• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Associate
Yeah I was having a play Shiari and here's my settings for the Heaven bench I uploaded today. I noticed locking off the lower power states prevented some dips and hitches in the run as it didn't switch to lower power states in scene transitions. However this is incredibly power hungry and I was seeing 360W with Afterburner W rating in testing (AB off for the actual run). Obviously mines waterblocked so Fan states are off and the Liquid BIOS temp restrictions in place.

CurrentHeavenBench.PNG

Oh nice, you actually managed above 2500. Guess that's a challenge for later ... I should play with OverdriveNTool again!

Associate
Hi guys just looking for some help I've just purchased one of these and was wondering what's the recommended settings to run one of these at or are they ok to just run out of the box. Currently in overclock mode switch on GPU and drivers are at 18.9.1. Running it along with a Ryzen 7 2700 and have a 850w psu if that information is needed and gaming on a 1440p monitor. Thanks

Edit Running on air aswell

Associate
Hi guys just looking for some help I've just purchased one of these and was wondering what's the recommended settings to run one of these at or are they ok to just run out of the box. Currently in overclock mode switch on GPU and drivers are at 18.9.1. Running it along with a Ryzen 7 2700 and have a 850w psu if that information is needed and gaming on a 1440p monitor. Thanks

Edit Running on air aswell

Come on, this was discussed just a few posts before yours ...

Start trying these settings: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32057078/ - it overclocks the memory but also lowers the voltage which should help with temperatures and noise.

Associate
Come on, this was discussed just a few posts before yours ...

Start trying these settings: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32057078/ - it overclocks the memory but also lowers the voltage which should help with temperatures and noise.

I have seen the settings beforehand but was asking if they ok to run from out of the box as I am not a expert in overclocking undervolting etc. You also say start with these how would I go about knowing if anything needs changing after I have inputted these settings?

Associate
I have seen the settings beforehand but was asking if they ok to run from out of the box as I am not a expert in overclocking undervolting etc. You also say start with these how would I go about knowing if anything needs changing after I have inputted these settings?

Out of the box Vega gets too much voltage (for most anyway). Chances are with those settings are per that screenshot you'll be running just fine with higher performance, and it won't be as hot as it gets on stock.

If those settings are causing you trouble you can try to either lower the memory clock to say 1075 (that screenshot has it at 1100) or increase the voltages a bit (the 1000, 1030 and 1080 values, bump 'm each by say 20 - 20mV), and repeat that if you're still having trouble.

Associate
Out of the box Vega gets too much voltage (for most anyway). Chances are with those settings are per that screenshot you'll be running just fine with higher performance, and it won't be as hot as it gets on stock.

If those settings are causing you trouble you can try to either lower the memory clock to say 1075 (that screenshot has it at 1100) or increase the voltages a bit (the 1000, 1030 and 1080 values, bump 'm each by say 20 - 20mV), and repeat that if you're still having trouble.
ok thanks for the help

Edit***So I have tried the settings above and ran Firestrike and observing through GPU-z. I'm getting a score of 23500 but it seems my GPU core clock only maxed out at 1590??? Also GPU only power draw says 322w at max while running Firestrike is this correct? But then after a second run it maxed out at 1086w so not sure. Memory clock is hitting the 1100 as set. Temps are fine max was 68c. Don't know if this is correct it says board power limit is 260w.
Also for some reason it says the HBM temperature hit 2049c surely this is wrong

Like I said I'm kind of the noob at overclocking just wanting to get the best out of my card

Last edited:
Associate
First up Core Frequency settings aren't hard settings like with previous cards. They are theoretical boost settings so if you mismatch Frequency and Voltage for P7 for instance, it'll only achieve the Frequency that Voltage can support. This can be easily seen when disabling the lower power states and just using P7, setting the Frequency to 1750MHz and the voltage to 950mV which will limit the actual frequency to ~1490MHz on my GPU.

The HBM frequency is where you'll make the most gains so I'd push that first up to 1050MHz, then 1100MHz. There's a hard cap at 1200MHz though not many cards work at that level. Mine doesn't like anything much past 1130MHz for instance.

Then there's power. The base driver allows for +50% power which will limit your OC potential, however if you are looking for a 24/7 overclock I wouldn't recommend going above 50% anyway as Vega is more efficient down at 1100mV for the most part for max return on power/performance.

Associate
First up Core Frequency settings aren't hard settings like with previous cards. They are theoretical boost settings so if you mismatch Frequency and Voltage for P7 for instance, it'll only achieve the Frequency that Voltage can support. This can be easily seen when disabling the lower power states and just using P7, setting the Frequency to 1750MHz and the voltage to 950mV which will limit the actual frequency to ~1490MHz on my GPU.

The HBM frequency is where you'll make the most gains so I'd push that first up to 1050MHz, then 1100MHz. There's a hard cap at 1200MHz though not many cards work at that level. Mine doesn't like anything much past 1130MHz for instance.

Then there's power. The base driver allows for +50% power which will limit your OC potential, however if you are looking for a 24/7 overclock I wouldn't recommend going above 50% anyway as Vega is more efficient down at 1100mV for the most part for max return on power/performance.

First up Core Frequency settings aren't hard settings like with previous cards. They are theoretical boost settings so if you mismatch Frequency and Voltage for P7 for instance, it'll only achieve the Frequency that Voltage can support. This can be easily seen when disabling the lower power states and just using P7, setting the Frequency to 1750MHz and the voltage to 950mV which will limit the actual frequency to ~1490MHz on my GPU (but how do I disable p6 I can only set as minimum or maximum state?? and then in p7 you are suggesting to put for example 1650mhz and voltage control at for example 1050mv and just keep pushing the voltage up till hit hit the overclock of 1650mhz?

The HBM frequency is where you'll make the most gains so I'd push that first up to 1050MHz, then 1100MHz. There's a hard cap at 1200MHz though not many cards work at that level. Mine doesn't like anything much past 1130MHz for instance (the memory is fine at 1100mhz at a voltage of 1080mv I'm able to hit that)

Then there's power. The base driver allows for +50% power which will limit your OC potential, however if you are looking for a 24/7 overclock I wouldn't recommend going above 50% anyway as Vega is more efficient down at 1100mV for the most part for max return on power/performance (I had it set at +25%)

Associate
No point having power set below +50% or you can get inaccurate data on the other variables.

For HBM the voltage value is nothing to do with voltage. I set it to 900 or 950mV (950 is stock). It doesn't affect the HBM voltage and acts more like a minimum voltage for the core not the HBM.

For P7 set the value to 1650MHz and have it at 1050mV. Then move the voltage up until you hit the peak of that value (not under 100% load it will likely not hit the set value and be a bit below it when at max voltage efficiency). You'll notice the max when you continue increasing voltage and getting no further benefit, run into a power limit or start getting artifacts or black screening if the voltage is too high. Don't go above 1250mV either. No benefit.

Associate
Yeah that graphics score is pretty much where it should be (keep in mind the people in Firestrike Standard Bench Thread. have made an effort to get as much out of it as possible). You can probably achieve a bit more still, but if you're looking for a 24/7 overclock don't bother with that.
Pretty much, I've run into power distribution limitations when running 1750MHz core and 1130MHz memory. The numbers fluctuate and I can hit close to 400W draw if unlimited but I get little performance increase to the point it varies depending on the heat of the HBM. Too hot and it'll underperform, so much so I'd have to bench at night and with fans on 50% at least to get at or past my current high score. The hotter the HBM gets the more power it draws but slower it performs which hinders the Core performance even if it's still performing high at or above 1700MHz actual.

Soldato
Pretty much, I've run into power distribution limitations when running 1750MHz core and 1130MHz memory. The numbers fluctuate and I can hit close to 400W draw if unlimited but I get little performance increase to the point it varies depending on the heat of the HBM. Too hot and it'll underperform, so much so I'd have to bench at night and with fans on 50% at least to get at or past my current high score. The hotter the HBM gets the more power it draws but slower it performs which hinders the Core performance even if it's still performing high at or above 1700MHz actual.

Try these

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32069197/

I almost hit 27000 on firestrike but at 320W.

Associate
Hi everyone,

This is a bit of a guide for new Vega owners and hopefully a starting point in finding what your best settings are, note that the best setting might not be your top bench score as you need to consider a multitude of factors (power) (Heat) (performance).

First off it appears somewhat clear that nearly every card is different, with so many factors at play it will leave you scratching your head asking why someones settings don't work for you, it will take a bit longer but don't just throw someones settings into Watt-man and call it a day, best to start from the beginning and work towards your best settings.

Now my Vega 64 is on water, so heat is not a major concern for me but the settings below pull around 215-230 watts of power....I can add about 50 watts of power to get an extra frame maybe 2 in heaven but it adds 2-3c of heat and with heat comes fan noise, so i trade off a little performance to reduce heat.

Few things i have noticed about my card...

1. Core clock does not add to much to the speed of the card i.e getting 50-60 extra on the core does not add to much to the overall score, you might notice i moved my P7 core upto 1637 from 1632, thats all i have done on that setting.
2.Setting the power limit to 50% will unlock a big part of the performance (but you need to consider power draw as that adds heat which in turn adds fan noise)
3. HBM overclock can add just as much as unlocking the power limit

So the best tool i find to reach my best settings is Heaven 4.0, its repeatable and will show you if your score is going up, i always let it run through once then bench on the second pass, with the settings below i score a 94.5 to 95.1 depending on the run (could not get a screen shot of that) I have also added my fire strike score on the same settings.

RdCGamd.jpg

57gIpcq.jpg

How to get to the end!!!!,

Every time you run heaven at the start press control + shift + o to bring up the overlay, keep an eye on the heat, the gpu power (watts), if the Radeon overall struggles to load then this is a good sign something it not 100% stable

1. Reset your watt-man
2. click custom
3. leave everything on auto but turn power limit to 50%
4. Bench heaven and mark down your score (this is your baseline score)

5. In Watt-man turn core clock into manual mode and reduce the voltage in P6 & P7 to 1100mv as well as the HBM voltage to the same,
6. rerun heaven mark down the score (compare to your last score, is it about the same)
7. if the drop is massive then add a bit of voltage, if its about the same drop it a bit
8. remember to adjust both P6&7 and HBM to the same voltage number to keep it simple
9. repeat step 7 until your happy with the power,heat performance vs the baseline score
10. Dont panic if you lose a frame at this point if you gain lower power and heat that's the win

11. set your HBM into manual mode set it at 1050
12. the voltage below the HBM setting should be set to the same as the P7 core voltage to keep it simple
13. Run heaven mark down score (compare to baseline)
14. if its a good pass then add a bit more to the HBM if you can get to 1100 HBM then that's great but the difference between 1080 and 1100 is not much and not worth throwing voltage at.

15. remember to save the profile in watt-man after each successful pass through heaven as if your system locks up during a run it will reset watt-man and your work will be lost.

Hope it helps someone

Extra note, you are going to lock your system up at some point doing this, don't panic and don't be put off, it will take a bit of time but in the end your Vega will be running at its best.

Last edited:
Associate
@Panos I think my card reacts differently to yours. When you mention numerous failed attempts do you mean crashes? For instance I can set my card to 1750MHz and 950mV and it runs no problem. It'll hit about 1490MHz actual at those settings. I then adjust voltage to suit what actual frequency I'm targetting. In GTA V if it goes above 1700MHz GTA falls over, so I have to keep a lower voltage there than in iRacing which can take 1750MHz core and 1130MHz HBM2 all day.

Back
Top Bottom