though, that or could just reduce the object count down to 6 as iirc, DF stated they hit the cpu hard but don't have much impact on IQ.

Also:

Caporegime
Techpowerup review of DLAA VS FSR 2 VS DLSS

In Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered, DLSS, DLAA and FSR 2.0 use a sharpening filter in the render path without the ability to tweak the sharpening level, and the developers decided to set the sharpening filters in those render paths to the highest available value, which results in a heavily oversharpened image even at high resolutions. The image looks grainy and too sharp, especially outdoors in the city, but less noticeable indoors and during cutscenes. Only the IGTI and native TAA image does not use any sharpening filter in the render path.

Insomniac Games, in collaboration with Nixxes Software, have implemented the newest DLSS and FSR versions, so the underlying technology has the ability to add a customizable sharpening pass, but the developers chose not to include that feature. We saw the same issues excessive sharpening values in the God of War PC port and the God of War developers patched these issues a few weeks after initial release. We hope that the Spider-Man Remastered developers will do the same in the near future.

Speaking of image quality, there are a few important issues of note. Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered is a fast paced action game, so when using any temporal upscaling solutions, the temporal stability of the image is key to enjoyable gameplay. When using DLSS or DLAA, the image with it enabled was stable in motion, the level of detail rendered in vegetation and tree leaves is improved in comparison to the in-game TAA solution and small details in the distance, such as wires or thin steel objects, are rendered more correctly and completely. The only downside with DLSS that we've discovered is the quality of some distanced textures in the game world. When swinging through the city, some objects, like billboards, might appear low-resolution. The DLAA output does not have this issue as it occurs only when using DLSS (and also FSR 2.0). We not sure if it's a wrong LOD bias setting or just a bug, as it appears individually on random textures and not on the whole image.

The FSR 2.0 implementation comes with noticeable compromises in image quality—in favor of performance in most sequences of the game. We spotted excessive shimmering and flickering on thin objects and especially steel objects; they are shimmering even when standing still. Also, the FSR 2.0 image has some visible pixelation around Spider-Man and it can be distracting in motion, especially at lower resolutions. To be fair, the in-game TAA solution also has issues with shimmering, even though FSR 2.0 uses its own anti-aliasing algorithms, and we definitely recommend using FSR 2.0 instead of TAA on GTX or AMD GPUs, to avoid the less detailed and blurry image of TAA.

Performance-wise, compared to native resolution, the DLSS and FSR 2.0 performance uplift is a great improvement to the game, and compared to DLSS 2.4 in this game, FSR 2.0 basically works identically to DLSS 2.4 in terms of performance gains across all resolutions. The DLAA solution has a performance cost of around 6%, compared to the TAA solution. Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered is a very CPU intensive game on PC, and high-powered GPUs such as the GeForce RTX 3080 can end up CPU bottlenecked in some sequences of the game, even at 1440p and below. At 4K, there is no such issue, and with DLSS or FSR 2.0 enabled, you can expect around 30% more performance in "Quality" mode with all graphics settings maxed out, which definitely helps cushion the performance penalty of enabling ray tracing.

Good to see them also mentioning the over sharpening.

Soldato
Looks like DLAA is the best. FSR 2.0 is almost unusable unless you absolutely have to because of the horrible shimmering

Last edited:
Caporegime
Looks like DLAA is the best. FSR 2.0 is almost unusable unless you absolutely have to because of the horrible shimmering

Yup it looks like the standard we can expect from FSR 2 on "launch" now, give it a few more game/driver patches and I'm sure it will get on par with dlss 2 just as dlss 1 was rubbish.

I still find it hilarious that using the injected modded fsr 2 (which uses dlss files) does a better job than the official implementation though :p

• Haha
Reactions: TNA
Caporegime
Just encountered rain in spiderman and as one would expect, it hits performance a bit more than a sunny setting given the extra RT that would be happening, some 4k and a short 3440x1440 clip to compare with the same weather conditions.

Seems performance is roughly similar between 3440x1440 and 4k here, notice how I am even cpu bottlenecked at 4k too :cry: Having said that, look at that lovely more or less flat frame latency though..... @TNA ;) :p :D

Associate
HUB Spiderman benchmarks:

Personally I still find the RT IQ very poor once you stop to look at it though.

I wonder how they ended up with such a heavy RT implementation for the port, especially when they're they're limited to poor RT hardware on the PS5.

Soldato
I wonder how they ended up with such a heavy RT implementation for the port, especially when they're they're limited to poor RT hardware on the PS5.

To be honest most of the RT we've had so far in general over the last few years has been pretty meh, Ok looking but nothing that makes my pants fall off.

Associate
To be honest most of the RT we've had so far in general over the last few years has been pretty meh, Ok looking but nothing that makes my pants fall off.
It has been very hit or miss. At its core, RT is better in almost every way compared against the current "hard coded" approach via maps, etc. but the majority of libraries are focused more on the visual shock instead of making an efficient platform.

Control was probably my favourite for RT, and there have been a handful of other games where I felt that it improved the game. I do have the benefit of an Nvidia card though.

Soldato
It has been very hit or miss. At its core, RT is better in almost every way compared against the current "hard coded" approach via maps, etc. but the majority of libraries are focused more on the visual shock instead of making an efficient platform.

Control was probably my favourite for RT, and there have been a handful of other games where I felt that it improved the game. I do have the benefit of an Nvidia card though.

I have a 2080S currently which is on loan from a friend, So have been able to play pretty much every Nvidia sponsored RT game going, Minus Spiderman, They all look good but nothing that makes me stop in my tracks and say "Woah!".

Associate
I have a 2080S currently which is on loan from a friend, So have been able to play pretty much every Nvidia sponsored RT game going, Minus Spiderman, They all look good but nothing that makes me stop in my tracks and say "Woah!".
Agreed, I wouldn’t say it’s a wow factor, although the first time I saw it it was impressive.

Mainly I enjoy the general atmosphere it creates in darker environments, but still dislike the fact that publishers are leaning on brute force via hardware instead of optimising the engines, and that’s not just with RT.

Soldato
Agreed, I wouldn’t say it’s a wow factor, although the first time I saw it it was impressive.

Mainly I enjoy the general atmosphere it creates in darker environments, but still dislike the fact that publishers are leaning on brute force via hardware instead of optimising the engines, and that’s not just with RT.

I find RT like when the first 120hz monitors came out. When I started using the 120hz monitors, I thought they were fine, but, wasn't really sure they were worth the price over a 60Hz monitor. But, when I went back to using a 60Hz monitor, it was then I really noticed how good 120hz actually was.

It's the same with RT for me. I haven't found the differences to be jaw dropping on play a play through of games like Control or Metro Exodus. But, when I went back and played the same games with RT disabled, the games looked flat.

We are still a generation or two away from having the GPU grunt to go full RT in games, for now the effects are much more subtle.

Caporegime
^^

Exactly my experience too. Perfect example being RDR 2, going through another play through and as we all know, it is arguably one of the best games for shadows, lighting, reflections but if your eyes know what to look for, it is extremely jarring seeing the rasterization shortfalls after coming from games like cp 2077, chernobylite, metro ee, for myself, that is immersion breaking.

Obviously it depends on what game you play e.g. sottr and wow are probably the worst ones but if you look at cp 2077, chernobylite, metro ee, control, the ascent you get to see what RT is really capable of. One of my favourites, which doesn't use a lot of RT as it's amd sponsored but it suits the art style and game setting extremely well is riftbreaker.

The main thing is when it comes to developers workflows though, for us we get better graphics (and if done from the ground up like metro ee, performance can be better than rasterization, even on rdna 2) but for them, it requires substantially less effort and time, which in return = less money required from a project budget POV, that's why we are seeing so many game development studios trying to squeeze in RT where they can now.

Spiderman has just received a patch, not tried it yet:

Release Notes

• Fixed various ray-tracing related crashes.
  • Improved Windows version check, to prevent false positives.
  • Visual improvements to HBAO+.
  • Fixed the issue where ray-traced reflections in stainless steel were rendered distorted.
  • Various visual improvements to NVIDIA DLSS.
  • Fixed an issue that could freeze the game if the player would switch between graphics presets during cut-scenes.
  • Fixed an issue where the Side Mission popups would be stretched when playing in a widescreen resolution.
  • Improvements related to stability issues when using Alt-Tab.
  • Fixed various visual glitches.
Known Issues

• Ray-tracing options may be unavailable in the menu, even with compatible hardware.
    Ray-tracing is disabled when hardware or drivers are not compatible, or when the DirectX 12 Agility SDK is not functional. We have seen some reports of users that indicate this SDK is not working for them. We are investigating this issue.
  • Some players cannot progress during the Spider-Hack Mission.
    This is a frame rate related bug that only occurs when well above 60 FPS. While we work on a fix, we have a workaround in place. Restart the latest checkpoint, go to the Graphics Menu, set the game to Exclusive Fullscreen and the Refresh Rate to 60Hz. You should now be able to progress. Afterwards you can switch back to your preferred settings.
  • Some players cannot take a picture of the Empire State Building.
    Some players have reported being unable to take a photo of the Empire State Building, blocking progression. So far, we have only been able to reproduce this on Intel GPUs. Intel is investigating this issue.

Also, PCGH have got their benchmarks uploaded:

HXoPndC.png

What's happening to the 6600xt there :eek:

Apparently turning off SMT solves the ryzen perf. issues, not tried myself though since my frame latency is nice and flat as is already..... ;) :p :D

Caporegime
Another game getting RT love :cool:

Ghostbusters: Spirits Unleashed will have Ray Tracing effects, PC Requirements revealed

Will probably be very light though, either only reflections or shadows or AO going by the recommended specs:

LRytPf4.png

Developers are loving RT

SilverFloweryIchidna-size_restricted.gif

:D

Soldato
^^

Exactly my experience too. Perfect example being RDR 2, going through another play through and as we all know, it is arguably one of the best games for shadows, lighting, reflections but if your eyes know what to look for, it is extremely jarring seeing the rasterization shortfalls after coming from games like cp 2077, chernobylite, metro ee, for myself, that is immersion breaking.

Obviously it depends on what game you play e.g. sottr and wow are probably the worst ones but if you look at cp 2077, chernobylite, metro ee, control, the ascent you get to see what RT is really capable of. One of my favourites, which doesn't use a lot of RT as it's amd sponsored but it suits the art style and game setting extremely well is riftbreaker.

The main thing is when it comes to developers workflows though, for us we get better graphics (and if done from the ground up like metro ee, performance can be better than rasterization, even on rdna 2) but for them, it requires substantially less effort and time, which in return = less money required from a project budget POV, that's why we are seeing so many game development studios trying to squeeze in RT where they can now.

Spiderman has just received a patch, not tried it yet:

Also, PCGH have got their benchmarks uploaded:

HXoPndC.png

What's happening to the 6600xt there :eek:

Apparently turning off SMT solves the ryzen perf. issues, not tried myself though since my frame latency is nice and flat as is already..... ;) :p :D

Remember when Nvidia said the 3070 was faster than the 2080ti, yeah I remember

Back
Top Bottom