The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
I've noticed a few A7C users whilst browsing this thread, I'm currently using a Canon M5 and was recently really disappointed with the pictures from a trip of a lifetime to Lapland with the kids, we're hoping to go to Florida and do the whole Disney experience at the end of the year and it's got me looking at upgrades, the A7C jumps out for me with the full frame sensor (something I've always wanted), size the M5 is a great size especially with the 22m pancake, the A7C is slightly narrower and shorter, seems like a really nice size family camera without the need to carry a lot around.
I'd be looking at just the kit lens at the moment and maybe adding a prime in the future. How does it fair for people, pro's and cons please? I'm just working through a few trusted reviews and everything seems positive.

Associate
@JRJ

I've been using mine almost daily now since December. So not so long, but long enough. I'm using it as a family camera with young kids, and bought it as I was disappointed with all the images from my 600D.

Long story short, I absolutely couldn't be happier. The size is great, the look of it I love, and the auto eye AF is an absolute photography hack - simply amazing. Seriously, it's completely game changing. Suddenly all my shots of the kids are pin sharp and perfectly focused (even on swings and roundabouts etc) - something I simply couldn't achieve with the 600D.

The other fantastic point in my view, is that when you adjust the shutter speed or exposure etc, the images on the screen is showing you exactly how it'll look when you take the shot. This may well be the norm for mirrorless (I don't know), but it's totally unlocked manual shooting for me, as I'm no longer guessing what the result will be, shooting, checking, realising I'm miles off, trying again, etc etc. It's much more enjoyable now.

There are only two down points I can think of really. First is that the kit lens isn't great in low light. I've set the ISO to a limit, otherwise the camera cracks it right up to compensate, resulting in noisy images.

Second is that when you hold the camera in portrait mode, the strap wants to fall in front of the eyepiece, which then automatically switches off the screen. Minor annoyance.

Lenses wise, I've also picked up the Sony 50mm f1.8 and the Samyang 35mm 2.8 AF. They were about £100 each second hand, and they've been really good. The 35mm is pretty much on the camera all the time around the house. Next purchase will probably be some form of 20-something to 70 2.8 (Sigma, Sony, Tamron and Samyang all do them) to replace the kit lens when I don't need it so compact.

There's also the Tamron 24mm 2.8 that I'm sure I'll end up picking up.

Last edited:

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
@JRJ

I've been using mine almost daily now since December. So not so long, but long enough. I'm using it as a family camera with young kids, and bought it as I was disappointed with all the images from my 600D.

Long story short, I absolutely couldn't be happier. The size is great, the look of it I love, and the auto eye AF is an absolute photography hack - simply amazing. Seriously, it's completely game changing. Suddenly all my shots of the kids are pin sharp and perfectly focused (even on swings and roundabouts etc) - something I simply couldn't achieve with the 600D.

The other fantastic point in my view, is that when you adjust the shutter speed or exposure etc, the images on the screen is showing you exactly how it'll look when you take the shot. This may well be the norm for mirrorless (I don't know), but it's totally unlocked manual shooting for me, as I'm no longer guessing what the result will be, shooting, checking, realising I'm miles off, trying again, etc etc. It's much more enjoyable now.

There are only two down points I can think of really. First is that the kit lens isn't great in low light. I've set the ISO to a limit, otherwise the camera cracks it right up to compensate, resulting in noisy images.

Second is that when you hold the camera in portrait mode, the strap wants to fall in front of the eyepiece, which then automatically switches off the screen. Minor annoyance.

Lenses wise, I've also picked up the Sony 50mm f1.8 and the Samyang 35mm 2.8 AF. They were about £100 each second hand, and they've been really good. The 35mm is pretty much on the camera all the time around the house. Next purchase will probably be some form of 20-something to 70 2.8 (Sigma, Sony, Tamron and Samyang all do them) to replace the kit lens when I don't need it so compact.

There's also the Tamron 24mm 2.8 that I'm sure I'll end up picking up.

@AyeAyeAhoy! That's great info much appreciated, my use would be very much the same as yours and as much as I enjoy setting up a shot I've lazily been using auto mode on my M5 just to capture the kids quickly so not ideal. I've previously had a A6000 with exactly the same lenses as you but probably didn't perceiver enough to get used to the menus and setting up and moved it on pretty quick.

Looks like prices have sky rocketed though with some people in this post getting kit lens and grip for £1700ish back in November, Wex currently have this at £2099.

How do you find missing the flash?

One worrying post though is that Sony are currently not making them so probably why prices are high and stock low.

Associate
@JRJ No prob! The lazy auto mode has always been my only way of doing things, until now! So long as you’re happy to let the camera do the ISO itself (apart from the limit you can add), then on your thumb you have shutter speed and apature, and on the top exposure compensation, all immediately adjustable without any menus, so it’s really fast - fast enough for kids. And with seeing on the screen what it will look like, it’s ideal. (I imagine you’re the same as me, in that you’ll want to just dial the shutter speed to as fast as it can go before it starts to get too dark, basically)

I’m not missing the flash from the 600D, frankly becaue I never used it - didn’t like it. I suppose a flash on the A7C might help the kit lens, but the 2.8 zooms would effectively fix that for me. I don’t miss it on the primes.

I was one of the ones who got it then, for that price. Took a while to turn up though. If it didn’t drop to that price, then my backup was this shop…

https://ukcameraclub.co.uk/sony-a7c-digital-camera-with-28-60mm-lens-2898-p.asp

I’ve never used them so can’t vouch for them at all, but I did go through trust pilot reviews etc and it looks like people were receiving genuine euro stock, which validates on the Sony site no problems. I wouldn’t lose sleep over the shooting grip - mine is still in the box.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Thanks all for your replies, @robj20 I'm not bothered about grey imports and done it many times unfortunately e-infinity are one of the retailers out of stock otherwise I'd have jumped at it with their price.
Wex have given me an ok trade in price for my M5 and lenses but I've asked if they would price match other retailers which I'm waiting on a reply, even with trade in this brings it down to E-infinity price :rolleyes:
I'm tempted to hold off but don't anticipate stock for a while.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Yer MPB is another option, Digitalrev have stock at £300 cheaper than UK, anyone used them recently, been about 8years ish since I used them last.

Soldato
Thanks all for your replies, @robj20 I'm not bothered about grey imports and done it many times unfortunately e-infinity are one of the retailers out of stock otherwise I'd have jumped at it with their price.
Wex have given me an ok trade in price for my M5 and lenses but I've asked if they would price match other retailers which I'm waiting on a reply, even with trade in this brings it down to E-infinity price :rolleyes:
I'm tempted to hold off but don't anticipate stock for a while.
That’s a shame, they were in stock this morning until 7am.

This is a decent price too, ordered from them a few times and always been good.

https://nextdaydeal.co.uk/products/sony-alpha-a7c-mirrorless-digital-camera-28-60mm-lens-kit-black

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
That’s a shame, they were in stock this morning until 7am.

This is a decent price too, ordered from them a few times and always been good.

https://nextdaydeal.co.uk/products/sony-alpha-a7c-mirrorless-digital-camera-28-60mm-lens-kit-black

That's interesting with the stock, they showed out of stock yesterday and just now when I checked I wonder if they're drip feeding them through, might set up an email alert to see.

That is a good price and on par with Digitalrev but still £200 more expensive than E-infinity

Associate
I've just bought a Sigma MC-11 (Castle cameras offer @ £179 btw) so I could use my Canon 70-200 f2.8L II with my A7iii and I've been trying it out in the house and it's working surprisingly well. Face and eye tracking (kids and dog) appear to work fine, which is the main thing for me. One thing I did notice is that the LED on the MC-11 isn't lighting up. Does it only work with Canon-fit Sigma lenses? Or is it telling me the Canon lens isn't compatible? Because it appears to work fine. I guess I'm thinking if it should work, but isn't, then it's a faulty LED. Does anyone else have this combination and can confirm?

Soldato
Has anybody had any success using the Hoya R-72 infrared filter on either a Sony A73 or Sony A7R4?
I cant find anything definitive with regard to the results.

Edit: I just had a word with Wex about this and they suggested I try it and return it if it didn't work. So maybe this is the option in the abscence of any confirmatory advice.

Last edited:
Soldato
So what's people's thoughts on a ar7 IV a with a 200-600 lens for wildlife?
Really tempted.but slightly nervous about some of the issues of images been soft that people are having.

Are the video functions good, I use them for recording the little one so needs to be good at a minimum

I have a r5 at the moment with a sigma 150-600c and find the images to be soft as hell and well just rubbish when I compare it to my old d850 setup with the same lens.
Not impressed with the 100-500 and the cost of that and a TC are astronomical! The 800 f11 looks good but trying to find birds at that focal length without zooming out first at times is a pain!

And

And

Associate
Do you need the MP? If not the A7IV will do a grand job with the 200-600.

Finding birds at 800mm isn't so much of a problem, I'd be more concerned at being stuck at f11.

I'm surprised at you struggling with the R5/Sigma combo, especially if it's R-mount. If I find I'm getting soft images I always take a step back and consider my camera settings, technique and the conditions I'm shooting in (eg is there heat haze) as 99.9% of the time it's me at error and not the gear.

Soldato
So what's people's thoughts on a ar7 IV a with a 200-600 lens for wildlife?
Really tempted.but slightly nervous about some of the issues of images been soft that people are having.

Are the video functions good, I use them for recording the little one so needs to be good at a minimum

I have a r5 at the moment with a sigma 150-600c and find the images to be soft as hell and well just rubbish when I compare it to my old d850 setup with the same lens.
Not impressed with the 100-500 and the cost of that and a TC are astronomical! The 800 f11 looks good but trying to find birds at that focal length without zooming out first at times is a pain!
There’s more than just image quality when it comes to picking the Sony A7R4A.

61mp files are huge and if you’re importing a lot of images, if you’ve got a fairly average computer you might find it lagging while importing.

If you buy grey import, the A7R4A and the A74 are very similar in price but the new 33mp sensor is much more user friendly and from what I’ve seen online and my personal opinion it produces stunning images.

There are pros and cons to choosing either, the new ‘A’ version of the R series has a higher resolution LCD screen but the A74 has a fully articulating screen if that’s something you’d get the use from. The grip is also better on the A74 as it shares the same body as the Sony A7S3 and the A1.

The autofocus system is also a lot better on the A74 as it’s the exact same autofocus system as the A1.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom