• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ryzen 5 3600 Discussion Thread

Soldato
Thought I would put this issue in here as well as the general owners’ thread.

I’m struggling to get IBT to do a full run on my 3600 with PBO on or off. The cores boost to around the 4.1 mark and temps get up to around 65-70 degrees but IBT fails because of high temperatures.

Could it be memory temp related or something else? There are no temperature spikes, at least CoreTemp doesn’t register any so I’m a bit confused.

Thanks

Permabanned
Don't use prime. It's a stupid unrealistic test that puts silly strain on your system and it doesn't even work. I have had cpus 12hr clear and crash in chrome..

Use cinebench, and aida then just use the system

Soldato
Don't use prime. It's a stupid unrealistic test that puts silly strain on your system and it doesn't even work. I have had cpus 12hr clear and crash in chrome..

Use cinebench, and aida then just use the system

Its a stupid unrealistic test thats proven to work for me for 20 years now almost and well over 2000+ builds over that time, from K6-2s to i9s. I've had plenty of cpus pass 12hrs but be unstable but 24hrs stable in 99.9% of cases means its solid. If your cpu can do something at stock but can't hack it when overclocked, don't seem 100% to me.

Permabanned
Its a stupid unrealistic test thats proven to work for me for 20 years now almost and well over 2000+ builds over that time. I've had plenty of cpus pass 12hrs but be unstable but 24hrs stable in 99.9% means its solid. If your cpu can do something at stock but can't hack it when overclocked, don't seem 100% to me.

Yep that's what I said.... have I missed something?
I said I have had CPUs 12hr stable in prime. But crash when I open chrome.. after 12hr of a brutal test i would hope a system getting onto been stable. If you open a simple app like a web browser and the system locks up then the test you have been running is Good??

No its utter ****

Permabanned
12 hours was never enough in my opinion as it dosen't run through all of the torture test in that time. Anyhow i won't convince you otherwise so i'm out.

But the 12hr systems that passed failed aida64 in 30mins. Prime is really good at testing for one type of load. No matter the packed size it's still just the same type of load

Soldato
Ideally I just wanted to try and single out whether it was IBT being picky or something else wrong, hopefully not with the CPU/MOBO. I know it’s going to be working the CPU far harder than anything I use day to day but thought it best to check all angles.

With small FFTs there were no issues at all with a 20min run however a blend run failed after about 10secs with a BSOD which I’m attributing to the RAM running higher than spec at possibly not enough volts (1.38 in the BIOS).

I’ll have a play around with settings and see what I can do.

Cheers guys for your input.

Soldato
Thought I would put this issue in here as well as the general owners’ thread.

I’m struggling to get IBT to do a full run on my 3600 with PBO on or off. The cores boost to around the 4.1 mark and temps get up to around 65-70 degrees but IBT fails because of high temperatures.

Could it be memory temp related or something else? There are no temperature spikes, at least CoreTemp doesn’t register any so I’m a bit confused.

Thanks

You sure your memory is stable? Clock it down to 3000mhz CL16 and try again.

IBT is a great stability test, and it tests the memory quite hard as well.

If a chip can't pass tests like IBT and Prime95 then it's not a stable system.

Historically I've found IBT to be the harder test to pass than Prime95 (running for the same amount of time). Prime95 takes ages to actually confirm stability. 5+ runs in IBT with 12,288MB RAM is what I always test for final clocks.

Soldato
Right now Zen2 and Overclocking don't belong in the same sentence. What you see advertised is rather more than you're ever likely to get. Maybe that will change but given the phenomenal overclocking headroom of the 1800X, 2700X I wouldn't hold your breath.

I think the days of overclocking are numbered. The speed binning process is much more precise these days and they are right up to the limit on clocks. All these boost methods are basically auto overclocking. Very smart stuff but takes away some of the tweaking we used to be able to do.

Soldato
3600 owner checking in, but having problems with my motherboard not liking more than 16Gb of ram. Will post elsewhere for help (unless someone else has a Gigabyte X470, a 3600 and >16GB that is experiencing the same issues?)

Associate
OP
@kayone thinking of making the same 1700 > 3600 jump myself and just wondering whether you think it's worth it?

Absolutely in short.

The performance is great - I really don't think you'll be disappointed in whatever you do on your PC. I game so the single core performance around gaming element seals the deal for me.

For the price to upgrade too once you've sold your 1700 (if that's what you intend to do) it's an £80 layout for the 3600 - no brainier :)

Associate
OP
@kayone ahh great stuff. My AB350m ac/itx supports it although I may hold off until the next bios update as this one is apparently a bit temperamental

I'm on the beta BiOS from MSI on my B450, but its absolutely fine so far especially with the -75mV offset.

The only issues really are CAM software wont read my cpu temp correctly, seems to be locked at 50c.

Back
Top Bottom