• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ryzen 5 3600 Discussion Thread

Associate
Just put a 3600 system together, using hwinfo the temps are really all over the place compared to ryzen master?

Using a Arctic Freezer 34 eSports cooler.

Do these readings seem in order?

Hzqfwz.jpg

Associate
Hi all,

Put a new box together a couple of weeks ago, and just got around to install windows 10 on it. The computer is built for Linux Mint primarily, but I get the feeling that this kind of tinkering needs to be done in Windows and Ryzen Master atm.

Anyway, my goal with this build is more about reaching a decent speed at a low temperature in a small box, so my idea is to find a good mix between voltage & speed. Coming from Intel (i7 4790) Ryzen Master is a new experience to me, but what I want to do is to find a good setup working in Windows with Ryzen Master that I can then apply directly in bios later.

And here is my question:
Is it really as simple as just opening Ryzen Master, setting a voltage and a speed for all cores and go? I started out with 4000Mhz and 1.2 volts and fired up Aida64 and the default stress test (a basic mix of everything it seems) and although I didn't run it for long (a couple of minutes just to get an idea) I never got any complaints whatsoever from the computer. I raised the speed to 4100Mhz, kept the voltage and ran Aida64 again with the same result. Temps went up a bit but apart from that everything went ok.

Am I missing something or is it really that simple?
- Of course I'd have to do longer runs of Aida64 to know for sure and some more experimenting with speeds/voltages to find my spot, but still... it just felt too easy.

Last edited:
Associate
so im new to ryzen and just wondered if I was doing it right

I have a 3600, corsair vengeance pro 3600 on a msi b450 gaming pro carbon ac board

I have set the xmp on, the Fclk to 1800 so a 1:1 and set the cores to a ratio of 42.

no other settings played with other than fan speeds and in cinebench im scoring 1658, temps under control and haven't had a blue screen. (owned since last November)

Soldato
I am possibly picking up a 3600 tonight.

You guys happy with it, or wishing you went 3600x?

Edit: I bought the 3600 tonight and 16gb of micro e die (crucial ballistix sport lt) so will be following this thread. Just sucks the cooler is so small with it.

Last edited:
Associate
I am possibly picking up a 3600 tonight.

You guys happy with it, or wishing you went 3600x?

Edit: I bought the 3600 tonight and 16gb of micro e die (crucial ballistix sport lt) so will be following this thread. Just sucks the cooler is so small with it.
I went for the trusty hyper 212, but went for the black one, works a treat and quiet too! (can be cheaper if you don't want RGB or even black)

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cooler-master-hyper-212-rgb-black-edition-cpu-cooler-hs-084-cm.html

Soldato
Built it this morning. So far working great.

Loaded xmp profile to get 3200, then selected 3600mhz at c16..working great so far but will test.

Have not overclocked the cpu yet. Current score in Cinebench R15 is 1565 with stock clocks, 3600 memory on stock cooler.

Soon as I'm done with getting the R5 1600 system configured/rebuilt for my daughter that I handed down to her, I will come back and clock this. (So a couple of days most likely). Excited, but will be more excited once I finally get a reasonable cooler, hopefully an AIO.. cos.. why not lol.

Last edited:
Associate
The benchmark is no good for this purpose, I could get some standard bench tools to pass but when I used Cinebench multi core it crashed the app before end to highlight it is not stable. Turn up the volts a bit then re-run.

Sorry for taking some time to reply - this Corona thing turns out to be messing with our lives these days - infected or not...

I actually downloaded Cinebench along with Aida64, but I didn't have time to try it at the moment. Now I have, and I still can't escape the feeling that I'm missing something. How long do you guys run Cinebench before you're satisfied with the result? (I assume that one pass isn't enough?)

My first tests were actually done not having figured out that I can set a minimum duration, so I just ran that one pass, starting at 4000MHz @1.25V running a pass, upping the speed, running another pass, and so on... "all the way" up to 4300MHz (3875 points multi-threaded). Temps got a bit high for 24/7 touching 85C but since I'm only testing after all...

Decided that 4300MHz was enough, and instead pulling down voltage one small step at a time all the way down to 1.2V. Haven't done much testing with that setup but I can keep 5 minutes of Cinebench, half an hour of stress test in Aida64 or about an hour re-encoding a 2160 clip to 1080 (hvec) in Handbrake without crashes. Again - temps are a bit high at 80C (My box is just shy of 12l carrying a micro atx motherboard, cpu cooler is a Noctua NH-L12S) so I'll probably have to lower speeds (and maybe voltage) a bit more.

Associate
What temp would be acceptable 24/7 on this chip?
@gosa sounds like you have a chip like @TNA which is a silicon dream.

I think you may be right. I also think this chip deserves a bigger box and better cooling...

One question though... I've seen a lot of screenshots of Cinebench where the "actual" speed is displayed instead of the stock speed... is there a difference between versions or something, because for me I always get 6C/12T @ 3.6 GHz no matter what I set. (The score goes up/down depending on what I set in Ryzen Master so at least I know the speed changes)

BTW - What would be an acceptable temp for 24/7 with the 3600?

So far I've tested stable (oh, well - "crash-less") 4300MHz @1.2V but evidently the temps get way to high... In the below screenshot I've pulled down the voltage quite a bit and it completes a 1200second run of Cinebench without crashing. Should I try to re-seat the cooler or is this expected with such a small box?

Ohh.. and don't say it - I know I went really cheap with the RAM... they are Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHz. Should have bought something faster for this CPU

b2C0CL.jpg

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

I think you may be right. I also think this chip deserves a bigger box and better cooling...

One question though... I've seen a lot of screenshots of Cinebench where the "actual" speed is displayed instead of the stock speed... is there a difference between versions or something, because for me I always get 6C/12T @ 3.6 GHz no matter what I set. (The score goes up/down depending on what I set in Ryzen Master so at least I know the speed changes)

BTW - What would be an acceptable temp for 24/7 with the 3600?

So far I've tested stable (oh, well - "crash-less") 4300MHz @1.2V but evidently the temps get way to high... In the below screenshot I've pulled down the voltage quite a bit and it completes a 1200second run of Cinebench without crashing. Should I try to re-seat the cooler or is this expected with such a small box?

Ohh.. and don't say it - I know I went really cheap with the RAM... they are Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHz. Should have bought something faster for this CPU

b2C0CL.jpg
Get a Dark Rock 4 Pro. Your temps will plummet ;)

I have mine at 4.4GHz all cores and at 1.275v 24/7 and have better temps. Can take some readings for you if you want.

Faster ram may have indeed been better, especially if you are on lower than 4K resolution and play games in double digit fps count. Download aida 64 and run latency test.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Good thing is with that RAM you are stressing the CPU to find what it can push then settle. Get better RAM later whichever your IF can sing with.

I have an AIO on mine and it seems to top out at 68c while the cpu throttles itself beyond this. My cpu is not as unicorn your both yours so it needs over 1.3v to be stable. So on this basis I think whatever speed you can reach on lowest stable voltage below 70c is your guide.

Back
Top Bottom