• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ryzen 5 3600 Discussion Thread

Associate
Having just moved from a great overclocking CPU in my R7 1700 I'm curious as to what people are achieving with their new R5 3600? I'm yet to have a proper go at mine.

What Motherboard?
What Volts?
Highest stable Clock Speed?
Temperature?
C7H

Auto

~4.35GHz, can be ACB depending on load, have also been to PBO+200MHz, but frequency bounce down can be bigger, so as current settings favour PBO+150MHz and gain more sustained all cores frequency of 4.35GHz in most loads I reckon that's sweet spot for my setup.

Usually averages ~50C max ~60C in Kahru RAM Test, averages ~67C max ~71C in RealBench, average/max ~74C P95 v29.8b3 with AVX/AVX2/FMA3/FMA4 disabled using 160K in place FFT.

The runs of CB R15/R20 has my own 2700X with PE: Default and PBO: Enabled vs R5 3600 stock, PBO+75MHz, PBO+150MHz.

aJly9gZ.jpg

62is0PO.jpg

yIYatAC.jpg

Doubt these have much headroom. Mine even runs hotter than I'd like. 75+ in IBT and 85+ in Prime 95.

I wouldn't use IBT and P95 needs config changes, read this thread from here.

@kayone thinking of making the same 1700 > 3600 jump myself and just wondering whether you think it's worth it?

I think it would be nice upgrade. Regardless of being 2c/4t lighter CPU the IPC gain makes it breath down on the older gen 8c/16t CPUs from what I've noted in some tests. Then for gaming the higher MHz & IPC gonna be sweet. On mine RAM @ 3600MHz C15 1T I can do at stock SOC, slight bump on CLDO_VDDG, VDIMM I only need 1.355V. Same RAM/MOBO with 2700X for same RAM MHz/timings, needed +175mV over stock SOC and VDIMM of 1.385V.[/spoiler][/spoiler]

Last edited:
Associate
OP
C7H

Auto

~4.35GHz, can be ACB depending on load, have also been to PBO+200MHz, but frequency bounce down can be bigger, so as current settings favour PBO+150MHz and gain more sustained all cores frequency of 4.35GHz in most loads I reckon that's sweet spot for my setup.

Usually averages ~50C max ~60C in Kahru RAM Test, averages ~67C max ~71C in RealBench, average/max ~74C P95 v29.8b3 with AVX/AVX2/FMA3/FMA4 using 160K in place FFT.

The runs of CB R15/R20 has my own 2700X with PE: Default and PBO: Enabled vs R5 3600 stock, PBO+75MHz, PBO+150MHz.
e.

Seems to be the best outcome using PBO+Boost Clock increase. What cooling are you using?

I am also seeing sub 1v vcore also now when idling.

Associate
Seems to be the best outcome using PBO+Boost Clock increase. What cooling are you using?

I am also seeing sub 1v vcore also now when idling.

EK Supremacy Evo (Acetal+Copper)
EK-XRES 100 DDC
EK DDC 3.2 PWM Pump
Magicool G2 Slim 360mm rad
3x Arctic Cooling P12

if I get a 3600 could I just set it the run the same speeds as a 3600X?

Seems like it from where I'm sitting. This ZIP has my current setup data, see the clocks in WMV. Last 6 screenies in this album show performance

Last edited:

Raz

Raz

Soldato
3600 owner checking in, but having problems with my motherboard not liking more than 16Gb of ram. Will post elsewhere for help (unless someone else has a Gigabyte X470, a 3600 and >16GB that is experiencing the same issues?)

Is that with more than 2 sticks? Did you use the tool before updating to the latest bios?

Soldato
Is that with more than 2 sticks? Did you use the tool before updating to the latest bios?

OCUK did all the bios updates for me. I have to assume that they did everything by the book (which I don't doubt).

Gigabyte release v41b bios earlier in the week and i've managed to get 2x16Gb working which is good. But any more than 2 sticks and the system hangs and doesn't go into bios. I think the next version of bios will do it but its a shame that ive had issues so early.

For what its worth, ive been gaming with the 3600 and its acted perfectly. No hesitations with recommending it if you can doge any mobo issues.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Mine seems to boosts all core to 4.025Ghz and 4.2Ghz single core, that's in Cinebench.

I'm going to leave it as is for a day or two, then start overclocking, see where i get with it.

Ok, that's similar to mine but haven't tried overclocking it yet - was much more simple with my 1600. I'll keep an eye on your updates to see how it goes :)

TrM

TrM

Associate
Is there any benefit to overclocking that isn't done with PBO?

on my 3900x which i know its not a 3600 but i think the theroy sould be the same pbo ocing on my pc was putting upto 1.4v to get to 4.1ghz allcore and single core was about 1.475v even 1.5v for 4.5ghz. my temps was idling at within 10 degress of my all core prime 95 test

manual oc allowed me to drasticly lower temps im 1.25v for all core 4.3ghz which means my idel temps mid 40s and all core stress test is is low 60s manually ocing can help with temps and also stops the whole jumping at idle as well so some benifits to manual oc
#

Raz

Raz

Soldato
OCUK did all the bios updates for me. I have to assume that they did everything by the book (which I don't doubt).

Gigabyte release v41b bios earlier in the week and i've managed to get 2x16Gb working which is good. But any more than 2 sticks and the system hangs and doesn't go into bios. I think the next version of bios will do it but its a shame that ive had issues so early.

For what its worth, ive been gaming with the 3600 and its acted perfectly. No hesitations with recommending it if you can doge any mobo issues.

Fair enough, I only ask because for bios F40 users were required to use the EC FW Update Tool to avoid any issues with Zen 2 and using more than 2 sticks. I upgraded my bios to 41b and have no problems, sorted some of the issues I had with F40 (e.g. M2 sata ports not working )

Caporegime
Just ran a Grid 2 run, 1080P Ultra with AA off to make it CPU bound.

Overclocked 3.9Ghz 1600 about 160 FPS

Stock out of the box 3600 with 2933Mhz CL16 Ram 190 FPS and a small amount of that was bouncing off the GPU limit, about 20% faster than my overclocked 1600.

Soldato
Fair enough, I only ask because for bios F40 users were required to use the EC FW Update Tool to avoid any issues with Zen 2 and using more than 2 sticks. I upgraded my bios to 41b and have no problems, sorted some of the issues I had with F40 (e.g. M2 sata ports not working )

I did see that and then thought to myself if the team in the OCUK shop knew about the EC FW tool. They did mention that there were two updates they needed to do so I assume that they did, but reading up a bit more I don't think this happened. If I want 4RAM sticks I'll need to go back to F31, but F31 then wont be compatible with the 3600.

Back
Top Bottom