• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Soldato
Wondering if there's a way to mod the 8892 BIOS to have the higher HBM voltage of the LC BIOS.

8892 bios is crap. On Turbo mode is doing between 1492-1500 core speed. The 8769 is doing 1600-1610 on Turbo mode.
Same power envelop.

Also the card doesn't like the Sapphice LC BIOS (8734) even on Turbo mode.

I will stick to 8892 as is the latest.
Update.

Checked the 2nd bios on the Vega 64 ref. Is the 8770. Interesting.

Bios 1 was 8769, Bios 2 is 8770. Let see how this performs.

@TonyTurbo78 mate, which liquid bios you are using? Can be seen on GPUZ

Last edited:
Associate
Both liquid bios dont like my card even on Turbo mode, let alone overclock :/
Hence I think there are two different card types (theory I've had for a while). The LC ones and the Standard/56 ones. Those that failed the full LC testing become 64's/56's too but as a result have different requirements. Some may even have the incorrect BIOS out of the box for the best performance with those cards. Mine for instance only runs well on the 8774 or the 8734 LC BIOS. With it's stock BIOS or the other 64 Air BIOS it runs like crap or even just fails to flash properly and run.

Soldato
Hence I think there are two different card types (theory I've had for a while). The LC ones and the Standard/56 ones. Those that failed the full LC testing become 64's/56's too but as a result have different requirements. Some may even have the incorrect BIOS out of the box for the best performance with those cards. Mine for instance only runs well on the 8774 or the 8734 LC BIOS. With it's stock BIOS or the other 64 Air BIOS it runs like crap or even just fails to flash properly and run.
Well my just doesnt like to be overclocked at all. It will only do the boost speeds of 1630mhz up to 1650 if I push it but no more. I can see +1% on the core before it crashes.

Associate
Well my just doesnt like to be overclocked at all. It will only do the boost speeds of 1630mhz up to 1650 if I push it but no more. I can see +1% on the core before it crashes.
Yeah my friend has one like that. Can't change the clocks much if anything, certainly can't go higher with the stock BIOS. Though I'd be testing the different BIOS to find if it's just the BIOS your card shipped with causing the issue. Seeing as you can only flash the left position you always have the 200W profile as a backup and if you can't unlock any extra performance well, that's just the silicon lottery (which is a real bitch with these cards!). FYI my mate's card was same manufacturer as mine and sent at the same time from the same supplier here, though his was an unmoulded die and mine was a moulded one so different batches.

Soldato
Yeah my friend has one like that. Can't change the clocks much if anything, certainly can't go higher with the stock BIOS. Though I'd be testing the different BIOS to find if it's just the BIOS your card shipped with causing the issue. Seeing as you can only flash the left position you always have the 200W profile as a backup and if you can't unlock any extra performance well, that's just the silicon lottery (which is a real bitch with these cards!). FYI my mate's card was same manufacturer as mine and sent at the same time from the same supplier here, though his was an unmoulded die and mine was a moulded one so different batches.
I tried one of the LC bios to no avail. The clock speeds were too much for it and even still when it was above 1650 it failed. Oh well I'm happy that it finally stays solid at those speeds as before I fitted the new cooler the card was a nightmare for throttling.

Soldato
I'm hoping to join your ranks here soon. Just got rid of my 1080 ti and got the same for it that i paid 14 months ago.. Thanks nvidia :p. Seen a good buy on a brand new sapphire nitro+ vega 64 for around 450(second hand market is rubbish here in denmark for vega cards), thats going to leave me with around 200 pounds plus whatever i get for my s2417dg once ive sold it. Should be more than plenty for a 32inch high refresh rate display.

Soldato
I'm hoping to join your ranks here soon. Just got rid of my 1080 ti and got the same for it that i paid 14 months ago.. Thanks nvidia :p. Seen a good buy on a brand new sapphire nitro+ vega 64 for around 450(second hand market is rubbish here in denmark for vega cards), thats going to leave me with around 200 pounds plus whatever i get for my s2417dg once ive sold it. Should be more than plenty for a 32inch high refresh rate display.
Make sure it's a freesync one!

Soldato
anyone know what the difference is in the 2 bios' on the strix? google seems to indicate one supplies more power than the other but I can't find any reference to which is which (i.e. left or right position - fwiw it was in the right position out of the box)

Soldato
anyone know what the difference is in the 2 bios' on the strix? google seems to indicate one supplies more power than the other but I can't find any reference to which is which (i.e. left or right position - fwiw it was in the right position out of the box)

Yes. The left one is low power, the right one high power.
(left right as you see the card fitted on the board upside down)

Last edited:
Soldato
done a couple of runs of 3DMark (free version) using various settings that I found from trolling through this thread.....no idea if the result is good or bad - anyone comment on the below? one thing I noted was the power draw at the plug (connected to a power meter) topped out at a max of ~430W, I was expecting that to be much higher?

best score

azs1H7p.jpg
using these settings

Uv64YlS.jpg

Welcome :D
Cut some power to the card. Reduce by 50mv the P6 & P7 states and add +50%PL
It will improve the perf and cut power & heat.

Shall you wish OC the HBM to 1000-1050

yea, already got the hbm oc'd.....think I've done it correctly!

Soldato
Tbh timespy is not the best graphic benchmark as the Graphic test 2, doesn't use proper DX12 but some special Nvidia optimizations, which cripple AMD performance.
Use Firestrike as is more relevant to show the graphic performance.
do you have to pay for that though? (i'm a miserable sod and don't like paying for bench mark software!)

Back
Top Bottom