The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

Soldato
I think the difference really is that there isn't a back catalogue of lenses built up over decades as there is with Canon and Nikon. There is the adaptor route if that's what you want, but it seems like it will be a while before there's a good number of competing lenses available from different manufacturers as well as some lower cost options from Sony themselves.

Caporegime
Thanks again, will add them to my reading list.

Luckily my D5200 still has plenty of life left in her :), a first child is a perfect excuse for the upgrade perhaps ;):o:D.

I think the difference really is that there isn't a back catalogue of lenses built up over decades as there is with Canon and Nikon. There is the adaptor route if that's what you want, but it seems like it will be a while before there's a good number of competing lenses available from different manufacturers as well as some lower cost options from Sony themselves.

Which might time nicely for me if I go down the Sony route. Sony really sound like they have done a great job with this range and massively improved the battery recently (my main reason for not looking much into mirrorless).

Associate
Does anyone here have a Sony 85mm 1.8?

I have this but find the Eye AF is not that good at finding the eye.

This was my first lens but since I have now got a Ziess 55mm 1.8, this is much better and quick.

I was wondering if it is a faulty lens. It does work but just not as quick as the Ziess.

And

And

Associate
A couple of questions about the Sonys:

- With my DSLRs, when photographing wildlife in M, I'll often use auto iso. When using M/auto iso can you still dial in exposure compensation?
- Having not used a mirrorless and EVF, what I see in the EVF is what I'm going to get as an image in the same way as if I was using live view on a DSLR? That is, any changes I make to exposure are live to my eye.
- Do blinkies (highlights clipping) show live in the EVF?

Caporegime
A couple of questions about the Sonys:

- With my DSLRs, when photographing wildlife in M, I'll often use auto iso. When using M/auto iso can you still dial in exposure compensation?
- Having not used a mirrorless and EVF, what I see in the EVF is what I'm going to get as an image in the same way as if I was using live view on a DSLR? That is, any changes I make to exposure are live to my eye.
- Do blinkies (highlights clipping) show live in the EVF?

I believe the answer is Yes to all 3.

The last one you can use Zebras as well.

Caporegime
Going back to Raymond's earlier point, looks like the Tamron 28-75 2.8 is the dream lens for the A7iii for under £1k. Sounds like it does 90% of what the similar GM does for nearly a third of the cost.

Soldato
Going back to Raymond's earlier point, looks like the Tamron 28-75 2.8 is the dream lens for the A7iii for under £1k. Sounds like it does 90% of what the similar GM does for nearly a third of the cost.
I'd be interested to see the sales numbers of these against the A7III - I would imagine its very close! (Seems like a no-brainer to buy this lens with it)

Caporegime
Not sure how to find out but as you suggest, you would expect it to be close. I would imagine most people spending £2k on a camera are going to be bright enough to do some basic research which would inevitably lead them to the Tamron, dropping another £2k on glass just feels like a kick in the nuts compared to the Tamron :p.

Caporegime
Not sure how to find out but as you suggest, you would expect it to be close. I would imagine most people spending £2k on a camera are going to be bright enough to do some basic research which would inevitably lead them to the Tamron, dropping another £2k on glass just feels like a kick in the nuts compared to the Tamron :p.

You mean compared to the Sony GM 24-70?

Well, the differences are

1 - The Sony is weather sealed
2 - The Focus Ring is the "right" way round
3 - Compatibility is guaranteed
4 - Bragging rights

Caporegime
Pish posh Raymond, I would take -£1400 over those any day :p, and I did say 90%.

The weather sealing would the only of those 4 that I would be slightly bothered about. 2 only needs relearning and I presume 3 isn't an issue as reviews rate its compatability well.

Caporegime
Pish posh Raymond, I would take -£1400 over those any day :p, and I did say 90%.

The weather sealing would the only of those 4 that I would be slightly bothered about. 2 only needs relearning and I presume 3 isn't an issue as reviews rate its compatability well.

Oh and of course the 24mm, some people have to have that 24mm, over 75mm. As it is much easier to take a few steps forward than step back.

Associate
I'm very tempted to get an A7III and either the Sony 24-105 F4 or the Tamron 28-75 F2.8.

I think the extra range at both ends of the scale would be more useful to me than the extra stop of the Tamron if the image quality is similar. Has anyone compared the two ?

Associate
In going to China and Japan in a few weeks and I'm contemplating switching systems from to Sony and buying the gear there.
Any tips on whether it's significantly cheaper buying out there? China or Japan? Abs what about warranties?
Cheers

Soldato
In going to China and Japan in a few weeks and I'm contemplating switching systems from to Sony and buying the gear there.
Any tips on whether it's significantly cheaper buying out there? China or Japan? Abs what about warranties?
Cheers
I have seen the A73 for sale on Amazon over here for as little as £1770 - I cant see you saving enough out in the East to justify the loss of UK based warranty. When I bought at full retail on release, I could have saved a bit by going grey import, but decided against it.

This said, I would have no problems buying lenses out there.

Caporegime
Cheers

Don't buy tech in China, you might end up getting a fake if you are not careful.
Japan isn't that much cheaper than getting it online, plus you are not risking getting caught paying VAT and fees when you come back.

Back
Top Bottom