• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 56 Owners Thread

Associate
Deffo the CPU in a slack handful of games like Kingdom Come and Metro Ex mate...I was not willing to drop circa 400 quid just to upgrade the majority of my rig to bring my 1% lows in a few games up from 30's and 40's. Most games I play were fine on my 2500k @ 4.9ghz. I am however impressed with the 2600k I have dropped in my rig tonight. Running at 4.7ghz, Shadow of the Tomb Raider is 11fps higher and the lows are much higher. Far cry 5 was also noticeably better performance. Both games maintained above 60 frames per second at 1920 x 1080 highest settings.

I'm interested in your improvement in KCD with your 2600k.

Also what kind of boost do you get with r_BatchType = 1 and do you have to put it in every time?

Associate
That 2500K was/is a beast when overclocked. Had one from 2011 to 2017, well worth the money!

Back on topic, I'm fiddling with my core voltage, see if I can scoop more than 100mV off it but it doesn't seem to improve anything power draw or frequency wise. Still, fun to muck about with it! :D

Associate

Also what kind of boost do you get with r_BatchType = 1 and do you have to put it in every time?
I went from a 2500k to a 2600 over a year ago because of kingdom come, in towns it would stutter like hell on the 2500k. the 2600 fixed this, and minimums went up by about double.
This video shows roughly the same and is in the least demanding town (starting village)

Associate

Andrew...Kingdom Come Deliverance, in response to your performance query. Comparing to my previous post https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/the-rx-vega-56-owners-thread.18789712/page-143, about half way down. Same settings, same reshade, same resolution etc my 4.9ghz 2500k compared to my 4.7ghz 2600k. Looking at the fire in the dark, lower Rattay increase from 62fps to 87fps. Looking out over the fields and trees same place increase from 56fps to 92fps. Mid sprint through Rattay up from 52fps to 72fps. I could not be bothered comparing running through the forest on the horse.

With my “new” 4.6ghz 2600k. Looking at the town walls in lower Rattay My Vega 56 (overclocked to 1637 core 945 HBM) hits 98% load, I get actual in game gpu clocks of 1561/945. My cpu usage 4 cores and 4 threads sit at 70%, 55%, 61%, 58%, 58%, 48% and 77% (reported as 60% combined across all cores and threads). This shows me (in this game and scenario at least) that I am GPU bound, even with an old overclocked 2600k, I would love to have access to a save game to allow me to provide results on the 1st major battle in the game. My 4.9ghz 2500k deffo did struggle during this part of the game. Being mindful however (from memory) that whilst my fps were dropping to sometimes sub 30's during this battle, with my aforementioned gains going from the 2500k to the 2600k. I would be as bold as to say the 2600K would fair much better possibly maintaining at best mid 50fps, and at worst sporadic dips into the mid 40fps?

All in all I am glad I bought a second hand 2600k for 60 quid rather than spending circa 400 quid on a Ryzen 3600 CPU, motherboard and memory upgrade. I think the main thing this shows is that the 2500k / 2600k were overkill on their release all those years ago, and quite frankly even today the 2600k is still a more than capable cpu for 60fps gaming. Which quite frankly is what the majority of people still game at, excluding e sports etc.

Regarding the “r_BatchType = 1” mate, yes it makes a big difference, my gpu usage and core clock both increase with the command. Looking over the fields of Rattay I get an increase of circa 25fps. It is something to do with CryEngine not utilizing Vega to its full extent, have a read up its quite interesting. It has to be added everytime you play the game via the in game cosole, however you might be able to add it as a command line direct to the games shortcut?

Soldato
...Kingdom Come Deliverance, in response to your performance query. Comparing to my previous post https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/the-rx-vega-56-owners-thread.18789712/page-143, about half way down. Same settings, same reshade, same resolution etc my 4.9ghz 2500k compared to my 4.7ghz 2600k. Looking at the fire in the dark, lower Rattay increase from 62fps to 87fps. Looking out over the fields and trees same place increase from 56fps to 92fps. Mid sprint through Rattay up from 52fps to 72fps. I could not be bothered comparing running through the forest on the horse.

With my “new” 4.6ghz 2600k. Looking at the town walls in lower Rattay My Vega 56 (overclocked to 1637 core 945 HBM) hits 98% load, I get actual in game gpu clocks of 1561/945. My cpu usage 4 cores and 4 threads sit at 70%, 55%, 61%, 58%, 58%, 48% and 77% (reported as 60% combined across all cores and threads). This shows me (in this game and scenario at least) that I am GPU bound, even with an old overclocked 2600k, I would love to have access to a save game to allow me to provide results on the 1st major battle in the game. My 4.9ghz 2500k deffo did struggle during this part of the game. Being mindful however (from memory) that whilst my fps were dropping to sometimes sub 30's during this battle, with my aforementioned gains going from the 2500k to the 2600k. I would be as bold as to say the 2600K would fair much better possibly maintaining at best mid 50fps, and at worst sporadic dips into the mid 40fps?

All in all I am glad I bought a second hand 2600k for 60 quid rather than spending circa 400 quid on a Ryzen 3600 CPU, motherboard and memory upgrade. I think the main thing this shows is that the 2500k / 2600k were overkill on their release all those years ago, and quite frankly even today the 2600k is still a more than capable cpu for 60fps gaming. Which quite frankly is what the majority of people still game at, excluding e sports etc.

Regarding the “r_BatchType = 1” mate, yes it makes a big difference, my gpu usage and core clock both increase with the command. Looking over the fields of Rattay I get an increase of circa 25fps. It is something to do with CryEngine not utilizing Vega to its full extent, have a read up its quite interesting. It has to be added everytime you play the game via the in game cosole, however you might be able to add it as a command line direct to the games shortcut?

Exactly I still have a 2600k, a 3570k sat in a box I use a 3770k in my htpc and 4770k on main pc.
I always advise people to try and find a 2600/3770/4770/4790 if they are using an I5, providing you pay a reasonable amount for the cpu.

Soldato
Anyone had one of these since release and had it running the Vega64 bios for higher memory clocks, and power limits??

Mine had worked fine for like 2 years but now it keeps crashing at idle, flashed back to Vega56 bios and it seems stable again. Shame :( I guess i wore my HBM out? A little strange though because it can still run all games and stress tests at 945mhz (1190mhz still works too), its just idle thats the issue.

Associate
Anyone had one of these since release and had it running the Vega64 bios for higher memory clocks, and power limits??

Mine had worked fine for like 2 years but now it keeps crashing at idle, flashed back to Vega56 bios and it seems stable again. Shame :( I guess i wore my HBM out? A little strange though because it can still run all games and stress tests at 945mhz (1190mhz still works too), its just idle thats the issue.

As my previous posts I have not tried to flash my 56 to a 64, my 56 pulse has the cooling capacity and the dual bios to make it a simple process too. I have seen synthetic benchmark comparisons showing 20% gains, and I have seen real life 2 or 3 fps increases playing Metro Exodus; against stock. Flash your 56 to a 64 and most cards will have to have the core clock reduced because the additional volts for the HBM will increase the hotspot temp too much.

Soldato
As my previous posts I have not tried to flash my 56 to a 64, my 56 pulse has the cooling capacity and the dual bios to make it a simple process too. I have seen synthetic benchmark comparisons showing 20% gains, and I have seen real life 2 or 3 fps increases playing Metro Exodus; against stock. Flash your 56 to a 64 and most cards will have to have the core clock reduced because the additional volts for the HBM will increase the hotspot temp too much.

mine is watercooled, but yes, under air it wouldn't really work.

Associate
Not one to usually trash a driver update but the new Adrenaline 19.12.2 has gimped my card. Could run 900mhz HBM before now it will only just do about 850 without artifacts. Power draw is up too, hopefully just early teething problems. They have changed the UI too and i dont like it.

Associate
I just built my pc with 2 vega 56 Nitros (one is the LM version). Tried crossfire with the 2019 addrenaline 19.9.2 i think, worked brilliantly.

Then tried the new drivers 19.12.2 and just wont work on any supporting game. The game wont load and crash. Had to DDU the drivers and install again the 2019 version.

Games tried witcher 3, tomb raider 13 so far.

Is crossfire not working on the new drivers?

Associate
Not one to usually trash a driver update but the new Adrenaline 19.12.2 has gimped my card. Could run 900mhz HBM before now it will only just do about 850 without artifacts. Power draw is up too, hopefully just early teething problems. They have changed the UI too and i dont like it.

My Wattman profile loaded and was stable on 19.12.2 but gpu boost was lower and I lost 4 fps on the Borderlands 3 benchmark so looks like some OC behaviour has changed. The ability to set P states as maximum and minimum has also gone. I have reverted back to 19.12.1 for now.

Associate
My Wattman profile loaded and was stable on 19.12.2 but gpu boost was lower and I lost 4 fps on the Borderlands 3 benchmark so looks like some OC behaviour has changed. The ability to set P states as maximum and minimum has also gone. I have reverted back to 19.12.1 for now.

Reverted also and everything is back to normal. Probably let the drivers mature through a few versions first. I really hate the new UI though. Thought the previous version was really sleek.

Associate
Reverted also and everything is back to normal. Probably let the drivers mature through a few versions first. I really hate the new UI though. Thought the previous version was really sleek.

It was harder to navigate but I guess that will improve with familiarity. I didn't like the way all the OC settings were initially hidden and the sliders and dials were awful. Credit to AMD for adding in all the new features which will benefit the older cards more than ours just now, although the 56 is heading that way :mad:

Back
Top Bottom