• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ryzen 5 3600 Discussion Thread

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
You really should.
Agreed. The readings there look accurate.

What CPU are you using Matt and how comes we dont see any benches from you? You have a poor clocker or something? :p

Would be nice to see you participate and maybe we get some tips from you.

Any news on new chipset drivers coming out? Also why is there a difference between the chipset drivers from the mobo manufacturer and direct from AMD? Like my one does not have a Ryzen power profile so I use High Performance profile in windows.

Associate
This is old info as in its been out there for a while. RM is the correct readings, the other software is polling slower or not configured by their devs correctly.

I just don't really get it, but I'll look in to it a bit more. Everything is functioning and it easily reaches max boost speeds without any tweaking. I've heard about some Ryzen 3000 chips not reaching the advertised speed, so I'm not complaining.

I still find it a bit odd though that sometimes RM will show all cores sleeping even when I have several game clients open in the background. I've just never seen a CPU go in to full sleep mode on all cores at the same time with the PC still up and running.

I read sonewhere that CPU-Z was supposed to show the correct readings too, but it still differs to what RM shows. I know HWinfo is not entirely accurate at the moment as AFAIK.

Caporegime
I just don't really get it, but I'll look in to it a bit more. Everything is functioning and it easily reaches max boost speeds without any tweaking. I've heard about some Ryzen 3000 chips not reaching the advertised speed, so I'm not complaining.

I still find it a bit odd though that sometimes RM will show all cores sleeping even when I have several game clients open in the background. I've just never seen a CPU go in to full sleep mode on all cores at the same time with the PC still up and running.

I read sonewhere that CPU-Z was supposed to show the correct readings too, but it still differs to what RM shows. I know HWinfo is not entirely accurate at the moment as AFAIK.

The problem is the voltage polling on Zen is too fast for Windows to read, CPU-Z is even slower. RM reads polling for the clock speed and voltage as fast as Windows will allow, but it can't give you the right voltage at the exact time, even if Windows could read it its far too fast to see.
See how CPU-Z thinks i'm running 1.44v at 4.2Ghz, RM is reading "Peak Voltage" 1.426v with various cores at different speeds, the highest being 1.55Ghz, "Peak Voltage" is an important distiction, its the highest voltage at that given polling period, RM was showing 1.44v a split second before but it read a change in the volts and clock speed before CPU-Z. its why they show different readings at different times.

RM is the best monitoring tool for Ryzen.

E0VtXbM.png

Caporegime
Agreed. The readings there look accurate.

What CPU are you using Matt and how comes we dont see any benches from you? You have a poor clocker or something? :p

Would be nice to see you participate and maybe we get some tips from you.

Any news on new chipset drivers coming out? Also why is there a difference between the chipset drivers from the mobo manufacturer and direct from AMD? Like my one does not have a Ryzen power profile so I use High Performance profile in windows.
I've been swapping components around a lot recently. Was using a 1920X but just bought myself a 3900X which i am very much enjoying, it's a lovely gaming CPU.

I'm also not really interested in overclocking these much days, i would rather just use the time i have for games and what not. I tune and undervolt things and maybe overclock my Radeon VII memory a little, but that's about it these days. XFR has made overclocking redundant for the most part, just let it do its thing.

Chipset drivers from the motherboard manufacturer may include some additional software applicable to your board. I would just use the latest official ones from AMD and download any required mobo software seperately.

Caporegime
The problem is the voltage polling on Zen is too fast for Windows to read, CPU-Z is even slower. RM reads polling for the clock speed and voltage as fast as Windows will allow, but it can't give you the right voltage at the exact time, even if Windows could read it its far too fast to see.
See how CPU-Z thinks i'm running 1.44v at 4.2Ghz, RM is reading "Peak Voltage" 1.426v with various cores at different speeds, the highest being 1.55Ghz, "Peak Voltage" is an important distiction, its the highest voltage at that given polling period, RM was showing 1.44v a split second before but it read a change in the volts and clock speed before CPU-Z. its why they show different readings at different times.

RM is the best monitoring tool for Ryzen.

E0VtXbM.png
I believe the latest builds of HWINFO64 have been updated with the Ryzen SDK btw.
https://community.amd.com/community...ios-updates-for-boost-and-idle-plus-a-new-sdk

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I've been swapping components around a lot recently. Was using a 1920X but just bought myself a 3900X which i am very much enjoying, it's a lovely gaming CPU.

I'm also not really interested in overclocking these much days, i would rather just use the time i have for games and what not. I tune and undervolt things and maybe overclock my Radeon VII memory a little, but that's about it these days. XFR has made overclocking redundant for the most part, just let it do its thing.

Chipset drivers from the motherboard manufacturer may include some additional software applicable to your board. I would just use the latest official ones from AMD and download any required mobo software seperately.
Well maybe for most chips, but mine can do a hell of a lot better manually overclocking in Ryzen Master. You never know what performance you are leaving on the table ;)

Caporegime
Well maybe for most chips, but mine can do a hell of a lot better manually overclocking in Ryzen Master. You never know what performance you are leaving on the table ;)
Are you using a 3900X though? Might be different for a chip with less cores.

I'm pretty happy with the boost frequencies I'm hitting with this chip at stock.
W9XNW7g.png

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Are you using a 3900X though? Might be different for a chip with less cores.

I'm pretty happy with the boost frequencies I'm hitting with this chip at stock.
W9XNW7g.png
Nope. I am using a 3600 and from what I can see from this whole forum no one else can run theirs at 4.4GHz all core at 1.275v. I am just wondering if mine is a golden sample as 3600's goes or are the new production units just better than older ones.

Are those maximums sustained maximum though? As there is a big difference between the speed you get on small loads to proper sustained loads while say encoding. Mine can be high on stock too, but if I run Cinebench on stock then they all go to 4GHz. But then I run my 4.4GHz profile and it is more efficient in terms of total package watts used and generates less heat and obviously a 10% boost in performance to boot. I can even do 4.5GHz all core at 1.325v. It is around 4.6GHz all core it starts requiring a lot of voltage.

Caporegime
Nope. I am using a 3600 and from what I can see from this whole forum no one else can run theirs at 4.4GHz all core at 1.275v. I am just wondering if mine is a golden sample as 3600's goes or are the new production units just better than older ones.

Are those maximums sustained maximum though? As there is a big difference between the speed you get on small loads to proper sustained loads while say encoding. Mine can be high on stock too, but if I run Cinebench on stock then they all go to 4GHz. But then I run my 4.4GHz profile and it is more efficient in terms of total package watts used and generates less heat and obviously a 10% boost in performance to boot. I can even do 4.5GHz all core at 1.325v. It is around 4.6GHz all core it starts requiring a lot of voltage.
Under load in game i see around 4.275-4.375Ghz. Pretty decent i think for 12 cores and 24 threads.Stock cooler.

In lightly threaded workloads the frequency is much higher though.

Screenshot from COD MW 5120x1440 32:9
CDYwnxI.jpg

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Under load in game i see around 4.275-4.375Ghz. Pretty decent i think for 12 cores and 24 threads.Stock cooler.

In lightly threaded workloads the frequency is much higher though.

Screenshot from COD MW 5120x1440 32:9
CDYwnxI.jpg
Damn Matt, how wide do you like it? :p

I would literally have zero benefit from 6 more cores right now. I would love it don’t get me wrong, would be fun to bench, just not worth the extra money as no use case. At 4K I am massively GPU bound.

What I do like to have is a bigger clock speed when all cores are used which I get from having only 6 cores. Also less heat to deal with.

Associate
I decided to go with 3600! Finally upgrading my 2012 i5 ivy bridge.. I'm trying to stay on top of recommendations but things move quickly with new BIOS updates and what not. I'm not overclocking as current AMDs don't really gain much from it. The motherboard is coming pre-flashed to 1.0.0.4. checklist: Optimise defaults BIOS reset, anything to change in BIOS?, fresh Windows install, Ryzen power setting, I'm using nvme so hard drive sleep never or just leave it? Test temps, test RAM 24 hours, install everything! Do I need to check anything else?

Caporegime
I decided to go with 3600! Finally upgrading my 2012 i5 ivy bridge.. I'm trying to stay on top of recommendations but things move quickly with new BIOS updates and what not. I'm not overclocking as current AMDs don't really gain much from it. The motherboard is coming pre-flashed to 1.0.0.4. checklist: Optimise defaults BIOS reset, anything to change in BIOS?, fresh Windows install, Ryzen power setting, I'm using nvme so hard drive sleep never or just leave it? Test temps, test RAM 24 hours, install everything! Do I need to check anything else?

Chipset drivers. https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

Associate
Hi guys, kinda new to this, got a couple questions, on prime95 (blender stress test I believe) is it normal for this CPU to not really go over 4GHZ? Even while gaming max I've seen was 4.175 and never for too long, temps are usually on the 60 and low 70s while playing battlefield 5 (can go to higher 70s if I leave 95prime stress test for long), i have PBO on in motherboard settings and nothing else. Am I better of by just turning PBO on and leaving it or is there any settings that would help me get some extra performance (gaming mainly, don't care much about benchmark tests)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Hi guys, kinda new to this, got a couple questions, on prime95 (blender stress test I believe) is it normal for this CPU to not really go over 4GHZ? Even while gaming max I've seen was 4.175 and never for too long, temps are usually on the 60 and low 70s while playing battlefield 5 (can go to higher 70s if I leave 95prime stress test for long), i have PBO on in motherboard settings and nothing else. Am I better of by just turning PBO on and leaving it or is there any settings that would help me get some extra performance (gaming mainly, don't care much about benchmark tests)
I would not bother torturing your cpu with prime 95. Using something like OCCT is plenty good.

Yes that is normal. The 4.2GHz boost is meant to be for only 1 core when single core programs use it is my understanding. So therefor when all cores are used you do not get that high speed. I get about 4GHz on mine when all cores are fully used also when on stock.

But I just use my 4.4GHz all core overclock using Ryzen Master which means all cores are at that speed and it runs without breaking a sweat. Now whether that works for you or not will depend on the quality of the silicon you got.

I would suggest putting bios to default and getting Ryzen Master and going to manual overclock in there. Try 4.2GHz on all cores with 1.275v and click apply & test button. If it works then see if it passes blender. If it can make it past blender which takes well over 20 minutes with this cpu then you are probably good to go.

Soldato
So im going to be jumping on a 3600 around xmas as im long long long overdue an upgrade. I intend to run the 3600 until prob the end of 2020 and then pickup a 4000 series ryzen.

I do however need some help deciding on a motherboard with beefy enough VRM to tide me over for the next gen. I dont care about wifi as ill be hardwired in and i intend to run a nvme drive as a boot drive / regular software/game drive. Prob £300 is my max.

I need something i can just droo the 3600 in without any hassle, and has enough room to cover me for the next gen

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom