• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RT Related Games, Benchmarks, Software, Etc Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime

You're looking at GI in that ^^^ but reflections work in the same way, its screen space, its a form of RT, software RT. Its been around for a long time now, i think it first appeared in Farcy 3 and Dirt Showdown, the dynamic reflections in the car paint, then Crysis 3, something AMD was working on a t the time, its still in their developer SDK's, along with a lot of other stuff.

Sorry but that looks rather **** if I'm honest..... The lighting does not look anywhere near as good as the GI we have seen in other games released these days. But need to see what light sources there are, is it just the sun and that street pole light? The tree trunks and bottom leaves of the tree being complete black in some of those areas is not realistic at all. It looks like one of those crap ENB reshades which blows out highlights and crushes shadow detail/darker areas. Also, how does it work if you add more light sources? Is this done automatically for you in terms of light bouncing and direction of where the light is coming from and so on?

Caporegime
Sorry but that looks rather **** if I'm honest..... The lighting does not look anywhere near as good as the GI we have seen in other games released these days. But need to see what light sources there are, is it just the sun and that street pole light? The tree trunks and bottom leaves of the tree being complete black in some of those areas is not realistic at all. It looks like one of those crap ENB reshades which blows out highlights and crushes shadow detail/darker areas. Also, how does it work if you add more light sources? Is this done automatically for you in terms of light bouncing and direction of where the light is coming from and so on?

You're attacking my work :eek: not my argument :p

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Lighting is one thing, but just like all those RTX Remix games like Doom RT etc, the engine sare just too old and the textures too crap to be the level of fidelity that we have in more modern games like Cyberpunk or now with games like Hellblade 2 using UE5.4, the only game using 5.4 might I add that's currently out. Both games look and run great if you have the HW, and whilst UE5.4 isn't path traced currently, nor does it have ray reconstruction, once Nvidia have put that stuff in, things will take another leap in the visuals department as none of the quirks of just normal RT apply to ray reconstructed PT which adds another level of realism and cleanliness that normal RT can never have, let alone screen space lighting done by hand.

To me those Crysis 3 textures look terrible for modern age, there's no polishing turd in that regards, you can literally see the 2d map layers of each tree "branch" with leaves, like how fire in some games is just a 2D layer that "follows" your point of view as the camera moves around. It looks jarring and unconvincing. Compare that with the foliage in Alan Wake 2 and to some extent Hellblade 2 even with its software Lumen implementation, every individual leaf casts its own shadow and depending on the light source's distance from the leaf, the shadow cast is diffused in a convincing way like you would expect in real life.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Lighting is one thing, but just like all those RTX Remix games like Doom RT etc, the engine sare just too old and the textures too crap to be the level of fidelity that we have in more modern games like Cyberpunk or now with games like Hellblade 2 using UE5.4, the only game using 5.4 might I add that's currently out. Both games look and run great if you have the HW, and whilst UE5.4 isn't path traced currently, nor does it have ray reconstruction, once Nvidia have put that stuff in, things will take another leap in the visuals department as none of the quirks of just normal RT apply to ray reconstructed PT which adds another level of realism and cleanliness that normal RT can never have, let alone screen space lighting done by hand.

To me those Crysis 3 textures look terrible for modern age, there's no polishing turd in that regards, you can literally see the 2d map layers of each tree "branch" with leaves, like how fire in some games is just a 2D layer that "follows" your point of view as the camera moves around. It looks jarring and unconvincing. Compare that with the foliage in Alan Wake 2 and to some extent Hellblade 2 even with its software Lumen implementation, every individual leaf casts its own shadow and depending on the light source's distance from the leaf, the shadow cast is diffused in a convincing way like you would expect in real life.

Both games look and run great if you have the HW

What does this even mean? More 34 FPS slides for anything under £1000?

What looks good is incredibly subjective, no one gives a #### about individual leaves casting shadows, other than influencers pointing it out when no one noticed it because visual quality is a very much broader spectrum than that for the vast majority of people who are also going to think you're being a bit silly for pointing at leaf shadows.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It means if you have a GPU that can do ray tracing properly then yes, the quality is excellent as is performance when combined with tech like SER/Ray Reconstruction and now, ReSTIR GI. I'm not sure why you keep mentioning influencers, nobody rational gives a hoot about what social media people say, what matters is the actual results and the NV tech gets those results consistently.

I pointed out leaf shadows because it's one obvious and direct example anyone can fire up any of these games and experience for themselves without having to look at zoomed in videos and screenshots.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It means if you have a GPU that can do ray tracing properly then yes, the quality is excellent as is performance when combined with tech like SER/Ray Reconstruction and now, ReSTIR GI. I'm not sure why you keep mentioning influencers, nobody rational gives a hoot about what social media people say, what matters is the actual results and the NV tech gets those results consistently.

I pointed out leaf shadows because it's one obvious and direct example anyone can fire up any of these games and experience for themselves without having to look at zoomed in videos and screenshots.
So this is my point, if this is a £1000 GPU then no one is going to care because no one spends £1000 on a GPU.

A lot of people will buy a game like that because it might also be a great game but for a lot of others its just something that end's up on their steam wish lists because they want to experience it as its being marketed and right now they can't.
-----------

On a side note, they did almost nothing to the Crysis 3 Remastered, because the lighting is already that good, what IMO they should have done is completely reskinned it with modern updated textures.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
But that's also the flipside point, Crysis 1 remained the benchmark GPU killer for many many years and earned its "But can it run Crysis" meme. Likewise path tracing and ray tracing games are the modern equivelant of what Crysis was back then. No GPU at the time of Crysis launch could run the game well at the highest settings, nothing. People complained then, Just like people complain now when there isn't a GPU in the £500 range that can run RT well enough for the expectations that a pocket of people online seem to have.

The long and short of the matter is that if you want to run modern game engine tech well, you need to pay the premium for it. I don't know why this is a surprise for people, this has been the case since the RTX 20 series. Both AMD and Nvidia have hiked prices and there is no going back from that for either brand.

High end GPUs are still selling well regardless of prices, the 4070 Ti performs better than a 3090, a GPU that a typical 4070 Ti buyer would never have bought due to the 3090's rather insane price at launch which was £1400 vs the 4070 Ti's £700.

I was gaming at 60fps on a 3080 Ti at 1440p with ray tracing, and a 4070 Ti walks all over that card for less money.

Caporegime
But that's also the flipside point, Crysis 1 remained the benchmark GPU killer for many many years and earned its "But can it run Crysis" meme. Likewise path tracing and ray tracing games are the modern equivelant of what Crysis was back then. No GPU at the time of Crysis launch could run the game well at the highest settings, nothing. People complained then, Just like people complain now when there isn't a GPU in the £500 range that can run RT well enough for the expectations that a pocket of people online seem to have.

The long and short of the matter is that if you want to run modern game engine tech well, you need to pay the premium for it. I don't know why this is a surprise for people, this has been the case since the RTX 20 series. Both AMD and Nvidia have hiked prices and there is no going back from that for either brand.

High end GPUs are still selling well regardless of prices, the 4070 Ti performs better than a 3090, a GPU that a typical 4070 Ti buyer would never have bought due to the 3090's rather insane price at launch which was £1400 vs the 4070 Ti's £700.

I was gaming at 60fps on a 3080 Ti at 1440p with ray tracing, and a 4070 Ti walks all over that card for less money.

A high end CPU capable of running Crysis 1 was about $300 in todays money, even today that will get you a very capable gaming CPU.

Ok... A 4070 Ti is £750, TPU have this 4K capable card in the low 20's FPS in Cyberpunk, the high 40's at 1440P, junk level performance, £750. Why should i care about RT?

Last edited:
Caporegime
You know.... i have a £450 GPU these days and i run everything, including my favourite game at 4K native, easily.

I think HDR is the biggest enhancement to image quality we have seen it recent years.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
4070 Ti is as little as £600 (example, MSI Ventus 2x OC 12GB at numerous competitors), not £750

TPU? Are you just looking at raster numbers again and ignoring DLSS and beyond?

Because...

1440p with no DLSS, with Path Tracing = 26fps
1440p with DLSS Quality, with Path Tracing = 44-52fps
1440p with DLSS Balanced, with Path Tracing = 50-61fps
1440p with DLSS Performance, with Path Tracing = 60fps+
1440p with DLSS Quality with Frame Gen, with Path Tracing = ~70fps+

Now keep in mind this video is over a year old, this was before ray reconstruction was what it is now, without ReSTIR GI, and without DLSS dll version 3.7 which further improves DLSS quality with Preset E, so the quality of DLSS and the framerates are even higher today vs a year ago.

e:
Your view seems to be solely based on incorrect figures and an outdated knowledge of performance numbers.

The 4070 Ti is not even marketed as a 4K card, it is a 1440p card.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
What part of a number of competitors do you not understand? You can literally find multiple big name stores that have the card cheaper than OcUK at the price I quoted as that's the 2 second search I just did.

Caporegime
What part of a number of competitors do you not understand? You can literally find multiple big name stores that have the card cheaper than OcUK at the price I quoted as that's the 2 second search I just did.

Oh i see it.... its an interesting card, almost looks like it has a CNC'd billet style cooler on this 290 watt GPU.

i can see why its so discounted.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I have an RT card, its my second RT card, i didn't buy the first one for RT, i didn't buy this one for RT, tho its much more useful in that sense than the last one ever was and i'm not going to get anything better from anyone for what i paid for it, brand new.

Maybe i'll buy the next one for RT, it depends...

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Oh i see it.... its an interesting card, almost looks like it has a CNC'd billet style cooler on this 290 watt GPU.

i can see why its so discounted.

I have the ventus. I barely even hear the fan. The card typically runs under 140w with my profile.

Who here runs their card stock in 2024?

Associate
I have an RT card, its my second RT card, i didn't buy the first one for RT, i didn't buy this one for RT, tho its much more useful in that sense than the last one ever was and i'm not going to get anything better from anyone for what i paid for it, brand new.

Maybe i'll buy the next one for RT, it depends...

You have a RT sticker on a card. It’s non functional for practical use cases.

RT is a technology stack with a multiple layers of implementation options, depth and impact.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom