• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Sandy, Ivy and Haswell (Hazzy?) Upgrade Thread

Caporegime
4790k here, upgrading next year to Zen 4 and X570, I might even go for the 12-core. 4790k still going strong so a have time to switch to something really worthwhile.
2500k still chugging along.

At this point I'm almost willing to bet money on my being the last person here to upgrade. Zen 3 and X670, hopefully ;) In 2021.

Soldato
2500k still chugging along.

At this point I'm almost willing to bet money on my being the last person here to upgrade. Zen 3 and X670, hopefully ;) In 2021.

Probably. My 2500K was chugging, I got my money's worth it of it but it was maxing out regularly and definitely holding my GPUs back. 3700X is light night and day and will last a long time, however a Zen 3 16C would be tempting around 12 months after launch. Now that would last a long time :)

Associate
I think nowadays I tend to think that 'waiting' for x or y bit of tech to be released because "you've waited this long so you may as well wait some more", can drag things out a bit....as there is almost ALWAYS something else to wait for; so it becomes a bit drawn out. But of course everyone's individual needs and considerations are different, so what works for one person won't necessarily work for another.

I had wanted to upgrade my Sandy Bridge system for some time, but whacked in a 2600K two years ago, to replace the 2500K I'd been running for donkeys years. I did 'wait' for something before upgrading - but it wasn't so I could buy the latest hardware; it was to take advantage of the price drop in the previous year's items. Was pleased to have got a 2700X for £160. Should last a couple of years at the very least.

Caporegime
I think nowadays I tend to think that 'waiting' for x or y bit of tech to be released because "you've waited this long so you may as well wait some more", can drag things out a bit....as there is almost ALWAYS something else to wait for; so it becomes a bit drawn out. But of course everyone's individual needs and considerations are different, so what works for one person won't necessarily work for another.

I had wanted to upgrade my Sandy Bridge system for some time, but whacked in a 2600K two years ago, to replace the 2500K I'd been running for donkeys years. I did 'wait' for something before upgrading - but it wasn't so I could buy the latest hardware; it was to take advantage of the price drop in the previous year's items. Was pleased to have got a 2700X for £160. Should last a couple of years at the very least.
I'm waiting for something that isn't underwhelming, frankly. I'll wait as long as it takes to get something that's actually exciting.

Or it'll never happen and I'll just drift away from PC gaming entirely. Not really bothered.

Associate
I'm waiting for something that isn't underwhelming, frankly. I'll wait as long as it takes to get something that's actually exciting.

Or it'll never happen and I'll just drift away from PC gaming entirely. Not really bothered.

I've always worked on the basis of double the performance with CPU and GPU upgrades. Needs to be affordable too. Just not seeing that yet in the CPU market.

Soldato
if you held out this long you may as well wait for next amds and new intel late 2020 early 2021

I think certainly for AMDs, I doubt Intel mess this April will be worth looking at, dead platform or refreshes, and rebrands mainly, accompanied by lack of pcie4 etc.
If thinking long term, 5-7 years or more, i think the 4000s on a good mobo are going to be the way forward.
Intel will seem to offer absolutely nothing in general terms and retain their 1080p.720p frantic gaming crown, which i fear less people do than people actually imagine they do.

Caporegime
they said they cant offer anything against amd until 2021. going on past and how they are i think they will have good cpus for 2021. the new amd stuff is end of 2020. so hopefully we will have news of the new intel range by them.

Caporegime
My daily driver is my laptop (6700HQ and 1060 6GB) which handles 1080p fine, and will do me for Borderlands 3.

Come Cyberpunk next year, I will be looking towards my UnRaid server ([email protected] and 16GB ram) and prbably plop a cheap 2060 in it (recently sold the 980 that was in it as I wasn't using it) and see how it fairs.

Worst case, sell the cpu/mobo/ram/heatsink, and get cheap Zen or something.

Well as it turns out, I got 5700 for my 2700k machine. Witcher 3 running smooth as butter at 1440p.

Funnily enough, OC'd my chip performs on par with a stock 4770k.

I paid £180 for the 2700k in 2013. If I moved to a £170 3600, it would only net me a 25% increase (unless something has a hard-on for core/threads). And that would mean a new mobo and ram.

I could maybe get £150ish for my chip, Asus Maximus Gene V and 16GB DDR3, so almost covering the new cpu cost, but then I need a decent Matx/Mitx board which are pricier, and then some DDR4.

So £200ish outlay for 25% more performance.... I'll pass for now, even if my mobo only supports PCIE-3 so I am gimping my 5700 slightly.

Soldato
Well as it turns out, I got 5700 for my 2700k machine. Witcher 3 running smooth as butter at 1440p.

Funnily enough, OC'd my chip performs on par with a stock 4770k.

I paid £180 for the 2700k in 2013. If I moved to a £170 3600, it would only net me a 25% increase (unless something has a hard-on for core/threads). And that would mean a new mobo and ram.

I could maybe get £150ish for my chip, Asus Maximus Gene V and 16GB DDR3, so almost covering the new cpu cost, but then I need a decent Matx/Mitx board which are pricier, and then some DDR4.

So £200ish outlay for 25% more performance.... I'll pass for now, even if my mobo only supports PCIE-3 so I am gimping my 5700 slightly.

A Ryzen 3600 offers a lot more than 25% gains over a 2700K.

Back
Top Bottom